Thread: which one
View Single Post
Old 14-05-2018, 00:00   #8
Barrbeast
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 1990 4.2 SWB Safari
Wink

Gvw figures are pretty easy to find on the net but when you say gvw is it actually rated tow capacity you're interested in? If so then all manual Y61 Patrols are rated to tow 3.5 tonnes, autos are only rated to 2.5.

As to 2.8 vs 3.0, there's plenty online about both but touching on what Rick said first, I'm fairly sure both 2.8 and 3.0 Y61s are dual mass flywheel (from memory) with dmf failure just as likely on both but solid flywheel conversions are available.

I'm not sure what you're thinking of Rick but the 3.0 issues aren't fuel pump related (provided you don't try putting veg oil through it). The pre 2003 3.0 engines were rife with issues then the design was tweaked and the later engines should be fine provided they're maintained properly and any modding is properly researched. The bad rep has hung around due partly to people's memories of the bad early design but also due to folk not keeping up the maintenance and/or messing around with the engine without knowing what they are doing leading to issues resulting mainly from the engine overboosting. Basically, before doing any mods to the 3.0 engine (eg. blanking the egr or fitting a bigger exhaust etc) you have to first do something to control the boost levels. Keep her standard and properly maintained you should be fine though. All 3.0 are DI until around 2006 when they became CRD.

Personally I ran a heavily modded 2004 3.0 Trol for 4 years before selling her on last year and getting an older 4.2. I modded the engine a bit during that time (egr blank, straight through exhaust), but researched what I was doing and had no issues despite plenty offroad abuse. Far as I know she's still going strong.

I'm not so up on the 2.8s but I know they can have headgasket issues but every engine has its known faults You'll find though, any 2.8 will be an older vehicle as they stopped fitting the 2.8s in early 2000s I think (?)
Barrbeast is offline   Reply With Quote