Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 03-12-2009, 18:29   #1
(RIP) PLANK
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB
Default tyre seal / tyre weld etc.

hello everyone, its nearly christmas

anyway thats got nothing to do with my question i am just getting excited, i am desperate for socks, hankies and aftershave

my query is: has anyone any experience of tyre weld type puncture repair stuff? does it scrap the tyre? does it inflate and fix? etc.

I am not thinking for large 4x4 tyres as we all carry a spare for that, but i tow many different trailers and caravans and you just can't carrry a spare for them all can you? or you would have no rooom for anything else lol

so opinions / suggestions please
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 18:49   #2
DEE

Vehicle: nissan terrano 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANK View Post

anyway thats got nothing to do with my question i am just getting excited, i am desperate for socks, hankies and aftershave

my query is: has anyone any experience of tyre weld type puncture repair stuff? does it scrap the tyre? does it inflate and fix? etc.

I am not thinking for large 4x4 tyres as we all carry a spare for that, but i tow many different trailers and caravans and you just can't carrry a spare for them all can you? or you would have no rooom for anything else lol

Yes very good stuff i use it quite a lot in my job its called oko fill, good in mower tyres trailer, But do not do what i did, I have a 50s hot rod and with having two different tyre sizes on it i had this brain wave, To stop me getting a puncher fill the tyres with oko Big mistake could not get the wheels balanced so had to remove it, and no the oko i use does not knacker the tyre, Hope this helps
DEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 19:18   #3
extreme-4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANK View Post

id go tyre weld and a plug in compressor little one ... just to get you mobile again
extreme-4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 19:45   #4
Deleted account DD

Its brilliant stuff so long as you dont rely on it as a permanent repair. Thats why its generally a jazzy colour so when you regularly examaine your tyres you'll spot it.

I know a fair few folk (mainly bikers) who swear by it and could tell you stories all day.

I'm also aware of a vehicle fleet that uses it and they run everything from vans to high performance vehicles with it fitted and no problems, completely the opposite in fact.

To avoid balance problems use the correct amount for your tyre size and be patient because when you first put it in it needs to find its own level as it spreads and will feel out of balance for a few miles.

On a personal note I put it in the tyres on my last caravan as a bit of a confidence ting and one benefit I found was that the tyres held their pressure far better. I dont mean anything radical just in the 6 months it was in I never had to pump them up

You can now get the goo that washes out with plain water (not all types used to) so it'll clean out and the tyre can be repaired as if it wasnt there.

You cannot use it with powder balancing if you have that fitted, for obvious reasons, you'd just end up with a useless sludge sloshing around in the tyre

Hope that helps.

I'm not any kind of expert but on a n other forum a very anal tyre fitter had a downer on the stuff and the more I researched the better it looked and his anti argument fell at every hurdle. Thats other than DONT treat it as permanent repair, its a get you home save the tyre deflating at an inconvenient point measure.

Deleted account DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 19:47   #5
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme-4x4 View Post
id go tyre weld and a plug in compressor little one ... just to get you mobile again
Now then Problem with that stuff as I found out years ago on an expensive tyre (remember when 185/60x14's were high tech high performance ) was that you often (or is it usually?) cant repair the tyre afterwards.
Deleted account DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 20:49   #6
(RIP) PLANK

i wasn't thinking of stuff you pour in and leave in, as that wouldn't solve the problem, to do that it would have to be my own trailer / caravan and then i would have a spare wheel!

I was thinking of somehting i could carry and use is neccesary, it seems tyre weld may be the answer.

something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2X-TYRE-WELD-T...item414af661a5

so does in ruin the tyre then? or can it be fixed again properly?

I don't fancy forking out for scrapped tyres

funy you should talk of tyre sizes that used to be exspensive, some of them are again for example 175r 13 8 ply tyres and 6 ply tyres fit many trailers but also used to be standard fit on many small vans, and of course mini 10 inch tyres, they are like hens teeth now! unless you are prepared to pay top wack and i am too mean LOL
Old 03-12-2009, 21:33   #7
lacroupade

Theres a lot of talk about this over on the Zed forum, as they came equipped with RFTs when new, and while they are great in theory, the Bridgestones they put on are hard as feck and don't do a lot for the already hard ride.

A lot of people therefore put non-RFTs on, even on the //M, and since theres no room for a spare in these love machines, a can of Tyre-Weld in the boot is de rigeur.

Experience has been mixed, ranging from people with no problems, to folk who've had tyres scrapped because the fitters say they can't clean them (sometimes credible, sometimes not), through to a couple of blokes who had alloy rims permanently damaged by whatever crud it is gets squirted in.

And on that forum its relevant; I've just bought a set of 18"' 8.5J five-spoke BMW alloys that need to take 255x35xR18 91Y tyres - in RFT form they would be close to £200 a corner for the right quality tyres....non-RFTs (and they highly recommend Falken 452s surprisingly) come in around half that, so even if a tyre does get trashed, you're still in pocket.

Problem with the RFTs is that, while you can run 50-100 miles completely deflated in safety, the likely damage to the sidewall from doing so often means they are skipped anyway. So while they certainly 'get you home' its often at a price!

Also heard plenty of other stories from people who say they've tyre-welded a punctured wheel and subsequently run it into the ground with no problems.....

So its where I'm going with the old Zed.

PS - interested to hear what the water-soluble stuff Dave refers to is??? Sounds like a good compromise....
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 23:05   #8
(RIP) PLANK

thanks for the input so far!
Old 03-12-2009, 23:10   #9
davemud

Vehicle: Patrol 3.0 2007 Auto

Hi ya Plank

here is the stuff i have been supplying for a number of years. http://www.ultraseal.biz/home1.htm

Never had any complaints as yet? but have had many thanks?

Best time to install the stuff is on a new tyre, as your get the best value for money.
trouble is you will never no if you get a puncture as the tyre reseals itself up to 6mm hole
but it wont protect the side wall
yes you can balance the tyre afterwards just have to follow the instructions
have done a number Nissan 4x4 owners cars and caravans as well as ambulances and funeral cars in the past
I have it in 25lt drums and pump in the correct amount according to tyre size
davemud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 23:16   #10
(RIP) PLANK

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemud View Post
Hi ya Plank

here is the stuff i have been supplying for a number of years. http://www.ultraseal.biz/home1.htm

Never had any complaints as yet? but have had many thanks?

Best time to install the stuff is on a new tyre, as your get the best value for money.
trouble is you will never no if you get a puncture as the tyre reseals itself up to 6mm hole
but it wont protect the side wall
yes you can balance the tyre afterwards just have to follow the instructions
have done a number Nissan 4x4 owners cars and caravans as well as ambulances and funeral cars in the past
I have it in 25lt drums and pump in the correct amount according to tyre size
cheers but it wouldn't work for me as i move lots of trailer that are for sale etc. so i dont have access to them to pre install this stuff and it would cost a fortune, i just need a simple quick fix at he side of the road, having said that i might try this for my horse box and stock trailer, as it would save stressing the animals with a long wait while i swapped the wheels.
Old 04-12-2009, 00:55   #11
lacroupade

I understand Plank that with Tyreweld, you simply squirt it into the valve when you have a puncture and then drive it for a few miles, which apparently inflates the tyre further, then top it p with air as soon as you can, but allegedly it almost does the job for you....the portable air pump (£25-£35) is just a backup.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:02   #12
extreme-4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroupade View Post
I understand Plank that with Tyreweld, you simply squirt it into the valve when you have a puncture and then drive it for a few miles, which apparently inflates the tyre further, then top it p with air as soon as you can, but allegedly it almost does the job for you....the portable air pump (£25-£35) is just a backup.

and who's idea was that ?

grandad
extreme-4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:45   #13
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme-4x4 View Post
and who's idea was that ?

grandad
what the pump? Noah's probably - how else you gonna inflate a flat tyre?

In fact there are cars that come as standard with RFTs, a tin of tyre-weld type stuff AND a pump as OEM equipment.
Old 04-12-2009, 17:52   #14
(RIP) PLANK

calm down ladies

I think you will find it was my idea, well i started the thread so i'm claiming it anyway

I have a couple of the little compressor things hanging around as they are good for trailer tyres, I even made an extension lead so it wil reach back from the car, so it looks like getting the comma sealer i posted a link too above, hopefully i wont ever need it, but it makes you paranoid when you dont have a spare doesn't it?

did you know that a standard AA or RAC policy wont come out to a flat tyre on a trailer or caravan! you need extra cover for that!
Old 04-12-2009, 20:30   #15
CaptLimey

Vehicle: '03 LWB MK.4 3Ltr T2

Hi Plank

Re caravans - you may know that Hobby caravans no longer supply spare wheels with their new units, they include a 12 volt compressor and a bottle of the tyre sealant as described.

I've gone down the 'belt and braces' road and have both spare and compressor/sealant for my 'van. Don't fancy crouching too long beside a flat tyre on a European autoroute with Gerry whizzing past at 160 kph+ on way to throw his towel on a beach lounger in Marbella!

Rgds CL
CaptLimey is offline   Reply With Quote