View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 22:22   #3
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Exclamation DAB Radio

In the house I use my DAB radio via my Denon Tuner / CD player unit I bought it used, it is about 6 years old. It has AM,FM etc but I don't use them just the DAB band.

I messed about with the Antenna that came with the unit, it was essentially a piece of wire about 5 feet long that I Blu Tacked onto the highest point in our Conservatory. I found that I could only get a few stations so I tried plugging in an old Indoor TV aerial I had. This looks like a flat vertical bit of plastic about 10" long x 2.5" wide stuck into a base with a lead it cost about £10 from Asda 5 years or so ago - it was useless as a TV aerial .

I placed the aerial at a height of about 5 ft where it sits on top of some room furniture (an Ikea CD rack). This provides a really good signal on DAB with plenty of channels. Where I live there is a dip so Nottm Transmitter us hopeless but Sutton Coldfield is a very strong signal.

Last time I had a proper AM/FM Aerial was about 25 years ago it was on my roof and worked well but when VM started to supply these signals I used their signal instead. VM stopped this service when they provided Radio Stations via the TV.

The AM/FM Aerial was purchased from local Electrical Shop in Derby - RF POtts on Babington Lane - its an Aladins Cave I took it down after some high winds as the bracket was coming away from the wall where it was mounted near our bathroom flat roof.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote