Default I have strayed away

I have strayed away from nissan and got myself a land cruiser
3.0 Diesel 8 seats and it shifts. bring on the snow

R1cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 20:31   #2
don simon
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano ii

Oooh! A Colorado, they have loads of bootspace and the seats fold flat, making a huge bed.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 21:08   #3
russell.huffer

Vehicle: Patrol 3.0 SVE

Same as me, Patrol to Land Cruiser, not worried about seeing snow now, unlike when I had the Patrol.

Kind regards

Russell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181125_122354.jpg (67.3 KB, 82 views)
russell.huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 21:27   #4
Barrbeast

Vehicle: 1990 4.2 SWB Safari

What worried you about the Trol in the snow bud?

Love taking mine in the snow!
Barrbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 23:43   #5
Thomas-the-Terrano2

Vehicle: Terrano2 R20 lwb 2.7TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrbeast View Post

+1. Mine was a dream in the 2010 winter. Only issue was switching in and out
the rear locker compared to always on LSD in Terranos.

'60' 2010 Ford C Max Zetec 1.6i, black

'56' 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0TD, silver

2021 Bailey Pegasus Grade SE Turin caravan

Smile, its more likely to confuse.

One Life, Don't Just Live It, Drive a Nissan, or ...... a Jeep.

Owner of Nissan 4x4s 2005 to 2019, and maybe in the future too!
Thomas-the-Terrano2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 00:25   #6
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Agreed but LSD on a T2 is what it is "limited" on the troll it is solid and with a Lokka on the front WOW, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 03:42   #7
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs up Terrano r3mR to Grand Cherokee WK!

Jeep 2 by Ted Bagshaw, on Flickr

This is our very slightly newer Jeep Grand Cherokee, secretly wish it was a Trol though but they are always outside our budget as I can only find the Starship Mileage ones up for sale that are under 6k. Maybe the next time we might step up to one provided the Government does not punish us older diesel owners with high VED.

P.S. The older WK is currently on it's way to France for the Christmas Booze Cruise via the Chanel Tunnel with her indoors at the wheel with her mate !
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 10:24   #8
Barrbeast

Vehicle: 1990 4.2 SWB Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
Agreed but LSD on a T2 is what it is "limited" on the troll it is solid and with a Lokka on the front WOW, Rick
You need to try the LSD on my 4.2 Rick, Trol LSDs are very tight and a lot of the Aussies regard them plus a front Lokka as a perfect combination.

I can scrub rear tyres if I power into a tight bend!
Barrbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 12:04   #9
russell.huffer

Vehicle: Patrol 3.0 SVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrbeast View Post

We do not get much snow in Hertfordshire but last year we had two days where the roads where quite bad, first day the roads had a couple of inch of compacted snow/ice the Patrol coped really well with this although I noticed it fighting on tight corners due to no centre dif, the next day was patches on snow on the road so as no centre dif I could not use 4 wheel drive. Basically rear wheel drive with an open dif, turning out of junctions the height of the vehicle means it leans easily taking the weight off the inner wheel and the 80% of torque Availible at 2000rpm means it spins very easy and pushes the back end out, it does this to easy in the wet let alone patchy snow. Conclusion my Patrol was one of the worst cars to be in when It snowed and I decided to never buy another vehicle that does not have a centre dif. My Land Cruiser has stability control that will brake the wheels if they spin and failing all else has centre and rear dif locks so all-round a much more sensible snow vehicle in my opinion.
Loved the Patrol but Land Cruiser does out perform it.

Kind regards

Russell.
russell.huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 13:12   #10
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs down Snow in a new ML

I drove an ML 350 (now badged the GLE) down a snow covered icy hill just outside Ashbourne despite having the off road pack, their version of hill decent it slid from top to bottom starting at 2-3 mph getting up to 15 mph as it went straight over the give way junction at the bottom of the hill. Luckily no traffic so I could do a fster than normal right turn!

On the return trip I disengaged traction control, used the manual over-ride and did it locked in second gear - all good with full control.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 06:15   #11
Mr K

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol Y61 2.8

You will love the land cruiser!

One of the best cars I've ever owned. Fantastic engine, really very very good, still miss mine, nothing ever went wrong with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170602_155020.jpg (76.1 KB, 51 views)
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 06:48   #12
Mr K

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol Y61 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell.huffer View Post
We do not get much snow in Hertfordshire but last year we had two days where the roads where quite bad, first day the roads had a couple of inch of compacted snow/ice the Patrol coped really well with this although I noticed it fighting on tight corners due to no centre dif, the next day was patches on snow on the road so as no centre dif I could not use 4 wheel drive. Basically rear wheel drive with an open dif, turning out of junctions the height of the vehicle means it leans easily taking the weight off the inner wheel and the 80% of torque Availible at 2000rpm means it spins very easy and pushes the back end out, it does this to easy in the wet let alone patchy snow. Conclusion my Patrol was one of the worst cars to be in when It snowed and I decided to never buy another vehicle that does not have a centre dif. My Land Cruiser has stability control that will brake the wheels if they spin and failing all else has centre and rear dif locks so all-round a much more sensible snow vehicle in my opinion.
Loved the Patrol but Land Cruiser does out perform it.

Kind regards

Russell.
I can totally relate to every word of that. The 4wd system can be a total faff having to change in and out of 4wd as you are driving along trying to read the road. My wife hates that aspect of the nissans. When she has the kids in the car she doesn't want to worry about all that, she just wants to drive knowing she has the stability of 4wd underneath her.
I remember watching an episode with Andrew st Pierre white and he hit the nail in the head though.
The 4wd system is a safety device, there to keep you and your family safe. If you feel unsafe on tricky conditions, stick it in 4 without thinking. These drivelines are much stronger than people think, and in those conditions you are driving quite slow anyway and with it being wet with slippy patches it won't bind up and cause issues. Once home you can reverse to try and unwind anything just in case.
If you do that in the bone dry and turn sharp corners then yeah, that will cause damage, but in those conditions like you talked about, I wouldn't risk anything.

P.S When I got my first 4wd, my Terrano, I briefly heard about all this can't use 4wd but was unsure how to properly drive them. I think it was 2010 I got it. Very bad conditions, I drove it away from the garage in 2wd, got 5 mins down the road and the weather was awful. Coming up to a roundabout I started braking really early but when I downshifted from 4th to 3rd as soon as I took my foot of the clutch it just locked up the back wheels on black ice and went spinning down the road. I was very lucky to get away with it.
4wd was engaged all the way home and that was driving on some dry bits. Never caused any issues at all.

But yeah, it's a faff
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote