View Single Post
Old 17-04-2018, 23:49   #11
Lazy-Ferret
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrano Steve View Post
From what I have read on mig welding forum Clarke are good diy level welders with reasonable duty cycle & able to be turned down to low voltage settings for thinner metal. I was told to steer clear of Sealey as they have ali wound transformers but that said I know someone with a sealey 180 & it is a nice machine.
I got a Sealey SUPERMIG130 last year for welding up Suz's car for the MOT, and I have to say it has been great... so far.

I know they are cheap and cheerful, but as a first welder, and as a starting point, you get the advantage of having a new welder, so at least you can rule out the equipment when your welds aren't working.

Not a lot is worse than trying to learn to weld in the hostile automotive environment, with all the variables that the dodgy metal brings, and then not knowing if it is your welding, set up, or the Welder that is failing.

The initial outlay builds up, as it's not just a case of buying the welder, but you need the gas, regulator, decent mask, various tools etc, but I could afford to buy nearly all that stuff and the welder, for the price of the cheapest "reasonable" welder, and at least all the extras I have bought will then fit onto a more expensive welder in the future if/when the Sealey fails.

Not only that, but it makes a more convincing argument for SWMBO to get a new welder, as I already have all the bits!!!
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote