Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 04-12-2009, 21:15   #16
(RIP) PLANK
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLimey View Post
Hi Plank

Re caravans - you may know that Hobby caravans no longer supply spare wheels with their new units, they include a 12 volt compressor and a bottle of the tyre sealant as described.

I've gone down the 'belt and braces' road and have both spare and compressor/sealant for my 'van. Don't fancy crouching too long beside a flat tyre on a European autoroute with Gerry whizzing past at 160 kph+ on way to throw his towel on a beach lounger in Marbella!

Rgds CL
a good point i'm going to go for the sealer, as even if i do use it on a trailer if it is only once in a blue moon what's the harm? and i have access to a tyre fitting machine and balancing etc so can swap tyres and do punctures myself so i will find out if it scraps the tyre or not.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I may try some of the stuff dave mud recomends for my own trailers though.
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 11:05   #17
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANK View Post

I may try some of the stuff dave mud recomends for my own trailers though.
which does the same job as this stuff that I was banging on about http://www.ride-on-uk.com/?gclid=CLX...FVBd4wodlxlqqg

However the reason I've reposted on this is that this seller http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/ride-on-tps__W0QQ_armrsZ1 on ebay keeps doing two for one offers, Keep an eye on him. Essentially I ended up buying 8 x 16 oz bottles from him for £24. Thars covered my Jeep (with its stupidly big tyres) and a twin axle caravan with a bit left for the push bikes.

I've used ride on before and it works. No balancing problems, allows proper puncture repairs etc etc.....

Go for it
Deleted account DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 11:11   #18
Timbo_1975

Vehicle: Inbetween Terrano's !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANK View Post
hello everyone, its nearly christmas

anyway thats got nothing to do with my question i am just getting excited, i am desperate for socks, hankies and aftershave

my query is: has anyone any experience of tyre weld type puncture repair stuff? does it scrap the tyre? does it inflate and fix? etc.

I am not thinking for large 4x4 tyres as we all carry a spare for that, but i tow many different trailers and caravans and you just can't carrry a spare for them all can you? or you would have no rooom for anything else lol

so opinions / suggestions please
I always keep a bottle here of gloooop- but only use it in tubless LGP tyres on the quad bike and trailer etc. It will fix thorns and the like but no more.

You cannot use it on tubed tyres. Likewise, once you have used it and suffer more than a thorn, then the tyre is scrap as the glue will not stick applying a patch.

Do not use it on high value tyres or ones on the road since the gloop will put the wheel out of balance.
Timbo_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 11:31   #19
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo_1975 View Post
Likewise, once you have used it and suffer more than a thorn, then the tyre is scrap as the glue will not stick applying a patch.
Sorry Timbo, absolute bollocks. Been there (last week) punctured, spotted, cleaned, patched.

Perhaps on the old crap which wasnt degradable or water soluble but not on the stuff I've linked to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo_1975 View Post
Do not use it on high value tyres or ones on the road since the gloop will put the wheel out of balance.
Again , bollocks Timbo. I have it in 235/65 x 17's they are worth around £135 per corner which to me is stupidly high value!!!.

No balance issues whatsoever, at all, not a jot

You WILL get problems if you much the stuff I've linked to with powder balance or of course if its out of balance before you put the stuff in!!!!

Timbo, What type of stuff did you use and what circumstances caused you problems ? I presume you have used it ?
Old 15-12-2009, 14:28   #20
lacroupade

Thats you out another tenner then you Jeepy thing you! LMAO.

Got to agree with Daved; the puncture repair thing is a bit of a myth, even with Tyre-Weld....a lot of tyre depots are too lazy to clean the tyre but its perfectly feasible most of the time to do so and effect a good repair. Usually they want you to buy a new tyre as they make more money.

My only worry would be first hand evidence that Tyre Weld at any rate (not the water-based stuff I suspect) can cause alloy wheel damage/corrosion if it leaks out thats impossible to remove.
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 15:29   #21
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroupade View Post
Thats you out another tenner then you Jeepy thing you! LMAO.

The jeep forum is technicaly good but not the liveliest of places, all I've got ot do now is persuade you lot youre on the wrong brand
Old 15-12-2009, 16:51   #22
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by daved View Post
The jeep forum is technicaly good but not the liveliest of places, all I've got ot do now is persuade you lot youre on the wrong brand
admit it, you broke down didn't you.....
Old 15-12-2009, 17:03   #23
Deleted account DD

Quote:
admit it, you broke down didn't you.....

Not just yet I'm still delighted with the machine. I reckon one (or more) of the glow plugs is screwed but other than that running well. Just done a 100mile tow with it and it was a pleasure.

Its got a while with me yet
Old 15-12-2009, 18:25   #24
Timbo_1975

Vehicle: Inbetween Terrano's !

Quote:
Sorry Timbo, absolute bollocks. Been there (last week) punctured, spotted, cleaned, patched.

Perhaps on the old crap which wasnt degradable or water soluble but not on the stuff I've linked to.

Again , bollocks Timbo. I have it in 235/65 x 17's they are worth around £135 per corner which to me is stupidly high value!!!.

No balance issues whatsoever, at all, not a jot

You WILL get problems if you much the stuff I've linked to with powder balance or of course if its out of balance before you put the stuff in!!!!

Timbo, What type of stuff did you use and what circumstances caused you problems ? I presume you have used it ?
I've only ever used the OKO Linseal stuff, which seems to have bits of rubber and something else in greenish suspension of water and linseed oil.

I've tried acouple of times to vulcanise a patch onto a tyre that's had this gloop in it, and failed. Presumably this is the linseed oil soaking into the rubber.

When I say high value, something over ~£50 i.e. car tyres and the like.

Just my 2p.
Timbo_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 18:35   #25
Deleted account DD

Stop using the old style crap and you'll be impressed, its very useful stuff and does what it says on the tin

Wheel Balance: Fastest ive ever been in a car with that stuff in was a calibrated ahhheeemm 140 ish and there were no more rattles and squeaks than normal, certainly no excessive wheel vibration

Punctures: Mine fixed fine last week.

Lot of internet myths about this stuff
Old 15-12-2009, 18:54   #26
lacroupade

Quote:
Stop using the old style crap and you'll be impressed, its very useful stuff and does what it says on the tin

Wheel Balance: Fastest ive ever been in a car with that stuff in was a calibrated ahhheeemm 140 ish and there were no more rattles and squeaks than normal, certainly no excessive wheel vibration

Punctures: Mine fixed fine last week.

Lot of internet myths about this stuff
True - widely and happily used on the Z4 forum when runflats are ditched in favour of normal tyres.
Old 15-12-2009, 19:00   #27
Deleted account DD

duplicate post ..... sorry
Old 15-12-2009, 19:02   #28
Deleted account DD

Quote:
True - widely and happily used on the Z4 forum when runflats are ditched in favour of normal tyres.
I dont know what theyve been discussing do you mean they like the "gel" or "goo" ?

Theres lots of evidence of high speed driving with it in and no wobble generated by it

ps that includes bikes and the lads are unfortunate enough to be on BMWs at the moment. They just dont see the funny side any more of all the BMW jokes
Old 15-12-2009, 19:09   #29
lacroupade

Quote:
I dont know what theyve been discussing do you mean they like the "gel" or "goo" ?

Theres lots of evidence of high speed driving with it in and no wobble generated by it

ps that includes bikes and the lads are unfortunate enough to be on BMWs at the moment. They just dont see the funny side any more of all the BMW jokes
LOL they get no sympathy from me as I too am on the butt end!

Mainly Tyre Weld.....theres also a BMW kit which includes a small compressor...not sure what thats got in it.
Old 15-12-2009, 21:00   #30
(RIP) PLANK

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

well, more interesting stuff, cheers for the input particularly daved, i know how he loves a good deabte

a bit off topic but, last week i fitted new tyres to our livestock trailer, it took me a while to find some at the right price 8 ply 13 inch and they used to be so common, anyway t is an old Ifor williams, and the holes in the centre of the wheels are so big we couldnt mount them to balance them anyway!

So i cant see the gloop being an issue there + when towing with a commercial vehicl. with a gross weigh in excess of 2 tonnes on national speed limit roads (and a 4x4 pick up is a commercial) we are limited to 50 mph anyway, so high speeds again not an issue.

so i am still considering giving it a go, but at the moment i am alos considering new tyres for the truck so maybe i will spend the money on them instead

as i said off topic but sort of relavant? if not just tell me to shut up
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote