:::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.:::

:::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/index.php)
-   I'm new here, please be gentle (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   New to forum but not to patrols (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29989)

perk423 06-04-2019 11:21

New to forum but not to patrols

Hi all
As per title I'm new to the forum but have owned Patrols before. I've had an L26 with a Perkins 4236 conversion and a Y60. Altogether done about 700k miles in them.

After the Y60 died I went on to other vehicles as I wasnt too fussed about the mickey-mouse engine that was in the Y61.

However I've started thinking, as I'm fancying returning to Patrols.

So, question:

Can anyone tell me please if the 4.2 diesel or the 4.5 or 4.8 petrol was available in the Y61 for the Japanese market ? 'Cos if they are I'm seriously thinking about importing.

Regards
Andy

macabethiel 06-04-2019 12:14

Does this link answer your question ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by perk423 (Post 361909)
Hi all
As per title I'm new to the forum but have owned Patrols before. I've had an L26 with a Perkins 4236 conversion and a Y60. Altogether done about 700k miles in them.

After the Y60 died I went on to other vehicles as I wasnt too fussed about the mickey-mouse engine that was in the Y61.

However I've started thinking, as I'm fancying returning to Patrols.

So, question:

Can anyone tell me please if the 4.2 diesel or the 4.5 or 4.8 petrol was available in the Y61 for the Japanese market ? 'Cos if they are I'm seriously thinking about importing.

Regards
Andy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Patrol

perk423 06-04-2019 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by macabethiel (Post 361911)

Thanks for reply and link. I have seen that one, read it, and still couldnt work out if it specifically said those configurations were available in Japan.

BTW noticed on your profile that you have a GC, thats what I went for after my last Patrol, now have a Grand Cherokee ZG.

Like the car generally, but dont trust it due to electrickery gremlins. Also a bit of a low towing limit.

Andy

roger1951 06-04-2019 13:46

smoke

dose anyone know how to replace valve guides on a 2.8 y61 patrol

Barrbeast 07-04-2019 11:21

I would be surprised if Japan didn't run the full breadth of Y61 engine options tbh :nenau

I'm sure I've seen imported TD42 Y61s that looked Jap spec (eg. no rear lights in bumper).

I run a Jap import TD42 Y60 myself.

macabethiel 07-04-2019 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by perk423 (Post 361913)
Thanks for reply and link. I have seen that one, read it, and still couldnt work out if it specifically said those configurations were available in Japan.

BTW noticed on your profile that you have a GC, thats what I went for after my last Patrol, now have a Grand Cherokee ZG.

Like the car generally, but dont trust it due to electrickery gremlins. Also a bit of a low towing limit.

Andy

I am not familiar with the the ZG is it like the ZJ ?

perk423 08-04-2019 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by macabethiel (Post 361934)
I am not familiar with the the ZG is it like the ZJ ?

Hi
Yes, same car, the ZJ were American import, the ZG was assembled in Europe in Gratz.
Andy

macabethiel 08-04-2019 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by perk423 (Post 361945)
Hi
Yes, same car, the ZJ were American import, the ZG was assembled in Europe in Gratz.
Andy

Before we bought our old r3mR I looked at a couple of ZJ's or it might have been a ZG one was a petrol with LPG conversion but it had a blown head gasket when I looked closer. The second one as I recall was a diesel it had an odd arrangement with four separate cylinder heads.

Our WK(Mk1) is great to drive but it is quite a complex Merc designed V6, for some reason we like the feel of the older WJ with its more plodding 5 cylinder Merc designed unit complete with the 5 cylinder engine note thrum.

perk423 08-04-2019 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by macabethiel (Post 361949)
Before we bought our old r3mR I looked at a couple of ZJ's or it might have been a ZG one was a petrol with LPG conversion but it had a blown head gasket when I looked closer. The second one as I recall was a diesel it had an odd arrangement with four separate cylinder heads.

Our WK(Mk1) is great to drive but it is quite a complex Merc designed V6, for some reason we like the feel of the older WJ with its more plodding 5 cylinder Merc designed unit complete with the 5 cylinder engine note thrum.

Whilst the Jeeps are undoubtably nice vehicles, I think if you do get a Patrol you'll be hooked, just as I was. After 4 years still want another Patrol

Re: my initial post and enquiry, I've found that the 4.5 & 4.8 Y61 are available in Japan, so started ball rolloing to import

macabethiel 09-04-2019 02:55

Nissan Patrol just one below a G Wagen

Quote:

Originally Posted by perk423 (Post 361952)
Whilst the Jeeps are undoubtably nice vehicles, I think if you do get a Patrol you'll be hooked, just as I was. After 4 years still want another Patrol

Re: my initial post and enquiry, I've found that the 4.5 & 4.8 Y61 are available in Japan, so started ball rolloing to import

I love the Patrol (might get one one day) but as I only buy a used 4x4 with under 75k max on the clock they have been way outside my £6k price limit. Yes the Jeep is not top of it's tree but IMHO it's good value in the lower price band.

perk423 09-04-2019 06:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by macabethiel (Post 361960)
I love the Patrol (might get one one day) but as I only buy a used 4x4 with under 75k max on the clock they have been way outside my £6k price limit. Yes the Jeep is not top of it's tree but IMHO it's good value in the lower price band.

You could risk a much higher mileage than that with a Patrol. The TD42 engine was renown for being able to run up starship mileage. 500k was not unusual.

I had 350 on mine and just like new.

perk423 09-04-2019 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by macabethiel (Post 361960)

Here's a nice looking example, cut/paste into browser:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=NISSAN&page=1

If I wasn't planning a different route I might have been tempted to look at this one myself. :D

Banshee 09-04-2019 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by perk423 (Post 361961)
You could risk a much higher mileage than that with a Patrol. The TD42 engine was renown for being able to run up starship mileage. 500k was not unusual.

I had 350 on mine and just like new.

I'm hoping to get similar mileage out of my TD27 on the veg :naughty

Thomas-the-Terrano2 09-04-2019 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by perk423 (Post 361962)
Here's a nice looking example, cut/paste into browser:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=NISSAN&page=1

If I wasn't planning a different route I might have been tempted to look at this one myself. :D

That is nice, quite fancy going back to a Y61, had one ten years ago but was lot of trouble
on the then new ZD engine. Had a ZD powered Terrano 3 years has restored faith in the
engine.

Mind thinking back its a shame there isnt a nice 6 pot under that long bonnet and would
have been great if Nissan had done a 6 cylinder ZD with a cc around 4.5 litre and say
240 bhp out of the box...... a modernisation of the 4.2TD I guess.

perk423 09-04-2019 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas-the-Terrano2 (Post 361990)
That is nice, quite fancy going back to a Y61, had one ten years ago but was lot of trouble
on the then new ZD engine. Had a ZD powered Terrano 3 years has restored faith in the
engine.

Mind thinking back its a shame there isnt a nice 6 pot under that long bonnet and would
have been great if Nissan had done a 6 cylinder ZD with a cc around 4.5 litre and say
240 bhp out of the box...... a modernisation of the 4.2TD I guess.

Absolutely agree. Thats why I'm on a mission to import a 4.5 from Jap land. :cool:
Andy