View Single Post
Old 26-09-2019, 10:50   #8
Barrbeast
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 1990 4.2 SWB Safari

Terrano autoboxes are all (for the R20 at least) lighter duty versions of the Trol's RE4R03A transmission (Terrano has the RE4R01A box) so they're all transmission ecu working through electric solenoids with a throttle position sensor.

Not unknown (especially with older boxes) for the torque converter lockup to stop working properly. A lot of folk have spent time trying to sort it but with varying degrees of success. Easiest solution though is to fit a manual lockup switch if you can find the right cables leading from the ecu, that's what I did on my Trol and it's great as you can control when it locks up and keep it there (I can get lockup in 3rd when I've got OD off). I can point you to the Trol forum threads if that's of interest.

First thing you can do though is rule out an issue with the lockup system. Disconnect your throttle position sensor, this will make the ecu go to default mode based on speedo and revs. If it starts going into lockup you know it's not the lockup system at issue.
Barrbeast is offline   Reply With Quote