Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 21-03-2016, 16:11   #1
terranosaurusdoug
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI
Question Towing reverse light/12s socket

Hi all, does anyone know how many volts I should have at the reverse light pin on my 12s socket on my 2000 2.7?
I'm trying to find why reverse light on caravan is not working, tested 12s and I'm getting 12.9/13v at reverse lamp pin, I'm guessing that is right, thanks, Mark.
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 17:24   #2
jims-terrano

Should get the same voltage at the car revs lamp and the pin on the socket. I could understand if there was a drop at the rear of the caravan but not a great deal if any.
Trace and check the cables from your socket to the vehicle wiring. I've seen it on terranos where the fitter has scotch locked or twisted direct into vehicle wiring behind the bumper where it is open to the elements instead of connecting to the wiring inside the boot area.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 17:25   #3
micktheshed

Vehicle: Dec 2004, terrano 3l Auto

Anything over 12V should be OK. Even given a good battery (@12.5V+) there will be some drop along the way. I was told, many years ago, that 1/4V+ drop per connection should be expected so keep these to a min.
Also don't use solder on compression joints (such as the plug & skt have) use metal pinch rings if at all possible, or nothing at all. Solder tends to extrude over time & can result in a loose, or poor, electrical connection. On items such as these I also dip the wire ends in copper grease to stop them corroding.

A good tip is to make sure all the pins are gripping each other by spreading their slots slightly with a fine blade then spray with general purpose silicon. DON'T use WD40 as this can cause the plastic housing to deteriorate. Ideally the plug should be a 'drag' fit into the socket.

The quality of the earth connection cannot be over-rated especially the earth pin(s) themselves. I always run one earth wire to the bodywork & another (of 2.5m2) direct to the battery. These wires are also connected to each other. I also use 2 scotch-locks rather than one as they have a less than 100% success rate and can get worse over time.

Overkill? maybe, but it's worth it for better reliability as these plug/skt combinations can cause weird problems elsewhere.
micktheshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 21:56   #4
terranosaurusdoug

Hi jim, yeah I am less than impressed with some of the joints ive seen, going to trace a mystery wire tomorrow too!

Mick, thanks for the tips mate, didnt know that bout wd40 either!!
I'm going the check the caravan wiring for reverse tomorrow so l'll give the earths some attention!
Old 21-03-2016, 22:11   #5
jims-terrano

If memory serves it's yellow for reverse lights and white for the earth in the 12s connections.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 22:19   #6
terranosaurusdoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
If memory serves it's yellow for reverse lights and white for the earth in the 12s connections.
I think thats right, there is a good post on here somewhere, 12s has two earths, one is just for fridge.
Old 23-03-2016, 22:58   #7
terranosaurusdoug

Got it sorted, didnt have to go too deep, traced power from the truck to some fuses at front of van then nowt, fuse was ok when I pulled it out to see, put it back in, thought I might as well change it to make sure, when I pulled it out again it fell to pieces, new fuse in and hey presto, it works
Bloody cheap fuse I suppose, what brand do you guys use, any recommendations of where or what to buy!, Mark.
Old 24-03-2016, 11:31   #8
micktheshed

Vehicle: Dec 2004, terrano 3l Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranosaurusdoug View Post
Got it sorted, didnt have to go too deep, traced power from the truck to some fuses at front of van then nowt, fuse was ok when I pulled it out to see, put it back in, thought I might as well change it to make sure, when I pulled it out again it fell to pieces, new fuse in and hey presto, it works
Bloody cheap fuse I suppose, what brand do you guys use, any recommendations of where or what to buy!, Mark.
Just a thought, there are a lot of cheap & nasty fuses about these days. Caravans, espacially, are fitted with them. They are not to be trusted as, using a meter, they appear to be OK resistance-wise but do not pass anywhere near the stated current. I have resorted to using fuses from scrap cars (10y + old) as these are of much better quaulity.
micktheshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 14:35   #9
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

I just find the most expensive, newest car in the scrap yard and grab a load from them as they are usually OEM, try the Volvo's I've had quite a few that were ones that illuminated when they blow so you know which ones are gone.

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 15:56   #10
terranosaurusdoug

Good idea getting them from a scrapyard, just the excuse I need to go for a rumble round

I'm glad you posted that mick 'cos I checked the continuity of the old fuse with my multi meter before it broke and was ok, or so I thought, I'm having a couple of other electrical probs, I'm gonna swap the fuses first now, thank you everyone, Mark.