Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 25-09-2016, 17:13   #1
emjaybee
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 3.0Di SVE '05 5 door.
Angry Rant, rant, rant !!!!!

F*@&kin' MicroSh1t !!!

My lovely new Windows10 (sadly) laptop did an upgrade yesterday.

Apparently the update is designed to take a Intel i7, 32GB ram, 2TB, GTX970 lightspeed interstellar starship and turn it into...

...that 1970's Texas Instruments desktop calculator your dad had!!!

I've just spent the last hour uninstalling the two system updates, going through ALLLLLLLL of the myriad of settings turning OFF all the f'in sh1t that the update turned on.

I have now found a way of going into the system configuration and turning the f'in updates off.

I was also asked to send a feedback to MicroW@*k$$s to explain why.

So I sent "STOP F*****G UP MY PC!!!", but without the asterisk.

I'm hoping I never have to contact them for support in case they have logged the response.

Rant over, as you were.

emjaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 17:18   #2
Terrano Steve

Vehicle: Terrano

I wouldn't worry about it I am sure they have had worse feedback
Terrano Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 17:37   #3
johnb5177

Vehicle: 02Terrano II 3.0 SVE Auto

Apparently, there is now some legal action being taken ...against... microshaft, for the auto upgrades to W10, without the owners express permission, and the ensueing chaos to their businesses.........

I stopped all auto downloads and am sticking with W8.1, I have absolutely no problems with it at all.

I detest the power this company has over PC users who use their systems...

The same anger I have for Monsanto, and their control over seeds and grain, that they say they own...so the third world farmer, who would previously keep back a portion of his harvest, for planting next year.......now cannot or has to pay them for another licence to use their product.......
johnb5177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 19:18   #4
jims-terrano

My work laptop did a auto update the other day at work lost a word doc because it just did it whilst it was locked. Got back to my laptop and there it was updating, took best part of two hours amd has screwed my network port drivers. Inconvenient when out at a customers site to say the least.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 19:28   #5
emjaybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
My work laptop did a auto update the other day at work lost a word doc because it just did it whilst it was locked. Got back to my laptop and there it was updating, took best part of two hours amd has screwed my network port drivers. Inconvenient when out at a customers site to say the least.
On phone at mo', when I'm back on laptop I'll post link for procedure for stopping updates. There is no way to do it through "settings " it has to be done by the back door, but is easy to do.

Old 25-09-2016, 19:35   #6
jims-terrano

Problem is we cant stop updates altogether as security patches are needed. We need to stop the auto install function, not looked at it but surely cant be difficult.
Old 25-09-2016, 20:35   #7
emjaybee

Quote:
Problem is we cant stop updates altogether as security patches are needed. We need to stop the auto install function, not looked at it but surely cant be difficult.
It is impossible to prevent the security patch updates, which is probably as well considering how sh!t MicroShaft are.

Through the normal settings route it is possible to "delay" updates, but not possible to stop them.

If you really want to completely "stop" system updates, which I do, you need to follow the "Method 1" in this article.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke.../#581ed1165d1f

It's really easy to do, no coding, just checking/selecting boxes.

I have done it on my Windows 10 laptop, which was Win10 from new, not a Win8 update, and all is fine. I also uninstalled the two system updates from yesterday which spread the disease known as Cortana through every fu**in' aspect of my laptop. I then had to go through all the settings, and there are pages of them, turning off all the bloody notifications it had activated.

Lets hope this is the last time I have to worry about windows.

I long for the day when there is an alternative that is viable.

I think the problem is that operating systems for PC's have gone as far as they need to go. I had WinXP on a desktop and Win7 on a laptop.

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with them, but if there is no new operating systems, then the income stream for MicroW@n<3rs dries up. So they stop supporting operating systems and patching them so people are forced to upgrade.

If you tried to do this in the high street you'd be had up in front of the Beak for extortion, but do it in the name of progress then hey, that's f'in okay!

Old 25-09-2016, 22:01   #8
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

Quote:
I'd say it's pretty much impossible to stop updates. I tried it a few years ago and lost.
I requested the manual option which was bombarded with requests with the yes/no boxes switching positions every now and again. Eventually the updates were loaded.
We voted to give power to organisations years ago, I guess we have to live with it.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 22:20   #9
emjaybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by don simon View Post
I'd say it's pretty much impossible to stop updates. I tried it a few years ago and lost.
I requested the manual option which was bombarded with requests with the yes/no boxes switching positions every now and again. Eventually the updates were loaded.
We voted to give power to organisations years ago, I guess we have to live with it.
It IS possible to stop the updates, see my last post. It's kind of an administrator function in a "back room". It's quite straightforward, and should you wish, easily reversed.

Old 25-09-2016, 23:02   #10
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Knew there was a good reason to stick with 8, but getting near in need of a new lappy, any suggestions? Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 23:16   #11
emjaybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
Knew there was a good reason to stick with 8, but getting near in need of a new lappy, any suggestions? Rick
I'm no expert, one of my clients put me on to Novatech. I bought a laptop from them with Windows 10. I don't have a problem with Win10 particularly, but I am not going to have any more updates, I want to keep it stable.

See the start of this thread for details.

Good luck.

Old 26-09-2016, 15:34   #12
Monaro Pete

Vehicle: 03 Terrano 2.7 TDi

8.1 here. I remember 95 & 98, I loved 98.

I hate that up to a few months back it was "download win 10 for free" "download win 10 for free" & on & on & on it went until I learned how to turn the crap off.
I install updates & there's no auto downloaded

Personally I hate computers, but they're a necessary evil I guess.
Monaro Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 16:46   #13
emjaybee

I was advised early on NOT to buy a Win8 laptop and upgrade, but to go for a straight Win10 laptop, because there has been so much trouble with the 8 to 10 upgrade.

In Win10, as I've previously said, there's no "user" way of stopping auto updates. Security updates are impossible to stop, every website I looked at said that, but I did find the one way of stopping the system auto updates, which is via the info on the link I posted previously.

So far so good!

Old 27-09-2016, 04:42   #14
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro Pete View Post
8.1 here. I remember 95 & 98, I loved 98.

I hate that up to a few months back it was "download win 10 for free" "download win 10 for free" & on & on & on it went until I learned how to turn the crap off.
I install updates & there's no auto downloaded

Personally I hate computers, but they're a necessary evil I guess.
Windows 3.11 all the way, it booted up in 1 minute ready to go, and when you shut down, it was off by the time you stood up.

Now you have to wait half an hour or more to download then install the upgrades, so the dilemma is... will the computer really shut down if I walk away?

A few years back I bought some video and audio copying software with a module to connect to my vinyl turn table so I could copy old albums to MP3 or WAV format, one album that I wanted to copy was Venus and Mars by Paul McCartney and Wings.
Last week I installed it on a windows 7 starter acer notepad, it screwed up everything, the sound system was wrecked, folders corrupted or missing what a mess.
I had not done a recent restore point, so was all lost? No, Windows 7 logs restore points just before you download certain updates and just before you install new software, so I chose a recent restore point, and on the screen popped little messages, "corrupted sound data" or similar and then said restored.
You could see the computer coming back to life, as if it had a major stroke.
So a search of the internet and I quickly found some copying software, "Audacity" the record deck simply plugs into the "Mic" input, and the sound levels are within range, a quick test shows that it should work fine, just need to read the instructions to seperate the tracks and to get rid of the intro, load Album name, track numbers and titles.

Rustic
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 05:19   #15
jims-terrano

Ive been meaning to do that with vinyl but never got around to it, got a little gadget to change the turntable output into line in levels so all it needed was something along the lines of audacity.

Microsoft are a necassery evil unfortunately and normally in fairness they dont cause too much of a problem. The auto install function is simply designed to make the process easy especially for people with less computer knowledge or experience. The problem comes when a feature of this function decides ok the computer is not active right now and the update needs to install so lets go for it and install with a reboot, this is the function that needs to be brought under control.

people often target and curse Microsoft and Apple simply because they are big names. They are a business and their sole aim is to make money. It is us that choose to use their products, we dont have to but it is often more convenient for various reasons. There are other operating systems such as android or lynux but they may not be quite so convenient to use for the average person on the street. By the way remember android has been developed by Google who are also a business and collect your data.