:::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.:::

:::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/index.php)
-   Caravan or Towing (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   ball & pin vs high reach alko type ball hitch (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30212)

Thomas-the-Terrano2 10-09-2019 23:22

ball & pin vs high reach alko type ball hitch

Anyone used a ball/pin hitch with an Alko stabilizer caravan coupling?

Believed Alko balls were longer reach but also high reach.

Looking at ball pin hitch where the ball is separate to the pin, most look
pretty high reach by design and also longer reach out from bracket.

Lazy-Ferret 11-09-2019 08:48

You may want to read the "Lazy Ferret" thread you started, I put my woes on using the wrong one in there.

I have always used a dixon bate (ball and pin) type coupling, but hit big problems when I changed to the Jeep. You can actually buy a Dixon Bate ball and pin designed for Alko couplings, but it is very expensive. It's the way I ended up going, but only after the origanal one cost 9me an arm and a leg, and nearly the car and caravan.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thomas-the-Terrano2 11-09-2019 09:47

Saw that but what came into contact as surely leading edge of trailer coupling is no where near car or hitch. Is the height of the ball then in a yawing action or even a rolling action. Noticed the alko dB one has place to store pin away from usual so is that pinch point as thinking could remove it when towing.

Yawing seems most likely cause but then would only expect it to come into play on extreme ramp unless car suspension bottomed out too?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Lazy-Ferret 11-09-2019 13:07

I did wonder if I had removed the pin, if I would have been ok, but at £300 odd a time for the Alko coupling, I was not willing to risk it a second time... not to mention Suz was very unhappy about the whole incident, so I needed to be able to reassure her everything was now perfect.

The suspension did not bottom out, but compared to the T2, the suspension is a lot softer on JGC. Also the distance from rear wheels to the towbar is greater than the T2, so theres a lot more leverage.

I had noticed in the past though, that even on the T2, the bottom of the Alko levers had a few marks where they had rubbed, presumably on tight turns, and again on the pin.

Banshee 11-09-2019 13:12

The T2 will always be the superior tow vehicle of choice for me :naughty

Lazy-Ferret 11-09-2019 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banshee (Post 364564)
The T2 will always be the superior tow vehicle of choice for me :naughty

I honestly think the T2 is the best tug I have ever used. Having used several Volvos, a car that won countless towing awards, I feel the T2 was infinitely better, but the JGC is up there with it.