Thread: Terrano tuning
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 21:19   #35
Lazy-Ferret
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
At what cost though? As most of you know I'm not one scared to try a mod or 5 but by installing said electronics, what other detrimental effects will this have in the long run, or even short term on components including IP, MAF etc.

I'm not knocking the method or saying it can't be done, I just believe in applying a bit of thought and logic to things before jumping into the unknown.

Yes you'll probably see 30BHP increase in performance, but would others have neccasarily thought about the possible legalities of it in terms of insurance for instance?

Given the OP's attitude towards the deconstruction of the "tuning boxes" he was trying to sell, I'd fear fitting said device to my vehicle without fully understanding what it does, and how it works at a component level.

Were said boxes manufactured by someone that knew about electronics at all? Are the devices CE stamped to comply with automotive electronic standards? Highly doubtful to all of the above I guess.

I'm just fussier than your next guy and maybe such interrogation raised the question as to whether I was just trying to rip the box off and start making my own for profit?

Who knows, who cares, end of the day I just want to look out for my fellow forum members and friends.
Not to make light of your concerns, but a Pot (potentiometer) is not really electronics, it's just a variable resistor, which is a passive device. The only issue I can see, is personally, I would probably use a 470ohm resistor in series with a 470ohm Pot, and then put those two components across the two wire, so that even when you wind the pot right down to 0ohm, you can not put a dead short across the wires. This would just be a safety thing for me, as I do not know what the detrimental effects of actually shorting those pins out would be on the ECU.

As for the CE marks and legalities, while again it is a valid concern, this mod is not worse than most other modifications made to these cars. I very much doubt there is a CE mark on, Ray's MAF amp, none of the home made snorkels, roof racks, roof tents, roll out blinds, storage drawers, body lifts, uprated suspension components, winch bumpers, and even most winches.

I think as a Forum Mod, you would be better just adding a Caveat, "Please do not make this modification if you do not know what you are doing, or are not willing to potentially deal with the damage that could be caused to your cars electronic components by making this unsanctioned modification. Please also be aware that modifications such as this could invalidate your warrantee, and insurance. If in doubt, please contact a qualified auto electrician, and your insurance company before trying this modification!"

Otherwise, have fun, and if you are brave enough, let us know how you get on.. Ohhh and to paraphrase Zippy, don't forget the pictures!!!
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote