Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 03-03-2014, 15:29   #1
Johnny boy
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Default 2.8d or 3.0d ref reliability

Hi all, returning to a 4x4 after many years,used to have a Isuzu 2.8 bighorn which I miss the whole 4x4 experience and everyday motoring with one. Ok I've read as many reviews as I can and very conflicting. So I thought I'd ask you guys or girls who own one of the above. So far I gather the 2.8 suffered engine wise and also the 3.0 engine woes but different reasons. Also pre 2006 was better than post 2006,,,,, can someone tell me the pros and cons on both please. I wish to use for family, shooting and fishing. Not towing trailers or burger vans etc. it's the reliability I'm after, not towing strength. Thanks people
Johnny boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:12   #2
Barrbeast
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 1990 4.2 SWB Safari

Are you meaning the Y61 Patrols bud as the Terranos are 2.7 or 3.0. The Trols were 2.8 up to 2000 (I think) then they put the 3.0 ones in. Early 3.0 had lots of problems with melting cylinders but problems were pretty much sorted by the time the 3.0 started going in the Terranos (~2003).

Can't remember if you can search the forum without being signed up but if you can the Terrano 2.7 vs 3.0 debate has been done a few times recently!

Generally speaking, whether Trol or Terrano the 3.0 will give you more power and better mpg.

If you can search my posts you'll see I've talked about the 3.0 Trol issues before but for the detail to allow you to make your judgement you can't go too wrong with the Aussie forums nissanpatrol.au and patrol4x4.com. One thing to bear in mind though is that the Aussie patrols are working in a much hotter climate and while euro Trols like mine have an air cooler on the EGR system the Aussie Trols didn't get one until the 3.0 changed to CRD (post 2006). Both those factors quite likely contributed to a higher proportion of Aussie 3.0 Trols having issues (hotter engine etc and hotter exhaust gas being recirculated.

As I've said the 3.0 Trols turned CRD after 2006, before that they were DI.

Hope thats been some help
Barrbeast is offline   Reply With Quote