Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 21-02-2020, 22:55   #1
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Question How do you make a good Ethernet contact on a RJ45 wall plate?

I need to put an ethernet socket either side of a dry partition wall so I can plug in a PC on one side in our Conservatory and connect the other side to one of my BT Mini Connectors.

I have a pair of wall sockets but am having trouble making a good connection with my punch down tool.

Is there a trick I am missing as I just don't seem to be able to make a good connection ?

I have done a few in the past but today it just does not make a connection that works!

Any tips from experienced engineering types ?

I wish they had screw connectors !!
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 23:04   #2
jims-terrano

What’s your punch down tool like? I do remember cheap plastic tools coming free with phone extensions years ago.
I have a friend that was a BT engineer before he retired and he put me onto a what I call clicky type as it cuts the excess wire off at the same time.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 23:31   #3
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

As Jim says the plastic ones are crap, the metal type that cut the excess off in one operation are the bees knees, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 23:44   #4
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

There are 2 types of "clicky" ones, The Krone one works on most, but there is a different one, used mainly on patch panels, where the IDC connectors are closer together. I have on the odd occasion found wall sockets that I have needed to use the second tool on. If you use the wrong one, it seems like it works, but when you look closely, it makes a bad connection, as all it does is bend the wire over the "V", rather than passing it down into it and cutting the insulation.

The best way to use them, is to make sure the wire is perpendicular to the "V", and make sure you have sufficient extra wire protruding beyond the "V" so the tool has plenty of wire on both sides to press down on. If you are using one of the plastic tools, you will then need to go along and trim the over hanging wire, but as long as it is not touching anywhere else, this is mainly cosmetic.
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 11:44   #5
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs up Thanks Guys but the answer was my BAD !!

I can't believe I was so stupid !

As I was lying in bed last night it occured to me the new cable I was using I had cut off the 100M of CCTV cable that came with one of my PoE Cameras - decided I would check this cable against some old but good cable.

First thing was that the pairs were not twisted together but the individual cables were visibly thinner so it did not cut into the insulation as you pressed down with the cable tool - it just flattened the insulation.

This morning removed the crap cable and all was well. My tool is the steel tipped type that snips off the loose ends I've had it for a few years. I tend to buy good quality "Special Tools" and keep them all in a cupboard for when needed.

The CCTV cable is the very stuff that caused the signal loss on my Broadband - it's in the bin all 99 Metres = no point on keeping it!

Next thing I need to look at doing my own R45 Plugs not sure whats involved but having loops of spare cable does not sit well at our house.

The Gaffer keeps on mentioning Spaghetti Junction every time she cleans behind the TV or Hi-Fi.lol
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote