View Single Post
Old 14-07-2019, 19:02   #14
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
That looks great Ted
Thanks Jim, it started off as a small preformed glass fibre top pond. I enlarged it a few years later by adding the concrete lower pond & moat/stream. Initially the concrete was sealed with pond paint but after a couple of winters it kept loosing water.

I coated all the concrete with glass fibre tissue paper & resin - hardest part was waiting for the base to be dry enough to seal with resin. The filtration system was difficult to get it right it took a couple of seasons of trial & error to sustain nice clear water 11 months out of 12.

Filter system is a gravity fed pre-filter under double manhole cover using a plastic water header tank. Inlet is full size sewage pipe with a large gauze filter box to keep the fish out.

A sump type pump arrangement sits inside the header tank with standard 1.5" waste pipe that pumps through a T valve arrangement. About a third of the flow goes to a big filter box at the back of our garage via a Uv tube. Gravity return to lower pond. Prefilter is brush filters & standard plastic filter medium. The remaining main flow is straight back into the top pond.

Could not use a traditional pond liner as our then German Shepherd was a mad swimmer it would have punctured easily! It has been in place now for over 25 years - no leaks but had to do the edging several times before I hit on the present formula.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote