Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 26-03-2009, 20:00   #31
Deleted account DD
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Dont rely on it, one of the pads measured me @ - (yes minus) 45kg!!!!
Deleted account DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 20:03   #32
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by daved View Post
Dont rely on it, one of the pads measured me @ - (yes minus) 45kg!!!!
LOL!

Scratch my comment about the Smart being possible; apparently its the GVW that has to be used, and thats higher than kerbside weight (the 730kgs I mentioned for the Smart.

Read this interesting extract (I'll post the link for anyone interested below):

I have a motor home and want to tow a Fiat Seicento behind it using an A-frame. This car has a kerb weight under 750 kg so am I legal with this outfit?
Sorry no is the answer. The law regards this as an unbraked trailer and you are allowed to tow up to 750 kg Gross Trailer Weight, not a car’s kerb weight. The figure you have to use is the car’s Gross Vehicle Weight or Maximum Permitted Weight. This is usually at least 300 - 400 kg more than the kerb weight. We have no knowledge of any car sold in the UK that has a GVW under 750 kg. The only vehicle we know that is completely legal to tow with an A-frame is the French Aixam small "car". This is a full four seater and details can be obtained from Aixam UK on 01926 886100. An A-frame or dolly can only be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. Transporting a car is, therefore, illegal. A-frames may be offered with a braking system that applies the car's brakes. These do not conform to the law as the car then becomes a "braked trailer" and has to conform to European Directives contained within the Construction and Use Regulations. It does not conform to the European Directive 71/320/EEC and amendments regarding braking requirements in any way. The use of this A-frame for transportation is illegal. It is still OK for use to recover a vehicle to a place of safety.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/po...ex.htm?t=61469
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 20:04   #33
(RIP) PLANK

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

interesting idea te smart car at 720k but is that kerbside or gross?

with trailer law it all hinges on gross weight, for example, i have a small (ish) ifor williams trailer with a gross weight of 1250 kilos but empty it probably weighs around 200 to 250 k giving it a payload of 1 tonne, it does of course have brakes.

now, if you have recently passed your test you can not tow a trailer with a gorss weight of over 750 kilos GROSS so even when towing this trailer emtpy you would be breaking the law.

So fomr this example it would be fair to assume that the smart if capable of carrying 2 average adults at 70k each plus luggage and fuel would, as a gross weight be way over 750k!

ther are some breaking systems around now for cars towed behind motor homes but i dont think they operate the brakes on all 4 wheels. I'm sure some one out there knows better?

I am still of the opinion that it still leaves you with two insurance policies two lots of road tax, two mot's etc and you are still towing something so there is no saving over having a car and caravan combination, but then many people seem to love doing this so there must be some benefits too it.
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 20:07   #34
lacroupade

GVW Plank....even worse as you say...
Old 26-03-2009, 20:24   #35
Thomas-the-Terrano2

Vehicle: Terrano2 R20 lwb 2.7TDi

We like to rally with our caravan, or use 5 van farm sites. these are often uneven
fields and have seen to many motor homes bog down with the need of recovery.

obviously fun to offer help, further as stated as their axles are at the ends of the
vehicle atleast compared to a caravan levelling is a bigger issue. have seen many
return from a day out using levelling ramps with difficulty - much reving only to
still be out of level.

if they go out then have to leave sign behind saying motorhome on this pitch etc.
then if find somewhere else nice have to come back to collect their bits.

only real use is on tours moving on every day or so and using ferries where length
savings can be made.

reckon some scared of towing or perhaps mobility issues preclude towing. these
days their are lots of gadget to help though; motor movers, levelling devices etc

all said a small transit van sized camper capable of towing a boat or caravan might
be handy for short trips or even scouting trips from 'van as a base station.

would like a big m/h one day capable of towing a decent 4x4 on its own trailer, one
of these yank coaches with slide outs, just for the hell of it you understand.
saw one other day at £135,000 oh yes.

'60' 2010 Ford C Max Zetec 1.6i, black

'56' 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0TD, silver

2021 Bailey Pegasus Grade SE Turin caravan

Smile, its more likely to confuse.

One Life, Don't Just Live It, Drive a Nissan, or ...... a Jeep.

Owner of Nissan 4x4s 2005 to 2019, and maybe in the future too!
Thomas-the-Terrano2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 20:28   #36
(RIP) PLANK

thats another thing i was wondering about, most large motorhomes /campers, seem to have a lot of body overhanging the back axel, which must make taking a trailer round a corner an interesting experience!
Old 26-03-2009, 20:33   #37
Deleted account DD

Easy then innit....................buy a caravan and a terrano AND save money
Old 26-03-2009, 20:38   #38
Travis

Vehicle: Terrano

Which is exactly what I've done!

Andy.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 20:40   #39
Deleted account DD

Old 26-03-2009, 20:40   #40
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Which is exactly what I've done!

Andy.
Andy? Sure its not Dave Lee, the well-known 80s DJ and Terrano enthusiast?
Old 26-03-2009, 20:53   #41
BigBlack

Vehicle: 2005 Terrano II 2.7tdi SE

Ive got a 'van, and we love it (and I was only 26 when we bought it!!!)

Grew up caravanning, going on rallys every holiday and made loads of friends - now want the same for my kid. Also generally use CL's for main holidays, we (group of 5 of us) book a whole CL for the fortnight to ourselves. Kids can play out cycle round field, have a game of cricket - have there own play tent set up, major BBQ's on a night, up all night drinking and dont upset anyone!
(dont get me wrong, we aint larger swilling loud 'chavs' who dont control ourselves or our children!!!)

Father-in-law had a caravan - great big twin axel, now all his kids no longer go with them he had 'upgraded' to a motorhome. Reasons:-

No need to store it
No need to shove and push it in/out of storage (twin axel took 4+ of us to turn it round)
No hassle or worries about towing it on motorways, snaking etc
No worries about hitching it up
Litterally if you fancy going away for a weekend/couple of nights just get in it and go

.... and if we are away together he goes everywhere in my car with us!

Reason I dont have a motorhome.... couldnt afford one even if I wanted one!
BigBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 20:54   #42
Terranosaurus

Vehicle: 2001 2.7 TDi T2 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroupade View Post
LOL!

Scratch my comment about the Smart being possible; apparently its the GVW that has to be used, and thats higher than kerbside weight (the 730kgs I mentioned for the Smart.

Read this interesting extract (I'll post the link for anyone interested below):

I have a motor home and want to tow a Fiat Seicento behind it using an A-frame. This car has a kerb weight under 750 kg so am I legal with this outfit?
Sorry no is the answer. The law regards this as an unbraked trailer and you are allowed to tow up to 750 kg Gross Trailer Weight, not a car’s kerb weight. The figure you have to use is the car’s Gross Vehicle Weight or Maximum Permitted Weight. This is usually at least 300 - 400 kg more than the kerb weight. We have no knowledge of any car sold in the UK that has a GVW under 750 kg. The only vehicle we know that is completely legal to tow with an A-frame is the French Aixam small "car". This is a full four seater and details can be obtained from Aixam UK on 01926 886100. An A-frame or dolly can only be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. Transporting a car is, therefore, illegal. A-frames may be offered with a braking system that applies the car's brakes. These do not conform to the law as the car then becomes a "braked trailer" and has to conform to European Directives contained within the Construction and Use Regulations. It does not conform to the European Directive 71/320/EEC and amendments regarding braking requirements in any way. The use of this A-frame for transportation is illegal. It is still OK for use to recover a vehicle to a place of safety.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/po...ex.htm?t=61469
Honest John obviously isn't up on his construction and use stuff then.

Yes some cars are under 750kg so don't need to have brakes if you re towing them. However as they are fitted with brakes they have to be operational. UK law is a little unclear about how they should be operated though, in the USA an electrical overrun device can be used to operate the brakes using an electric motor/servo to depress the pedal. Some people think this wouldn't do over here and you would need a mechanical/hydraulic system (operating on all 4 wheels - so pulling handbrake cable isn't enough) - they are available but don't appear to be widely used.
Terranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 21:01   #43
tezzer

Vehicle: transit camper van 1987

getting back to leveling, where i keep my van there are several large motorhomes, and speaking to the owners, it came up regarding leveling, and was told when you spend £30-50.000 you only have to push a few buttons and it,s done, self leveling system i suppose, "flash gits",

and i have a transit camper and i would'nt part with it for the world, it's to handy, days out, fishing, best thing we done was to throw a few clothes in and just set off, ended up in cornwall for 4 days, this was 3-4 years ago now when we had the hottest day, bbq, wine, good weather what more do you want??

tezzer
tezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 21:10   #44
lacroupade

sounds the biz tezzer
Old 26-03-2009, 21:11   #45
(RIP) PLANK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezzer View Post

and i have a transit camper and i would'nt part with it for the world, it's to handy, days out, fishing, best thing we done was to throw a few clothes in and just set off, ended up in cornwall for 4 days, this was 3-4 years ago now when we had the hottest day, bbq, wine, good weather what more do you want??

tezzer

sounds great, thats what appeals to me about owning one, just get in and go!