Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 14-07-2010, 12:55   #16
Liam
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

I love these kind of posts The Police State is alive and well and living in the UK (probably too close for comfort) ,with the population of Britain apparently so scared of the Police to go about their lawful business in case of getting into bother. Maybe people should just get on with it and deal with any issues arising if and when. I know one thing for sure,I don't want any hassle from the Police but I don't think asking strangers on an anonymous internet forum is the best place for factual information,especially if you think it may be of concern to the Police.If you really want the correct answer,write to the Police and they will have to reply in writing and then go by their written advice, then if stopped you can show the correspondence to the Policeman/woman who stopped you.Simples.Perhaps if people just went about their business in a normal manner they would find that the Police aren't interested in them. I have travelled to the UK with firearms on a good number of occasions but I never asked a stranger how I should go about it, I just behaved like a normal citizen going about my lawful business and never had a problem, sometimes entering the UK without even having my firearms checked by Police or Customs and on one occasion they came out on the carousel with the ordinary luggage. I genuinely believe if you have serious concerns,talk to the people who might have an issue with wheels being removed i.e. the Police. If they can't help you,I doubt anyone on here can. Still enjoy these kind of posts and hope I haven't offended anyone, just sometimes I thank God I live here in our quiet little place where the Police don't even go after the bad guys,never mind the law abiding. It is changing,though,and I'm sure we will catch up with you soon
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 20:07   #17
(RIP) PLANK

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patrolman View Post
Darwins theory of evolution and the process of natural selection!!!

If you are stupid enough to take two wheels of something that is supposed to have four for a reason then you will die!! taking the stupid gene with you... assuming that you have not already passed it on!!

Unfortunatley the HSE and Plod keep interfearing with this natural process and stupid people are breeding, because thats all they can do. In continuing acts of stupidity they are putting the rest of the normal folks at risk!!

I drive about 800miles a week and take my life in my hands every time i get in my van doing my very best to avoid all the stupids so that I can get home safe to family and friends!!

Leave the wheels on thats why they are there!!

I don't care if you die through your own stupidity but please don't put the rest of us at risk because you can't tow a trailer properly!!

Or Plod will do you!!!
a bit harsh but very true, and very funny
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 20:44   #18
The Patrolman

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol 4.2 PeTroll

Hi Rustic,
sorry I diddn't meen to sound harsh with
'I don't care if you die through your own stupidity but please don't put the rest of us at risk because you can't tow a trailer properly!!'
I apreciate you have given the matter some thought and sought advice from the wealth available on this site...

As a further point of contact I would suggest you contact Vehicle Operating Standards Agency VOSA or the Plod.

A colleague of mine (also holds class 1 HGV licence) has had many dealings with what you can and can't tow and with what, and has been challenged by 'Plod' just to check his rig. He had a 110 defender which is rated to pull his 3.5T Trailer so he was OK!!

Apart from Plod and VOSA roadside checks you also have to deal with the traffic wombles!! who would not hesitate to close down the whole of the countries roads if they got a sniff of an unsafe vehicle or a bit of stray grit on the road!

I still think that 4 wheels are better than 2 but that's a new thread alltogether!!
The Patrolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 20:47   #19
(RIP) PLANK

lateral view!

if this is legal then sureley on a twin wheeled transit tipper i can remove the outer two wheels if it is unlden?

some how i believe i would be arrested
Old 14-07-2010, 21:12   #20
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

I agree with you plank at least on the harsness issue.

The reason I went for a 4 wheel trailer was for safety of both my family and other road users.
A 2 wheel trailer could have done the task quite easily, BUT I thought the centre of gravity would have been higher. (Fact: it would).
Reason 1 Larger wheels to carry the weight would place the boat higher and a lighter trailer again moves the C of G higher. (fact: it would).
Reason 2 If there was a blow out there would more than likely be a major issue.

Having the heavier trailer 600kg of low ballast and smaller wheels lowers the C of G. The 4 wheels give stability in the event of a blowout as the trailer when loaded is not at full capacity.
Now I put a lot of thought into this when I ordered the trailer.
Certainly not someone with a "Stupid Gene"

I think the stupid Gene is not with the person enquiring about safety, BEFORE going ahead with the action without taking advice.
After all this is what this site is about.
I would like Patrolman to read the original text, in the contect of how this was written and reconsider his comments.

The action of removing 2 wheels from the trailer, just to make it clear, has not actually taken place, and will not take place until all avenues have been explored, and the outcomes considered.
This was the reason for this post, to tap into a vast data of knowledge.

I think the common sense gene has been well and truely demonstrated.

So for your interest," the Stupid Gene" has not been passed on, as it was never there in the first place.

Best regards, and thanks to all the people giving feedback.
I will give the feedback from the AA on their return of the email
Rustic
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 21:17   #21
rustic

Patrolman, I was not aware of your last comments as I was writing during the time you were so they passed in the post as it were.
The problem of watching TV and typing..
I understand your comment and I would never put anyone at risk.
Best regards, Rustic
Old 14-07-2010, 21:24   #22
(RIP) PLANK

Rustic, well i certainly have a stupid gene and im conmfident i have passed it on

i see what you men about the wheels though, i have a twin axel trailer that gets used for shifting all sorts of stuff around and when it is empty the front wheels seem to just skim the floor or even hover above it due to tow ball heights.

i have also noticed a bit of play in the bearings of these two wheels and wonder if there is any conection between this and them hovering off the groud and occasional touching when they are not moving and the ground is?

I know on 4x4's dropping plates etc are 'arguably' permisssable but on cars post 1998 they are no longer legal, so loads of people must be in the situation!

for me dropping the ball would mean it actin like a plough when off road, and keep changing heights or removing wheels would end up taking up a lot of my day and to be fair i can't be arsed.

it is as you said an interesting thread, in many ways, but i'm sure patrolman meant no offence just a bit of streaight forward banter
Old 14-07-2010, 21:30   #23
rustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANK View Post

it is as you said an interesting thread, in many ways, but i'm sure patrolman meant no offence just a bit of streaight forward banter
Thanks for that Plank, no offence taken, I might start a new thread and remove one of the wheels on my mav and get cheaper road tax
Then move to Peckam..... Luvely Jubbly
Rustic
Old 14-07-2010, 21:43   #24
(RIP) PLANK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustic View Post
Thanks for that Plank, no offence taken, I might start a new thread and remove one of the wheels on my mav and get cheaper road tax
Then move to Peckam..... Luvely Jubbly
Rustic
what a brilliant plan! my plans never sem to work so i might try yours
Old 14-07-2010, 21:48   #25
briggie

Vehicle: " alice "

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1990-RELIANT-R...item43a054ff72
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 21:53   #26
(RIP) PLANK

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggie View Post
wow, do you think it'll pull my caravan?
Old 14-07-2010, 21:57   #27
rustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggie View Post
I don't normally laugh at Clarkson, but top gear got me in stitches with rolling the Robin Reliant.

My Dad had a Reliant Regal, similar to the Robin, he could drive this with only a Motorcycle licence, but only if you plated over the gear-gate that was able to select reverse.
I remember him getting out many times to push it for a 3 point turno

Progress huh..
Old 14-07-2010, 22:16   #28
The Patrolman

Rustic,
No great offence ment or taken!!
But when you do 50K per year you see some sights that really make you think!!!
Driving is an art and requires 100% attention if you get it wrong just for one second you (not you personally Rustic, but this really scares me!!) you ( general driving person)could end up dead and worst still you could Kill me in the process!!!
May bees I am just getting old or have too much time in the driving seat to think about these things!!
People in £60k motors that can't afford a hands free kit for there iPhones really Boil my P155!!!

Safe Driving All
Old 14-07-2010, 22:30   #29
rustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patrolman View Post
Rustic,
No great offence ment or taken!!
But when you do 50K per year you see some sights that really make you think!!!
Driving is an art and requires 100% attention if you get it wrong just for one second you (not you personally Rustic, but this really scares me!!) you ( general driving person)could end up dead and worst still you could Kill me in the process!!!
May bees I am just getting old or have too much time in the driving seat to think about these things!!
People in £60k motors that can't afford a hands free kit for there iPhones really Boil my P155!!!

Safe Driving All
None taken, I really get upset with people often women, starting to drive from a car park with the phone in their hand as they start off.
No excuse for that..

I have seen women using their mirror putting lipstick on, and eye shadow.
And men using an electric shaver and the mirror.

Worst ever.........

Drivers with seat belts on in the front and the kids loose in the back, sometimes lying on the back parcel shelf or in the rear of an estate car, no seat, no belt.

People loading their car at Wickes only using bunjee cords to secure the load.

If you need 2 straps to secure a load, I use 3.

Now we have the Sat nav to play with....
Old 14-07-2010, 22:54   #30
The Patrolman

I saw a bloke take great care to secure an 8x4 to his roof rack, tying the straps through the open windows... Then look around to see if any one had seen him try to open the front door to get in but couldn't.. What a moment that was!!

SO...
"If you need 2 straps to secure a load, I use 3."
Why when you need 4 wheels on a trailer would you think about using 2 not 5????????
LOL????????????????????