:::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.:::

:::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/index.php)
-   Members free classifieds and wanted items. (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Wanted - Cheap MIG welder (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29286)

Banshee 15-04-2018 16:46

Wanted - Cheap MIG welder

As in the title guys, I'm looking for a MG welder so I can sort stuff out here and there for myself like exhaust hangers etc, hopefully no sills for a few years with all the Waxoyl :lol

Would much prefer to take on a cheapo DIY project one and fix it up for not much money if possible, or could do a deal on some tech I have at the moment, laptops, computers etc :nenau

Talk to me guys, you never know, I could get a nack for it and do mobile welding services for members only (no facebook :augie ) :lol

Jay666d 15-04-2018 21:02

I've definitely missed something with this Facebook thing! :confused:

don simon 15-04-2018 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay666d (Post 351882)
I've definitely missed something with this Facebook thing! :confused:

No you haven't.

Blocky10 15-04-2018 21:16

:lol:lol:lol

Jay666d 15-04-2018 21:52

:doh

terranosaurusdoug 15-04-2018 22:59

Have a look for second hand cheapo ones, people buy them as flux core welders then change the wire and add gas but don't change the polarity (2xnuts,2xwires) so they won't weld properly and they think its crap or broken and try to offload it :thumb2

Terrano Steve 17-04-2018 14:54

From what I have read on mig welding forum Clarke are good diy level welders with reasonable duty cycle & able to be turned down to low voltage settings for thinner metal. I was told to steer clear of Sealey as they have ali wound transformers but that said I know someone with a sealey 180 & it is a nice machine.

jonny 17-04-2018 22:16

Personally i would save up a little more and buy a slightly more expensive one. Much better to use and better results. I have a Clarke 135TE Turbo MIG Welder. Its ok but would be better with a variable control rather than just 2 high low buttons. I had to get one quick as my other died but am saving for a better one, probably a TIG. But i would recommend Clarke.

terranosaurusdoug 17-04-2018 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny (Post 351950)
Personally i would save up a little more and buy a slightly more expensive one. Much better to use and better results. I have a Clarke 135TE Turbo MIG Welder. Its ok but would be better with a variable control rather than just 2 high low buttons. I had to get one quick as my other died but am saving for a better one, probably a TIG. But i would recommend Clarke.

I got one of these, mig welder but can also stick, tig and spool gun with the correct attachments and the flick of a switch, should keep me happy for a few years :D
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIG-Welde...&ul_noapp=true

makeitfit 17-04-2018 23:30

ref Sealey, my son has a 180 Super or something. Even I can use it , poorly :lol
It's been brilliant and has a real life long duty cycle. No idea what the manual says but I've seen the boy weld all day solid and no issues. It does the skinny tea bag steel a la T2 as well as pretty damn thick stuff . Spot welds really well also.
As said above please try and spend a few quid more and get one that does the job proper like innit :thumbs

Lazy-Ferret 17-04-2018 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrano Steve (Post 351935)
From what I have read on mig welding forum Clarke are good diy level welders with reasonable duty cycle & able to be turned down to low voltage settings for thinner metal. I was told to steer clear of Sealey as they have ali wound transformers but that said I know someone with a sealey 180 & it is a nice machine.

I got a Sealey SUPERMIG130 last year for welding up Suz's car for the MOT, and I have to say it has been great... so far.

I know they are cheap and cheerful, but as a first welder, and as a starting point, you get the advantage of having a new welder, so at least you can rule out the equipment when your welds aren't working.

Not a lot is worse than trying to learn to weld in the hostile automotive environment, with all the variables that the dodgy metal brings, and then not knowing if it is your welding, set up, or the Welder that is failing.

The initial outlay builds up, as it's not just a case of buying the welder, but you need the gas, regulator, decent mask, various tools etc, but I could afford to buy nearly all that stuff and the welder, for the price of the cheapest "reasonable" welder, and at least all the extras I have bought will then fit onto a more expensive welder in the future if/when the Sealey fails.

Not only that, but it makes a more convincing argument for SWMBO to get a new welder, as I already have all the bits!!!:lol

Banshee 18-04-2018 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret (Post 351955)
I got a Sealey SUPERMIG130 last year for welding up Suz's car for the MOT, and I have to say it has been great... so far.

I know they are cheap and cheerful, but as a first welder, and as a starting point, you get the advantage of having a new welder, so at least you can rule out the equipment when your welds aren't working.

Not a lot is worse than trying to learn to weld in the hostile automotive environment, with all the variables that the dodgy metal brings, and then not knowing if it is your welding, set up, or the Welder that is failing.

The initial outlay builds up, as it's not just a case of buying the welder, but you need the gas, regulator, decent mask, various tools etc, but I could afford to buy nearly all that stuff and the welder, for the price of the cheapest "reasonable" welder, and at least all the extras I have bought will then fit onto a more expensive welder in the future if/when the Sealey fails.

Not only that, but it makes a more convincing argument for SWMBO to get a new welder, as I already have all the bits!!!:lol

I love the way your mind works mate :lol You really do put things into perspective sometimes :thumb2

Banshee 18-04-2018 17:11

Thanks for all the other replies too guys :thumb2

I've been watching the bay recently and I'm biding my time for a bargain banshee style!!!

macabethiel 19-04-2018 10:11

Clarke Products

I too am a fan of Clarke products they seem to be good value without being stupid prices & you can get spares for them via the likes of Machine Mart.