Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Members free classifieds and wanted items.

Members free classifieds and wanted items. Place your Nissan/Ford 4x4 vehicles or related items for sale and wanted here.

Old 16-11-2016, 12:35   #1
Jimblyb
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Mistral
Default Wanted - rear dampers

Please can anyone help with some advice on a 1996 Mistral?

One rear damper bottom mount has snapped clean off - explains the ferry-like handling of late. So I need a pair of dampers. Please could someone recommend somewhere to get a pair of either cheap replacements or secondhand - is the latter a good idea or not?

Another question - I have only had the truck for a year and while it's excellent off-road, I have no idea whether it has a lift-kit or runs stock ride height. Can anyone give me a steer on measurements to determine this? Are there different specs of dampers for stock and lifted chassis'?

Many thanks all,

Jim
Jimblyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 13:30   #2
jims-terrano

Milners Offroad but there have been concerns about quality of the parts but they are a one stop shop. Think they sell lift kits both body and suspension.

Pretty much any motor factors or even halfords should sell you standard shockers.
Suspension lift is basically longer rear coil springs and longer front and rear shockers I believe. The front suspension is torsion bars so just wind them up but I have no idea by how much. There should be previous threads.

Body lift is longer body mount bolts with blocks of metal which are the spacers. Again no idea how to do it but others on here have done these mods and posted.

Careful with your shocker bolts, don't snap them as they're captive bolts welded to the mounting points. Top one is a bugger to get to just a little care and patience required.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 19:33   #3
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimblyb View Post
Please can anyone help with some advice on a 1996 Mistral?

One rear damper bottom mount has snapped clean off - explains the ferry-like handling of late. So I need a pair of dampers. Please could someone recommend somewhere to get a pair of either cheap replacements or secondhand - is the latter a good idea or not?

Another question - I have only had the truck for a year and while it's excellent off-road, I have no idea whether it has a lift-kit or runs stock ride height. Can anyone give me a steer on measurements to determine this? Are there different specs of dampers for stock and lifted chassis'?

Many thanks all,

Jim
If you mean shock absorbers, then these will suit you and certainly worth a try being QH branded

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TO-CLEAR-N...kAAOSwk1JWeYyg

If you mean bump stops then try a set of these;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPATIBLE...EAAOSwvzRX1pv~

Yes Milners will be cheaper for these but I feel it's unfair that I publicy bad mouth them every time they are brought up, all I will point out is I have had very bad experiences with them for about 60% of the custom I have ever put through them and when contacted, I'm laughed off the phone or treated like an idiot, so much so that I have disbanded the forum discount offer.

Easiest way to figure out if you've had a body lift is go to a rear wheel arch and if you can slip your hand between the chassis and body then you have a lift, if they are a few mm's apart then you are standard mate

Otherwise, find a body mount and if you see one of these black cylinders sitting between the original rubber and the body side then you have a body lift

http://xpajun.com/product_info.php?products_id=211

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 22:18   #4
Jimblyb

Vehicle: Mistral

Thanks chaps. Ordered a set of the QH ones - should be here any day...

Understand re the body lift now - I thought it was a suspension lift - increasing the length of the springs and dampers to give greater travel.

Thanks again - as ever, dead useful and greatly appreciated.

Jim
Jimblyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 17:27   #5
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Exclamation Milner Off Road shockers

I have had both good and bad parts from the above firm but the rear Shock Absorbers on our old r3mR I had from Milners were priced competitively, fitted OK and were a make I knew but I can't recall what the Brand was as it was back in August 2011.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 19:55   #6
elty001

Vehicle: 2000se+ 2.7tdi terrano II

Usually milners supply the kyb shockers.
Not the best by far but not the worst either.
elty001 is offline   Reply With Quote