Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 17-09-2016, 08:47   #16
rustic
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

I found out yesterday why the Ford radio does not come out with the radio removal tools...
The mechanism to allow that has been replaced with 2 brackets.

So this could make fitting al alternative more of a challenge.

First option, maybe transfer the brackets to the new radio.
On the Ford 2007, the other side bracket has nuts on the inside, so you have to open the radio case

There is another issue, the main live, all the time, feed is quite heavy cabling, but the wire from the ignition key is much lighter, so I cannot use the ignition supply to feed the main power, as it will damage the contacts.
I think the Ford radio used the ignition as a control to allow power from the main feed.
So I will fit a relay, with the coil fed by the ignition switch and feed the radio via the relay contacts. Easy enough.
Rustic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.5 KB, 21 views)
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 08:59   #17
jims-terrano

Hi Rustic, virtually the same fitting arrangement as Nissan. When I fitted the radio pictured earlier I used one of those single din cages and bent the wedge shaped lugs to hold the cage in the apperture in the dash panel and then the radio slides into the cage which allows you to use the removal tools you described.
The big disadvantage is the radio and dash panel rattle! When I get time I want to remove the brackets from the original radio and adapt them to fit the replacement radio. Only thing Im worried about is screwing something into the radio and shorting the radio internals out. To me this is by far the best way of mounting it as it removes extra stresses on the dash panel.

As for the wiring, sounds like normal wiring to me having a permanent live feed and a switched from ignition. I guess your issue is the guage of the live being thick. Are you breaking into the factory wiring to connect the new radios wiring or are you using an adapter to simply plug in and to factory radio plug and then into the new radio. I know your background and trust your ideas about a relay but I cant understand why it needs a relay.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 09:03   #18
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Wink Simple job becomes more complex

Yikes it's amazing how models differ between Nissan & Ford versions of essentially the same product.

Just shows how simple sounding jobs get more involved when you start to delve - and I thought it was just me that had these obstacles when faced with a seemingly straight forward DIY task. Then I get her indoors making some smart remark about her thinking I know what I am doing to chivvy me along.lol
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 21:12   #19
rustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
... I know your background and trust your ideas about a relay but I cant understand why it needs a relay.
Hi Jim, Having researched a bit more, and using the multimeter to measure some currents, the ignition feed is a few mA and is a control signal, that allows the full 12 volt power to the radio, so all will be wired as standard, no relay required.

For the connections, I am leaving the original connectors in place and I have a few crimps that mate with the plug/ sockets, saves cutting wires and soldering, but if the connections are poor, then I might solder wire to wire.

I have removed the side clamps, and mounted them on the new radio, using the radio fixing holes which means the old brackets had to be redrilled
Biggest job now is running the speaker cables from the dash to under the seat.

Old 21-09-2016, 09:14   #20
rustic

All fitted now, I have not cut any connectors, so if I wanted to, I could reinstall the old radio.

I have a stash of connectors, some small pins and sockets that would normally fit into plugs and sockets.
I soldered the wires to the pin/sockets and sleaved them with heat shrink.

The most difficult part was routing the cable from the radio, to the underseat location, but the wires run under the carpet, and then up behind the heater.

I used 1.5 mm2 twin speaker wire, but a bit OTT, 1mm2 would have been easier.

For the side brackets off the old Ford Radio, I refitted one each side after drilling the bracket, 5mm and used one of the original formed 5mm threaded holes.
There was a grey foam gasket around the old radio, so I transferred this to the new radio. Result.. when the trim is replaced, there is no gap around the radio.

Looks and sounds good.
Rustic
Old 21-09-2016, 12:37   #21
jims-terrano

Hmmm hmm, photos please

Good work Rustic
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote