Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 31-07-2014, 16:56   #1
DAS68
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Default Potential Newbie

Hi all- I am Dave, I don't own a Nissan or ford Maverick as yet but I am looking for one. I am a carvanner with kids and a dog so I am looking for a 4x4 that is a cable tow car and has 7 seats. what are you views on the LWB cars, are they good? are the two rear seats usable by adults or just small kids, are the two vartiants just the same car but with different badges, what do I need to look out for when looking for a LWB diesel? thanks in advance and if anyone has one to sell around £1,000 let me know.
DAS68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 19:06   #2
firebobby

Vehicle: Terrano 3.0 SVE 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS68 View Post
Hi all- I am Dave, I don't own a Nissan or ford Maverick as yet but I am looking for one. I am a carvanner with kids and a dog so I am looking for a 4x4 that is a cable tow car and has 7 seats. what are you views on the LWB cars, are they good? are the two rear seats usable by adults or just small kids, are the two vartiants just the same car but with different badges, what do I need to look out for when looking for a LWB diesel? thanks in advance and if anyone has one to sell around £1,000 let me know.
Hi mate, the Terrano is a great tow vehicle, plenty used for caravan tugging.
The rear seats are best used for kids, but adults will fit, adults wouldn't want to go on a long journey sat in them though.
They are very capable both on and off road, so no problems there, the Ford is a re badged Nissan.
You will pick one up for a grand but do check it over for rust.
If you do get one, defo join this club, it will cost you £10 and is worth every penny
firebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 19:06   #3
jims-terrano

Welcome

Third row of seats are really kiddy seats but I've had adults sat in mine for short distances.

Fantastic to tow with

Better than a lot of 4x4's for fuel

Solo will should go like a train.

Yes joint project between Ford and Nissan.

Love mine to bits.

Bad points are rust, its getting to these trucks now but they do fix up. Had most of the bad bits done on my older one now and passed MOT and should do next year on the body work.

Frogot to say the diesel doesnt have a timing chain or belt, its gear driven so nice and solid.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 19:45   #4
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

7 seat... terrano

4x4 devizes... terrano

Tugger.... terrano

Runs on cookin oil...... terrano..

Think you need a terrano mate, simples
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 23:13   #5
AlexD333

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 2.7 TDI

Howdy Dave, I joined in exactly the same way. Waited, read up what people were complaining about, then went and viewed a few, and got my baby

After my last diesel needing timing chain and dual mass fly wheel doing it really put me off.. Then I stumbled across terrano!!

Gear driven single mass fly wheel, will run after the apocalypse, and veggie oil will be readily available. The boot is plenty big with the 3rd row of seats folded or removed too!

The only real thing you need to worry about is rust, really, do check, and check well!!!!

Everything else can be fixed with wd40, duct tape or a hammer
AlexD333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:11   #6
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy656 View Post
Nissan Terrano se touring 2.7tdi.
Mot till March 4th 2015
Tax December
7 seater
Automatic
£1250 or make me an offer

can do photos if needed.

Lee on for detail 07525723562
Any good?
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:29   #7
AlexD333

And zippy is a caravan man
Old 01-08-2014, 11:19   #8
DAS68

thanks guys for all the reolies, I am defo getting one as soon as my Rover 75 is sold. where are the rust problems and how do they run on veg oil, straight in the tank or some kind of refining needed?
Old 01-08-2014, 14:12   #9
arcascomp

Vehicle: 96 Mitsubishi Challenger!

wrt to veg - have a look at another thread running right now - most of the details are there, but basically, lob it in and go if it's a 2.7. If you get a 3.0 then strictly diesel only.

Rust is normally found where metal once was!

Main areas to concentrate on (although all fixable with a welder) are:

Seat belt mountings in the rear wheel arches - classic MOT fail point, easy to see and poke to test for strength.
Main rear passenger seats, lift them up and peel back the carpet - often the point where the back outside edges meet the floor is more like a ferrous oxide aero bar than steel.
Front lower cross member under the radiator, easy swap out for a chunk of box section or angle.
Inside the front wheel arches, peel back the rubber inner liner and check the front chassis mounts right behind the headlight area - can also be rebuilt - more fiddly.
Certainly on LWB ones, check the very back corner body mounts too - wear a pair of goggles, as rust flakes in the eyes are not nice!
Inner wings can go too, often find on older models a plate or too has been done here already.
Sills - front and back inner and outer tend to crumble away, no simple repair panels available, but inners are flat sheet anyway and outers can usually get plated up. If you prefer the more rugged look, a few members have just replaced the whole section with 80 x 40 3mm box section instead.

Chassis are normally fairly good on these and are mostly quite easy to inspect - one that's spent it's life launching boats will probably be knackered though.

Front wings are bolt on and are not structural so shouldn't cause major MOT issues - they all go from behind where the plastic trim fits and builds up crud over the years. The same area on the rear wings can go too as the plastic trim is there as well.

That sounds like a list of horrors, but if you can get a clean one and waxoil or whatever to protect then they'll last for ever. (cue Rustic with his original 18(?) year old truck.....)

Have I missed any bits ladies and gents?
arcascomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 14:43   #10
DAS68

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcascomp View Post
wrt to veg - have a look at another thread running right now - most of the details are there, but basically, lob it in and go if it's a 2.7. If you get a 3.0 then strictly diesel only.

Rust is normally found where metal once was!

Main areas to concentrate on (although all fixable with a welder) are:

Seat belt mountings in the rear wheel arches - classic MOT fail point, easy to see and poke to test for strength.
Main rear passenger seats, lift them up and peel back the carpet - often the point where the back outside edges meet the floor is more like a ferrous oxide aero bar than steel.
Front lower cross member under the radiator, easy swap out for a chunk of box section or angle.
Inside the front wheel arches, peel back the rubber inner liner and check the front chassis mounts right behind the headlight area - can also be rebuilt - more fiddly.
Certainly on LWB ones, check the very back corner body mounts too - wear a pair of goggles, as rust flakes in the eyes are not nice!
Inner wings can go too, often find on older models a plate or too has been done here already.
Sills - front and back inner and outer tend to crumble away, no simple repair panels available, but inners are flat sheet anyway and outers can usually get plated up. If you prefer the more rugged look, a few members have just replaced the whole section with 80 x 40 3mm box section instead.

Chassis are normally fairly good on these and are mostly quite easy to inspect - one that's spent it's life launching boats will probably be knackered though.

Front wings are bolt on and are not structural so shouldn't cause major MOT issues - they all go from behind where the plastic trim fits and builds up crud over the years. The same area on the rear wings can go too as the plastic trim is there as well.

That sounds like a list of horrors, but if you can get a clean one and waxoil or whatever to protect then they'll last for ever. (cue Rustic with his original 18(?) year old truck.....)

Have I missed any bits ladies and gents?
Thank you! do any memebers live near me, I am in Burscough West Lanacashire?
Old 01-08-2014, 15:28   #11
AlexD333

is members map not a sticky? if so can we make it? i never can find it when we need it
Old 01-08-2014, 15:35   #12
Paff

Vehicle: Terrano II 2.7 SE+ Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD333 View Post
... i never can find it when we need it
Thought I had linked to it in another post?

I think Rustic is 19 years
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 19:58   #13
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Put it this way

I'm in the Isle of Wight at the minute in my SWB Maverick camping but I've had a walk around the campsite and there's 6 LWB's all towing twin axles caravans

There's only 3 other 4x4's on the site, one D22 and Discovery 4

I've made friends with these guys already

They are true Nissan fans as they have had 2 SWB Mavericks and a SWB Terrano before buying the LWB for towing

When they get back he's going to let me try ECUTalk on his car, we're also going to lube his water pump pulley up behind where the belt is as it
is squeeling on start up before I lubed it up

They want to see the forum as well and are interested in joining up

See, who can say that I don't do my bit as a moderator

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!

Last edited by Banshee; 25-07-2017 at 11:18.
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 20:52   #14
AlexD333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post

See, who can say that I don't do my bit as a moderator

Old 01-08-2014, 21:10   #15
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van