Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 20-09-2011, 22:18   #1
chatter4ever
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: maverick 2.7 TDI
Unhappy 2,7tdi 27e 4ngine with egr

Hi guys please please can anyone help I have bottom end seized my engine it did start up and was driven off the recovery truck and sounded fine there was plenty of oil and water in the engine,what I dont understand why the garage took the head off and told me the engine was useless demanded I bought a recon engine which I refused as £1200 was out of my reach so they towed the car back to my place with all the bits and bobs left in the back.So THE QUESTION IS can the engine be changed for a smaller one or can anyone out there repair my one I have been told as the ends wernt knocking it was likley to be repairable I am a pensioner so not much money but am willing to help out with the cleaning of parts being a gofer and supplying tea and bacon butties my wife will even cook your meals whilst you are here.
chatter4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 22:35   #2
makeitfit

Vehicle: Maverick TDi BLACK mmm

Changing to any other engine will cost a mint
Need more info really mate. What happened before the breakdown?
Any guesses from the recovery guys etc?
makeitfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 23:04   #3
chatter4ever

Default 2.7tdi with egr

the recovery driver said it was heat seisure thought it might be the oil pump said something like the engines have this built in fault where the bolt from the oil pump falls out and lands up in the sump.

the guy who took the head off said that the this was normal to have the head checked for warping but I had not lost any water or oil the car just stopped on the mway with a very hot engine When it cooled down i checked the oil and water both levels were correct the car has now been standing for some time but i have poured a little diesel into the pots to stop the rings from rusting and seizing
this is all the info I have hope it will be of help
Dave
Old 20-09-2011, 23:08   #4
makeitfit

Vehicle: Maverick TDi BLACK mmm

So did you have a hot temp gauge? Could have been the water pump.
Never heard of the oil pump bolt story
Is the engine block still in place then? Was the head warped?
makeitfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 23:32   #5
chatter4ever

the temp gauge was hot not had head tested as gasket was in good nick no blow marks and the rad was full of water and no water in the sump
Old 20-09-2011, 23:52   #6
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

could simply have been the thermostat, but do not think you should have any bottom end damage, more likely the pistons semi seized, and would have freed of as she cooled, with the head off it is possible to check the bores, see if you can see any picking up of the sides or any scores or evidence of piston ally on the walls, Rick
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 09:26   #7
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatter4ever View Post
the recovery driver said it was heat seisure thought it might be the oil pump said something like the engines have this built in fault where the bolt from the oil pump falls out and lands up in the sump. Dave
Hi Dave, I have never heard of the oil pump falling apart.... built in fault my Ar*e.
No one on this site has had this failure as far as I am aware.
And we have lots of members. These engines are good for 300k+ miles if looked after.

Did the oil pressure light come on while the engine was running?

Did it go out within 2-3 seconds of starting?

Best of luck,
Rustic
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 22:14   #8
chatter4ever

Unhappy 2.7 tdi with egr

Just to say thank you to all the members who took the time and trouble to reply to my posting I will now eat a can of spinnach to get the strength to lift the head back on the car!!!!!!
by the way if anyone can help me put car back together it will be greatly appreceiated and the bacon butties and cooked meals are still on offer +a little cash to cover out of pocket expenses
Old 22-09-2011, 23:54   #9
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

One little tip that I find useful for replacing the head is to cut the head off of two old head bolts, and just enter them into two holes each end of the block, place the gasket in position and lower the head guided by the two bolts, it reduces the risk of dropping the head onto the gasket in the wrong place and damaging it, it is a heavy head and hard to control once you have started the downward movement, with it on the two studs if it goes down with a thump at least it will be sitting in exactly the right place, Rick
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote