Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 20-08-2019, 09:47   #1
winnie2457
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Nissan terrano 2
Default Hello potential terrano owner

Hello guys I’m new today to the forum my car is up for sale I used to own a shogun sport and loved it but it was a pig to drive.

I am looking at the terrano 2 now but I need some advice and a buyers guide as to what to look for. Is the 2.7 engine better to go for than the 3.0 engine? With regard to issues and reliability? What’s the best things to check for when buying one?

My budget is around the 1500-2500 mark cheaper the better really.

Any tips would be great I’ve had a look on here and can’t seem to find a buyers guide to one?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing back from you guys.
winnie2457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 10:29   #2
makeitfit

Vehicle: Maverick TDi BLACK mmm

2.7 for reliability . 3.0 for more refinment
I'd still go 2.7 personally but dont go expecting MPGs to write home about
The big thing to look for is rust. Obviously check the 4x4 system is actually working.
Rust is the killer, look in rear wheel arches where the seat belt anchor points are.
Body mounts, esp the front ones up behind the bumper.
Rust, keep a look out for that
Sills will rot out at the back usually. Harder to spot if the truck has gay steps on.
Take it for a drive and thrash it, all should be fine. Any power shortages indicate fuel issues usually. Easily sorted but dont pay top money.
Good luck
They're great trucks once you've got the rust at bay.
What's your intended use ?
makeitfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 10:49   #3
winnie2457

My intended use is a daily driver however my average weekly mileage is like 20 miles lol. Then at weekends it will be used for off road shooting yo at farms etc. So is the 3.0 known for issues etc? There is a big mix out there if trucks in both 2.7 and 3.0 you say the 2.7 is better for reliability? How much more over the 3.0 I’m just curious that’s all or is the 2.7 a no brainier and only look for them? So rust is the killer then same as my shogun sport I used to have that was rotten front to back lol.
Old 20-08-2019, 12:14   #4
RJL Services

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano 2.7 2003

i prefer the 2.7 old school push rod cog driven lump had a 3 litre did not like it 2.7 was used in the london black cabs for a lot of years and are bullet proof later model nissans seem to rust a lot worse to and have a weaker rear axle too
RJL Services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 13:00   #5
winnie2457

Thanks for all the advice when you say later model ones rust and have a weekend axle what years does this effect?
Old 20-08-2019, 14:15   #6
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie2457 View Post
Thanks for all the advice when you say later model ones rust and have a weekend axle what years does this effect?
Me I think the Terranos are getting a bit old now, I have jumped ship and have Jeep Grand Cherokee's. The 2.7 5 cylinder WJ is now quite cheap to buy - be fussy there are a lot out there in good condition with sensible mileage. They are all autos though, strong drive train bodywork seems to keep well.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 14:39   #7
winnie2457

I will have a look at them. Any thoughts on the Mitsubishi shogun 3.2DID LWB?
Old 20-08-2019, 16:17   #8
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie2457 View Post
I will have a look at them. Any thoughts on the Mitsubishi shogun 3.2DID LWB?

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/m.../owner-reviews

When I looked at the Shoguns the ones I could afford were Starship Mileage, as far as I remember some of them have cambelts. I am a camshaft chain only owner!

Others here might have run them though we have a wide range of members here, I had a Terrano r3mR 2.7 Auto in the past.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 18:09   #9
jims-terrano

I’ve owned 4 Terranos and do agree pre 2000 do seem a better build quality for sure. That said and has been said the big thing is rust and even then most things can be fixed. Paying for rust repairs can get silly money as I’m guessing you’ll know already and I think mainly because garages prefer easy money jobs. If you can weld yourself then no worries there really.
Very early Terranos and Mavericks were 2.7td but around 96 they gave both the intercooler and fly by wire which can cause a few but not many issues. Around 2000 they put the zd30 engine in which had a lot of negative publicity due to same engine going in earlier patrols and had problems but by the time it went in Terranos those issues had been sorted. I have heard of injector pumps going on the 3.0 litre but my guess is people stuck veggie oil in and that’s a big no no with that engine. Some of the 2.7 you can stick veggie oil in but depends on brand of injection system.
I love my 2.7 auto but can be a little slower off the mark and uses a little more fuel. I also love my 3.0 litre manual, this is definitely a more refined engine. Have had 38mpg on that truck on a run driving like a member of the clergy. Only issue I had which is common on those is one of the oil pressure switches.
I love both and one really ought to go but I can’t make my mind up which.

Personally I’d be more concerned with rust and checking it’s been serviced. As said see how it drives, 2.7 can kick out some smoke too when driven hard.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 18:10   #10
RJL Services

i have found anything 2000 onwards seem to be built to a cheaper standard than the older ones
Old 20-08-2019, 19:18   #11
winnie2457

Thanks for the replies I have found a nice 2004 3.0 diesel terrano 2 which looks mint and losing mileage so I am going to view that. It’s had the oil pressure sensors changed and has 8 months mot. Looks clean inside and out but will have a good look for rust. Hopefully it won’t be too bad and you guys on here seem helpful if I have any issues with it. Anything else to look out for on the 3.0 engine common issues or problems?
Old 20-08-2019, 19:36   #12
RJL Services

check for rust but also the rear axle diff area for any signs of a leak as they can rust around the diff also rear brakes back plate for any leaks
Old 20-08-2019, 19:57   #13
jims-terrano

Fuel pipes often rot through at that age, diesel leaks around rear axle area on drivers side. I’ve replaced whole pipes front to back on mine with fuel grade rubber pipe.
Lift 2nd row of rear seats and then lift rear carpets so you can check for any rust signs on boot floor area. Not all sellers will be happy doing this so that’s your call.
Try and check air filter to see if it looks like it’s been serviced, only some wire clips to open housing.
Put steering on full lock and try to go over a bump at low speedI tried a kerb when I test drove the 3 litre and do this on both locks. If you get a loud grating noise that makes you think something is badly wrong. Dead easy 4 spots of grease, it has 4 steering stops that need a blob of grease once or twice a year.
LCD display in speedo cluster often starts to lose characters. Someone did a good write up with photos how to fix on here.
Good Luck
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 21:57   #14
winnie2457

Thanks for all the help guys I will keep you updated
Old 21-08-2019, 15:59   #15
Fez_uk

Vehicle: Maverick 2.7 - Patrol 4.2

Check around the rear spring mounts, My dads 2005 SWB needed welding there this year. My 1997 mav only needed it doing 2 years ago.

The newer ones seem to be less rotten in some places and more so in others. Compared to 96-2000 & 2000-2006.
Fez_uk is offline   Reply With Quote