Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 15-07-2017, 20:34   #1
Lazy-Ferret
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring
Default Smoke alarms?

What smoke alarm do you have in your caravan, and do you find it has a habit of going off every time you use the cooker, or is it better than that?

We had a Kidde one, and it felt like you only had to breath on it, and it went off, which resulted in us forever taking it off the roof, and removing the battery every time we cooked, but then we would often forget to put it back up.

I got a Fireangel Atom Smoke Alarm, which was recommended by a caravan place, to replace it, and over the cooler winter and spring months it seemed perfect. Unfortunately, the first hot day we had, we were sitting in the house and could hear an alarm which we eventually worked out to be coming from the caravan. I took the smoke alarm down, and removed the battery, then when the temperature in the caravan had cooled down a bit, I put the battery back in the smoke alarm, and put it back. The trouble is, during the warm weather it goes off all the time, so guess what, we end up taking it off the roof, removing the battery, and then forgetting to put it back again. Ironically, when I looked at the small print in the Atoms instruction sheet, it does specifically say that it is not for use in caravans.

So, time has come to replace it, but, what with?
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 20:52   #2
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

Optical ones are better than the ionisation type, it's what we have in the boat now !
Less susceptible to false alarms in a confined space.

Can't remember the make though.
Rustic
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 21:20   #3
panelbeater

Vehicle: nissan terrano 2 2.7 tdi

my one is good even do toast a bit dark and not go off but fry bread a bit dark and off it goes only thing is cant remove the battery its a sealed one with a long life span.cant remember the make though till i look at it.to stop it you need to do a 45 degree twist and pull the thing from the mounting plate thats still on wall.
panelbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 21:35   #4
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

I have one of these in mine, not used the van much since I fitted it but no troubles.
20170715_213908.jpg
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 21:48   #5
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

The one I have is optical, it's a SL-602. The one you show TDoug, is the SO-601. I have just found the instructions, and weirdly, yours specifically says it is OK in caravans and Mobile homes, where as the one I have, says it is not, even tough they are both optical. I wonder what the difference is?

I would be interested to know which one you have Panelbeater, as Suz's does like to cook things until they are er... well done....
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 23:56   #6
rayf3262

Vehicle: Terrano 3.0 SVE 2002

Many optical smoke alarms also include a temperature sensing function too.
The simpler types only have a set point threshold which I suppose could easily be reached in a caravan on a hot day.
The more intelligent temperature sensing types look at the rate of rise of temperature rather than a fixed set point.