Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 13-09-2016, 15:21   #1
rustic
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB
Default Ford Maverick Radio Model 2007 rds with seperate amp.

I took the Mav out today, fresh fuel, after a good clean, dry off the underside before putting her to bed.
I tried the radio, and that is distorting at very low sound levels, same if you put in a cassette... yes that old lol.
Left Right, front back, all the same.
I disconnected the amp under the driver's seat, reconnected it, still the same, pulled the radio fuse, still the same.

So not sure if radio, or amp, amp is easy to eliminate, easy access two plugs.
What I need is a spare amp to borrow.

I had thought about replacing the radio a few years back, but the threads on here, all say the same... it's a pig lol, as the radio is in the dash, and the speaker driver wiring is under the driver's seat.
OK not a big task for me, but another job I could without.

So if the amp is duff, a replacement one will sort it, if it's the radio... then I'll get a decent one and hack the wiring.
I might make an attempt to remove the radio anyway, but first I will review all the old posts on how to get the ford radio out.

What I could do... I could look at the wiring to and from the amp and I have a small oscilloscope hidden in the garage somewhere, if there is clipping before the amp, then radio, if the signal in, is clean, and clipping out, then the amplifier.
Simples lol.

Rustic
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 15:41   #2
Blocky10

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 3.0 SVE Auto

I was with you all the way to the last sentence
Then it was wahwahblahmumbleblah?

I'd like to change mine but it works ok apart from the display, so will leave it for now.
I'd thought maybe take it to a shop and let them at it, but it's too risky me thinks.
Blocky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 15:44   #3
RJL Services

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano 2.7 2003

on my terrano when i had a similar problem i found the speaker cones were starting to fall apart may be worth a check i bought some boss ones of ebay for £27 a pair new as they were the correct shape to fit speaker housing in the door i replaced all 4 in the end as rear were starting to do the same
RJL Services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 16:53   #4
jims-terrano

Yeah I was going to suggest the speakers too.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 17:21   #5
rustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
Yeah I was going to suggest the speakers too.
It would have to be all 4 speakers gone at once, unlikely.
For a second after rest of a few hours, just tried it now, it has some volume then distortion, this implies an electronic failure, either head or amp.
Rustic
Old 14-09-2016, 12:02   #6
rustic

I have done some research, and I think it is time to replace the original Ford 2007 rds radio. We currently link a portable cd player to the cassette slot using an adaptor, bit of a bodge but works. I would like an SD slot and bluetooth etc.

I have sussed the speaker connections, so now I will have to run 4x 2 core speaker wires from under the driver's seat to the rear of the radio, then do all the wiring from there.
That should do it. The amp would be obsolete, and the signal cable from the radio to the amp.

So question...
Is the Ford radio, or any other radio fitted to a Terrano circa 1995 a din size, and will a modern radio slot in without gaps?

Many thanks.
Rustic
Old 14-09-2016, 12:14   #7
Blocky10

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 3.0 SVE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustic View Post
I have done some research, and I think it is time to replace the original Ford 2007 rds radio. We currently link a portable cd player to the cassette slot using an adaptor, bit of a bodge but works. I would like an SD slot and bluetooth etc.

I have sussed the speaker connections, so now I will have to run 4x 2 core speaker wires from under the driver's seat to the rear of the radio, then do all the wiring from there.
That should do it. The amp would be obsolete, and the signal cable from the radio to the amp.

So question...
Is the Ford radio, or any other radio fitted to a Terrano circa 1995 a din size, and will a modern radio slot in without gaps?

Many thanks.
Rustic
Sorry rustic. Can't help you with this but I will be following your thread with interest.
Blocky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 12:22   #8
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustic View Post

So question...

Many thanks.
Rustic
I successfully fitted a Pionoor DEH-2000 I think it was into my Maverick

Was a single DIN jobbie but I did have to get a facia from Halfords to cover the gap

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 12:42   #9
rustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
I successfully fitted a Pionoor DEH-2000 I think it was into my Maverick

Was a single DIN jobbie but I did have to get a facia from Halfords to cover the gap
Ahh I had this thought at the back of my mind, many thanks.

Rustic
Old 14-09-2016, 13:10   #10
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs up Dash Plate

Now I think of it my old Terrano r3mR had a Hitachi radio/CD unit in the upper half with a plastic cubby hole slotted in below so it was a double DIN sized hole.

When I bought the vehicle the radio slowly disapeared towards the bulkhead when you put in a new CD. It was a pig to get out as someone had but double sided tape down each side to hold the radio level with the dash.

After a lot of work with an old bread knife I cut through the tape and managed to get the set out OK. I had a rummage in my box of bits that are too good to throw away and found a 1980's front mounting plate/plinth unit that made the set stick out by about 3/8" and that was sorted. Bent out the slotted bits at the side to make it harder to steal and viola it was done.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 17:10   #11
jims-terrano

Hi Rustic, fitted a standard single din in the project truck with no gaps. Only mistake that I made was fitted the cage in the hole from the old radio and bent the tabs around the wood effect fascia so the radio rattles. Was going to have a look to see if the original mounting brackets would some how fit the replacement radio but not really had the chance. Anyhoo heres a pic of what the radio looks like in the original fascia, give me a shout if you want any further photos.

Old 14-09-2016, 18:33   #12
rustic

Thanks Jim, that picture really helps.
Old 14-09-2016, 21:57   #13
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
Hi Rustic, fitted a standard single din in the project truck with no gaps. Only mistake that I made was fitted the cage in the hole from the old radio and bent the tabs around the wood effect fascia so the radio rattles. Was going to have a look to see if the original mounting brackets would some how fit the replacement radio but not really had the chance. Anyhoo heres a pic of what the radio looks like in the original fascia, give me a shout if you want any further photos.

I was missing the thin plastic surround that you have around your stereo when I purchased mine Jim, Halfords sold me one for a few quid that was a universal one for all Pioneers?

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 07:41   #14
jims-terrano

That radio has been a cracking set, Clivvy had it kicking around in his shed so just gave it to me (cheers). Its the type that the front panel removes and as you say has a surround panel that just clips over the front once slid into the cage.

The one thing that makes fitting after market radios into terranos is that nissan didnt fit the amplifier system that ford seemed to fit.
Old 15-09-2016, 09:17   #15
rustic

I have managed to get an unused un fitted, still in box Tevion (Aldi) Stereo, cd, sd, usb, remote control, nearly identical to the one I fitted to our boat with 4 speakers lol, so fitting in the mav won't be more difficult that that lol