:::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.:::

:::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/index.php)
-   Caravan or Towing (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   spare wheel lift (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29304)

micktheshed 22-04-2018 18:46

spare wheel lift

Just bought a newish caravan with the black Al-Co hitch (as opposed to the older red one. It is really tight to couple/uncouple compared to the older one as it needs more stroke.
I finally resorted to elongating the holes in the mounting bracket & removing the single stud altogether (worst part of the job). What was wrong with using 4 bolts in the first place? This has raised the wheel 20/25mm but I could have done with more.
Has any-one else done similar or an improved version?

Thomas-the-Terrano2 22-04-2018 19:53

Often put spare in boot for holiday towing as don't need the 3rd row of seats. It's then a breeze. Currently have a space with my standard tow ball but on cards to use an alko extended ball too.

Thomas-the-Terrano2 22-04-2018 19:54

Some say can invert carrier but the stud vs bolts makes it another hassle.

Lazy-Ferret 22-04-2018 22:19

I have done it on both of our T2's...

On mine, because I have a hard spare wheel cover with the number plate mounted on it, not only is it bigger in diameter than the spare wheel, but it has a deeper dish, so the rear wiper would hit it, and it was impossible to get the caravan stabiliser hitch on the back at all. Since I had to space the wheel further out from the door so the wiper missed the spare wheel cover, I cut 2 bits of 25mm square box section, one went across the top two bolts, and the other across the bottom. I then got a bit of 6mm Aluminium Chequer plate that was the length of the spare wheel carrier, plus the distance I wanted to lift it, bolted that to the door where the old carrier went, with the spacers holding it away from the door, and then bolted the carrier to the plate, further up. I went a bit OTT, as I don't use the back window, as I have the camera linked to a monitor where the rear view mirror was mounted.

Been like that for about 4 years, and it's a dream to put the van on the back, as it is miles away from the spare wheel now.

You can see the before and after on the 2 T2's in this picture.

http://lazy-ferret.co.uk/chevereto/i...015_153111.jpg

Suz's is now similar, only not as high, and I welded the square tube spacer up into a bracket that also had a place to mount the PMR radio aerial onto it as well.

Thomas-the-Terrano2 24-04-2018 16:52

Wow best is doddle hitching up. When look at discovery and colarado are higher up. But shogun seems low or ball has to come out long way to clear

Thomas-the-Terrano2 13-05-2018 23:09

has T reg had body lift as well.

Any photos of the bracket

micktheshed 15-05-2018 19:02

Had a second go at improving the clearance. This time I've drilled 4 new holes to allow the wheel to sit approx. 20mm higher & 35mm to the nearside. Not a lot but it is an improvement.
If this doesn't work I'll have to look into making some spacers from square section tube. Only other thing I can think of is to get a longer tow ball, 25mm would do it.

RJL Services 15-05-2018 19:55

1 Attachment(s)
you can buy towball spacers that sit between towbar and ball fitting think they are like these

jims-terrano 15-05-2018 20:20

My 3 litre has the spacer as posted above as well as an extended towball.

terranosaurusdoug 15-05-2018 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jims-terrano (Post 352837)
My 3 litre has the spacer as posted above as well as an extended towball.

All it needs now is a sender unit :D :hide:

jims-terrano 15-05-2018 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by terranosaurusdoug (Post 352838)

All in hand buddy and there’s no hurry as I’m not exactly off the road so happy days.

micktheshed 16-05-2018 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJL Services (Post 352836)
you can buy towball spacers that sit between towbar and ball fitting think they are like these

Unfortunately mine is not that type. It's a ball & arm design so the complete item would need changing.

Banshee 16-05-2018 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by terranosaurusdoug (Post 352838)

:lol :eek:

jims-terrano 16-05-2018 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by micktheshed (Post 352860)
Unfortunately mine is not that type. It's a ball & arm design so the complete item would need changing.

“Swan Neck” type

zippy656 16-05-2018 21:16

Ok so...

Alko make a removeable handle about £50 ��

But!!!!

Remover spare wheel.
Remover bracket ��
Now the clever bit rorate bracket 180 deg. And refit. Wheel should be 2" higher.

Also make sure you got the long neck tow ball