Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Report Website Problems Here Only!

Report Website Problems Here Only! Please report here any problems you find with the new format site. Please feel free to post any comments you feel may improve the the site.

Old 24-02-2009, 20:22   #1
baskie
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Default Comments on the site.

I'm aware you asked for problems to be listed here and not general comments, but here goes anyway!

1. Too many forums.

There are two fundamental things to bear in mind when setting up a forum: 1. make it easy for some to ask a question in the right place. 2. make it easy for someone to seek advice in the right place.

Now I'm a seasoned forum user but I'm not a petrolhead. if I came here to ask a question how easy is it for me to find the right place to do it? The answer is not very. I had a question about a wheel sensor. Now, is this electrical? Brakes? Something else? I've no idea. I went ahead and made a guess and posted a question, but many won't, they'll just go to another site.

You have about 1000 members and nearly 60 different forums. Ideally you want no more than about 1 forum for every 200-300 members, unless all your 1000 members are very active.

Looking at a few forums quite a few have no posts and most are showing posts from the last month or two. Meaning the individual forums are not very busy, which is never a good thing for prospective members.

As a matter of urgency lose lots and lots of your forums and group them together. In the technical section there is a parent forum for each model then 4 child forums per model. Too many for most people to comprehend.

1. Forum titles

In the general section there is all manner of forum, but nothing that says "general" or "chat". I'm guessing the virtual pub is the chat, but it needs to be clearer. Again seasoned users will work it out, but what about prospective members? Ambiguous forum titles are fun and cool but also confusing to some.

3. Recent or last posts.

All forums need a recent or new posts section. The "new posts" link is not enough. Regular users like to see the actual recent posts without having to click a link. Vbulletin has this facility in the back end somewhere.

4. Where is the rest of the site gone?

5. Quick replies

Don't seem to work correctly. As I recall there is a weird setting in the back office to first make the quick reply box visible, then to have it working. Strange, but that's VB for you!

I was never a fan of the old site, but it had lots of information, I can't help feeling I'm getting way less for my tenner this year than in previous years. If the rest of the site is somewhere, where? If your having problems getting a new front end for the new software (did the old site use VB?) try VBAdvanced. It's very good, I use it on one of my sites, called www.mtbrider.com

That's it really, only had a few minutes to scoot around the new site, and I know these comments were not asked for, but as I've a lot of experience in this sort of thing, I just figured I'd give my opinion. But they're just that, opinions, and we all know what they say about them! ;-)

I hope my comments don't offend anyone, they're not meant to.
baskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 20:34   #2
baskie

Oh ya, and more thing...

No main site menu? Criminal ;-)

All sites MUST have a main navigation menu of some sort that is always the same and always visible, no matter what page your on. Quick links don't cut it.

I'm going to shut up now before I get banned.

:-)
baskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 00:00   #3
Muzz

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano II

Its ok for me..
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 00:13   #4
tezzer

Vehicle: transit camper van 1987

it suits me aswell, if icant find the answer to a problem, i'll ask and someone will help.

tezzer
tezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 00:32   #5
willow

Vehicle: terrano11 1995 TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskie View Post
Oh ya, and more thing...

No main site menu? Criminal ;-)

All sites MUST have a main navigation menu of some sort that is always the same and always visible, no matter what page your on. Quick links don't cut it.

I'm going to shut up now before I get banned.

:-)

All I can say is

I like just the way it is
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 01:09   #6
(RIP) PLANK

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

I would welcome a facility to edit posts and a built in spell check, but that is just nit picking, as for the 'culture' of the site and the way it operates regarding appropriate langage etc. that is for Bat21 to decide.

I liked Mav's view on that, and found it was not too strict and worked well, and went for a qualtiy of membership rather than a quantity, i think the new site is more geared towards atracting new members. But only time will tell the result of the change, it doeas seem that financially the onld way wasn't working as well as it needed too.

I also think to atract new members we need more up to date tech stuff on newer models as the T2 is a bit long in the tooth now, but of course this is a vicious circle if you dont have more members with newer vehicles, you wont get more tech comments and experience and visa versa.

I'm akso not keen on the idea of blocking members posts, i think it is childish and not needed!
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 01:30   #7
extreme-4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANK View Post
I would welcome a facility to edit posts and a built in spell check, but that is just nit picking, as for the 'culture' of the site and the way it operates regarding appropriate langage etc. that is for Bat21 to decide.

I liked Mav's view on that, and found it was not too strict and worked well, and went for a qualtiy of membership rather than a quantity, i think the new site is more geared towards atracting new members. But only time will tell the result of the change, it doeas seem that financially the onld way wasn't working as well as it needed too.

I also think to atract new members we need more up to date tech stuff on newer models as the T2 is a bit long in the tooth now, but of course this is a vicious circle if you dont have more members with newer vehicles, you wont get more tech comments and experience and visa versa.

I'm akso not keen on the idea of blocking members posts, i think it is childish and not needed!

what like the ignore list..... bet im on loads, trouble is they wont see that im inquiring or curious will they..

so its like asking a question knowing your not going to get an answer

now im confused
extreme-4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 06:36   #8
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

I would welcome a facility to edit posts and a built in spell check

um you can edit for about 15 mins....

there is a spell check.. top right "ABC"
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 09:05   #9
lacroupade

Appreciate what baskie is saying but i think its all a bit subjective really. Despite having been a member of the old site for a couple of years I can't immediately think of any obvious benefit of one over the other.

Maybe some of the tech stuff has been lost along the way and maybe we need some tech stuiff for newer vehicles, but thats down to members to contribute where they can.

For my measly little tenner I don't expect a lot to be honest:

1. The ability to come and ask questions and get answers when I need them, whether thats from a tech doc or from a posting...it does that.

2. The ability to talk (when I'm in the mood!) to a like-minded bunch of idiots...it does that in spades!!

3. The chance (again, when I'm in the mood) to partake in the odd meeting/outing somewhere and meet some of the aforementioned idiots (first one due this Saturday!)....and again it does that.

So personally I am more than happy with the site setup.

If I had one teeny request it would be for some kind of "mark as read" function like you get in email, so when I click on Todays Posts, I can select the ones I don't want to read and remove the bold highlight.

Other than that, for a measly tenner, whats to criticise, especially when someone else has volunteered to run it for us?! And thats not a poke at baskie at all - just my view of life.
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 20:25   #10
Red22

Smile

I'am fairly new here but I think it's pretty good as it is!
Old 25-02-2009, 20:29   #11
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red22 View Post
I'am fairly new here but I think it's pretty good as it is!
im with you red....

works for me too
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 23:11   #12
willow

Vehicle: terrano11 1995 TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
All I can say is

I like just the way it is

So it seems others do too
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 00:25   #13
bensonsnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme-4x4 View Post
what like the ignore list..... bet im on loads, trouble is they wont see that im inquiring or curious will they..

so its like asking a question knowing your not going to get an answer

now im confused
I'd like to tell you ........but I'm ignoring you
bensonsnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 16:38   #14
lacroupade

i'd ignore him but he's bringing the stove on Saturday!
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 13:07   #15
Terranosaurus

Vehicle: 2001 2.7 TDi T2 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy656 View Post
there is a spell check.. top right "ABC"
Sorry but where is this? Carn't seam tu fynd eet
Terranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote