:::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.:::

:::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/index.php)
-   I'm new here, please be gentle (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   which one (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29352)

Higgy 13-05-2018 13:47

which one

Hi to all. im a newbie to the site from Kent I currently drive a Toyota landcruiser iv just upgraded my trailer to a tri axle 24ft long and am looking to up grade my truck I need more horse power.ive been looking at 4.2 amazons.but there is not a lot out there that fit my requirements then I thought well what about a patrol...... so which is the one to get ? I don't do offroad its just for lugging my trailer about. so which Patrol has the best GVW. which models are the lower road tax bracket etc etc I don't care for speed. the truck has to work and do the job.look forward to your expert opinions.. maybe you can convert me over to a Patrol... ps im not interested in any Navaras. don't mean to offend Thanks Higgy

Higgy 13-05-2018 20:34

wrong truck

maybe its because I mentioned landcruiser

don simon 13-05-2018 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgy (Post 352777)
maybe its because I mentioned landcruiser

I think that people have been away over the weekend, someone will be along shortly.
And welcome.

jims-terrano 13-05-2018 20:47

Yeah welcome aboard higgy, tends to be quieter during the day on a weekend when weather is so nice. Sorry not my field but I know we have a few Patrol owners on here. Stick with us we are a real friendly bunch.

solarman216 13-05-2018 20:55

Hi and welcome mate, I am a new Patrol owner, but cannot say much about its towing ability as have not had the opportunity so far apart from one trailer of scrap to Hastings (5 miles) gross 4120 kg so not a real test, plate in engine bay says 6200kg gross mine is a 2.8 TD, others will be along with theirs a some point, Rick

Higgy 13-05-2018 21:29

thanks

Thanks for the info mate.. the GVW seems good need to look at a few. do I go for 2.8 or 3.0 heard different opinions on which is best.. il keep watching the site thanks for the info..

solarman216 13-05-2018 21:40

Might add my 2.8 is a Y60 mechanical pump so although it is not inter-cooled it is tweak-able as opposed the Y61 with the inter-cooler and fly by wire ECU controlled pump, the 3 is in my opinion not worth looking at, as dual mass flywheel and pump issues, but stress only my opinion, Rick

Barrbeast 14-05-2018 00:00

Gvw figures are pretty easy to find on the net but when you say gvw is it actually rated tow capacity you're interested in? If so then all manual Y61 Patrols are rated to tow 3.5 tonnes, autos are only rated to 2.5.

As to 2.8 vs 3.0, there's plenty online about both but touching on what Rick said first, I'm fairly sure both 2.8 and 3.0 Y61s are dual mass flywheel (from memory) with dmf failure just as likely on both but solid flywheel conversions are available.

I'm not sure what you're thinking of Rick but the 3.0 issues aren't fuel pump related (provided you don't try putting veg oil through it). The pre 2003 3.0 engines were rife with issues then the design was tweaked and the later engines should be fine provided they're maintained properly and any modding is properly researched. The bad rep has hung around due partly to people's memories of the bad early design but also due to folk not keeping up the maintenance and/or messing around with the engine without knowing what they are doing leading to issues resulting mainly from the engine overboosting. Basically, before doing any mods to the 3.0 engine (eg. blanking the egr or fitting a bigger exhaust etc) you have to first do something to control the boost levels. Keep her standard and properly maintained you should be fine though. All 3.0 are DI until around 2006 when they became CRD.

Personally I ran a heavily modded 2004 3.0 Trol for 4 years before selling her on last year and getting an older 4.2. I modded the engine a bit during that time (egr blank, straight through exhaust), but researched what I was doing and had no issues despite plenty offroad abuse. Far as I know she's still going strong.

I'm not so up on the 2.8s but I know they can have headgasket issues but every engine has its known faults :nenau You'll find though, any 2.8 will be an older vehicle as they stopped fitting the 2.8s in early 2000s I think (?)

Terrano Steve 14-05-2018 05:53

I am in a similar position to the op I have a swb Terrano which spends most of it's life towing (only up to 16 foot tandem Ifor Williams & plant trailers). I have yet to do my homework on towing capacity of either but think a swb Patrol or swb Landcruiser would suit me better than any of the double cab trucks when I replace the Terrano.
I believe Toyota are releasing a swb commercial Land Cruiser here this year which was only previously available in Ireland.

Higgy 14-05-2018 06:53

Thanks

Thanks for all the info..lots to think about. I have a LWB Colorado ive had it years and its clocked up nearly 275,000 its never let me down.but with the addition of a tri axle trailer now im sure when loaded it will be too much for the old girl. I did a 450 round trip from sandwich to yon side of Birmingham last week with trailer when I got back I was knackerd so im looking for more modern and comfort in my old years..il keep watching the site seems to have a good bunch of lads..... All the best