Thread: Smoke alarms?
View Single Post
Old 16-07-2017, 04:05   #9
rustic
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

On the subject of alarms, consider getting a carbon monoxide alarm, there is one with a higher spec suitable for boats, caravans, motor homes etc.

There are many cases on petrol engined boats, that owners run the engine to top up their batteries but the CO gets in under the hood, and soon all occupants can be dead. 15-20 minutes can be enough

There was a case recently, a charcoal barbeque was left to smoulder near an open caravan window, the occupants slept, but never woke up.

Other sources of CO, gas powered fridge, petrol generator, barbeques, especially those not fully extinguished, fire pits, wood burners, hot air central heating, by gas or diesel etc.

Also... it may not be your fumes that get into your accommodation. On boats, some moor stern on, and their central heating flue might be on the side, and be close to a ventilator on the adjacent boat. Game over.

Note.. CO alarms can be triggered by hydrogen gas being given off from a battery whilst it is being charged, so observe battery ventilation too, or the CO alarms will end up being removed.

A CO alarm is not a substitute for a smoke alarm, or vice versa, two completely seperate hazards.

Rustic
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote