:::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.:::

:::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/index.php)
-   Show us yours (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Rustics Old Maverick (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30258)

jims-terrano 13-10-2019 18:54

Rustics Old Maverick

Hi All, I’ve picked up a new truck today but unfortunately I’ve just got back and it’s too dark to take a photo but I reckon a number of people would recognise it since it used to be on here a couple of years ago. I’m now the custodian of Rustics old Maverick, after laying in slumber for a few years only moving for MOT each April it’s just driven nearly 100 miles without missing a beat. The battery was replaced for MOT but unfortunately was totally dead today, I’d taken a good battery with me so changed it over with my son. My son gave it two goes on the heater plugs before cranking and it fired up first crank and ran as if it had been run yesterday.
Roz got in touch with me a couple of weeks ago saying the time was right to let it go, family had thought about we buy any car .com :eek:.

So the Mav runs again and I think it’s beautiful condition and the way it’s run today is testament to Uncle Rustic. My plans are to see what on earth all these switches and wires do, all sorts of cables left right and centre. I do not intend to modify suspension or engine intakes and I don’t intend to take it off road other than supermarket car park. The steering is a little heavy so along with a good looking over and a service it’ll be pretty much kept as is. Hopefully take a few photos in the daylight and post them up for you.

elty001 13-10-2019 19:07

Nice that it's still in the Forum family :thumb2:thumb2

macabethiel 13-10-2019 19:25

Best Provence you could have!

Wow that was one cared for one owner motor !

solarman216 13-10-2019 20:20

Glad you got it Jim, gone to a good home, Rustic lives on, Rick

Blocky10 13-10-2019 20:36

Excellent news Jim. Glad you are it's new carer. :thumbs:thumbs

jims-terrano 13-10-2019 20:48

Cheers guys, some how it feels like a responsibility too. I’m so i pressed that it started up first crank without any problem at all.
One thing that I noticed and that’s the steering is very heavy when manoeuvring at slower speeds, didn’t check the power steering fluid today so that’ll be for tomorrow. I’m sure there will be a few updates regarding this truck as time goes by, I’ve had to take a completely new insurance policy out without any NC bonus so it’s a very limited mileage policy so it’ll have an easy life.

macabethiel 14-10-2019 13:40

Heavy Steering

Quote:

Originally Posted by jims-terrano (Post 365083)
One thing that I noticed and that’s the steering is very heavy when manoeuvring at slower speeds, didn’t check the power steering fluid today so that’ll be for tomorrow.

I guess you might be thinking the suspension has seized through lack of use could it be something simpler?

You will have checked but could it be the front tyre pressures are just a tad on the low side?

jims-terrano 14-10-2019 16:28

Hi Ted well we checked tyre pressures and pumped them all up as they all needed a bit.
Seems to have eased off a bit now so possibly just power steering sexed freeing off a bit.
Have been clearing it out a little this afternoon and typically uncle rustic style there’s wires and switches all over. Some I’ve worked out and some not (yet) and to be honest I’ve loved it. There’s even a safe in there, so that’s where the locking wheel nut key and manuals are :lol

I’ve put the brand new battery that was fitted in April on charge but it appears to be dead which is a pity but I’m not too fussed about buying it a pair of new batteries and yes a pair as Rustic fitted a second complete with old type starter switch operated by a switch in the car to give extra starting umph as I remember him using those exact words.

Banshee 15-10-2019 11:06

I'm so glad that it's still with us, I would have been mortified if I'd have found out Webuyanycar had got their hands on it. If the family were considering that option, I guess you got it for a good price too ;)

Would be nice to see some fresh pics of it :cool:

jims-terrano 15-10-2019 11:39

I’ll probably get chance for a few photos later but it seriously hasn’t changed since the rustic road trip.
A good excuse for a meet up sometime :thumbs

Banshee 15-10-2019 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jims-terrano (Post 365116)
I’ll probably get chance for a few photos later but it seriously hasn’t changed since the rustic road trip.
A good excuse for a meet up sometime :thumbs

Just what I was thinking :D

macabethiel 15-10-2019 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jims-terrano (Post 365093)
I’ve put the brand new battery that was fitted in April on charge but it appears to be dead which is a pity but I’m not too fussed about buying it a pair of new batteries and yes a pair as Rustic fitted a second complete with old type starter switch operated by a switch in the car to give extra starting umph as I remember him using those exact words.

When I worked at MB the new cars that stood in the showroom for a couple of months often had batteries that would not charge again.

MB rejected any claim for a new battery it the charge level was below a certain level. Most battery warranties are the same - they will only accept claims for dead cells generally.

Have you tried recondition mode on a C-Tek type unit ? As you know most over the counter chargers will not recharge a completely flat battery unless you lucky enough to have one that 4o years old!

jims-terrano 15-10-2019 17:20

I’ve been out and treated the truck to a pair of Yuasa batteries and a pair of wiper blades. Wipers are on but the batteries will have to wait until my son comes home from work.
Gave it a bath this afternoon and water was just beaded off and it probably hasn’t been polished for about 4 years.

macabethiel 15-10-2019 18:07

Yuassa - only he best !

Quote:

Originally Posted by jims-terrano (Post 365129)
I’ve been out and treated the truck to a pair of Yuasa batteries and a pair of wiper blades. Wipers are on but the batteries will have to wait until my son comes home from work.
Gave it a bath this afternoon and water was just beaded off and it probably hasn’t been polished for about 4 years.

My favourite brand as on our WJ had to make do with Hankook on the WK !

jims-terrano 15-10-2019 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by macabethiel (Post 365132)
My favourite brand as on our WJ had to make do with Hankook on the WK !

Yes got to admit they do seem pretty good batteries, fitted them for several years.

Wiped myself out for today, done far too much so I’m just laid out contemplating sleep.