Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 16-03-2019, 10:04   #1
jims-terrano
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Default Terrano, what next?

Well the unfortunate facts are Terranos will not last forever and are becoming rarer. Having time to think lately I’ve been thinking about my trucks and wondering how long to keep them. Economically they both want money spending on them and although the 3 litre has a solid body and the 2.7 has had a lot of the weak areas repaired.
Just how long do you keep these teucks going for?

I love them and they are very practical but wondering when is it time to face facts and what to replace them with?
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 11:05   #2
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

I was very lucky and picked up an excellent Patrol just over year ago, and after some mods know it will last my driving days out, similar with the Mrs T2, recently grit blasted and rust proofed the whole thing, so go find a good Troll, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 12:12   #3
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

I had the exact same problem a few months ago, and in the end I had to jump ship. Even Suz is talking about a Wrangler as the replacement to hers when the time comes.

The problems I found were, there is a gap from 2005 to 2011 where the tax is silly money, so that cut out a lot of the more affordable cars, and pound for pound you pay a lot of money for a decent Patrol, to the point other cars that actually give you more for your money come into the equation.

Funny thing is, the Grand Cherokee is a big car, and does feel it, so Suz was not so keen to drive it. Then I got her to drive it over to Thurrock the other week, and had to fight to get it back from her.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 13:26   #4
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Exclamation Terrano alternatives

I had the same conversation with myself when we bought our WJ series Grand Cherokee we hated the ride on poor road surfaces below 30 mph but suspect our uprated rear ARB was partly to blame. After a while we got used to it, Wendy has become really attached to our WJ but as we replaced my 325 with a WK Grand Cherokee the improvement is huge in all areas. I bought a 55 plate with the old VED duty band. We are not sure if we will ever replace the WJ as we can when Wendy retires drop back to just one 4x4, that said I might be tempted to buy one like Clive's.

What I like about the Grand Cherokee is they seem good value for money on the used market, the bodywork on ours is good and I have not seen any rot boxes on the road.
Our experience with the Hyundai Santa Fe was that they seem to have been built to last until the 7 year warranty expires and then they suffer from multiple failures. Ours getting written off was a godsend. Yes it was cheap but it was quickly turning into a money pit. Oil seemed to leak from everywhere at once. In the first 6 months Sump leak, Steering Rack leak, water pump failure, broken rear springs I could go on.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 13:54   #5
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Ah guys come on what's wrong with you!!!!

Terrano's FOREVER

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 14:41   #6
jims-terrano

I’m trying to be pragmatic as I don’t really know what my future fitness is going to be. Would hate to think that I can’t repair myself as that would make it too costly. Plus having seen eltys photos today it does make you wonder. I’d thought about a Yeti for practicality.

Have to say my 3litre hasn’t been used since 31st Jan day before operation. Went out to it this week and it started up straightaway, didn’t take any more starting than normal. Can’t grumble at that for a 15 year old car.
Old 20-03-2019, 11:41   #7
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

I'm going through a similar thought process of either selling the Terrano and buying something bigger or spending money on the Terrano to get a build that I want. I've found someone who can do a pop top and just need to check the price.
If that isn't too bad, I think it might be worth having the body work fixed up and a full renovation and camper build (seats out). Spending £5k to get a new car will be worth it....... I think....
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 11:52   #8
jims-terrano

Big problem is there is definitely something about a terrano isn’t there

I’d still like a vw camper but my big problem is what my future holds after this illness. Think for the moment I’m going to hold on and see what happens.

Like the idea of a pop top terrano camper but I think you have a great setup Simon. The roof tent and awnings are great.
Old 20-03-2019, 12:01   #9
don simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
Big problem is there is definitely something about a terrano isn’t there

I’d still like a vw camper but my big problem is what my future holds after this illness. Think for the moment I’m going to hold on and see what happens.

Like the idea of a pop top terrano camper but I think you have a great setup Simon. The roof tent and awnings are great.
I think the Terrano is perfectly narrow, it's great for driving around town and on the lanes. Just easy to drive. I took a Colorado out recently and the space is great, but they're huge, same with a Patrol.

If I upgraded, it'd be for a pick up and a cellular (not too sure of the full English name).

VWs are way too expensive, a Hi top Iveco or Sprinter have less of a fashion tax on them.
https://www.campercat4x4.com/the-barretina

I'm happy with the current set up, but have seen this.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/105740...57671255466474
And can't unsee it. It's stunning.
Old 20-03-2019, 13:02   #10
jims-terrano

Simon, that Toyota does look great doesn’t it. As you say the Terrano is narrow which is great but also works against it with space.

My big problem is I have too many cars and until I know what my levels of fitness will be and capabilities running a terrano or two could become very costly having to pay for all repairs.
Old 20-03-2019, 13:22   #11
don simon

Quote:
Simon, that Toyota does look great doesn’t it. As you say the Terrano is narrow which is great but also works against it with space.

My big problem is I have too many cars and until I know what my levels of fitness will be and capabilities running a terrano or two could become very costly having to pay for all repairs.
Have you still got the MG?
How many cars have you got in total atm?
I look at the Terrano as being big enough that engine problems are going to be minimal.
Body work an tinworm are the biggest problem, get that sorted and the car will be trouble free (maintenance only) for years to come. If it ain't broke, etc. I reckon the basic design of the Terrano will be a better bet than a modern car that needs connecting to a computer for everything.
My Volvo doesn't even have a dipstick. Low oil light flashes and it's a trip to the main stealer. What should be a 30 second job becomes an afternoon without the car. And then another 1/2 day lost as the topped up oil didn't register and was still showing low oil...
This Volvo has been by far the worst car I've ever had for time in the workshop
Old 20-03-2019, 14:19   #12
jims-terrano

Still got the mg but I don’t count that because it’s so long from being on the road but again this too depends upon my fitness returning.

2 Terranos and the Skoda, wasn’t expecting Terranos to last as long. Wife drives one of the trucks so not as bad when I look at it like that. Both Terranos as we know aren’t worth a great deal.
Old 20-03-2019, 18:22   #13
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0

Quote:
Still got the mg but I don’t count that because it’s so long from being on the road but again this too depends upon my fitness returning.

2 Terranos and the Skoda, wasn’t expecting Terranos to last as long. Wife drives one of the trucks so not as bad when I look at it like that. Both Terranos as we know aren’t worth a great deal.
Good news Jim is the MG will probably go up in value even unrestored.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 23:29   #14
Thomas-the-Terrano2

Vehicle: Terrano2 R20 lwb 2.7TDi

well as the 3 litre engine in the terrano has restored my faith Id look for another late
Patrol, now we have the cmax as a smaller vehicle round town atleast the trol would
master any caravan we'd own. the last trol was deemed little to big as only motor.

'60' 2010 Ford C Max Zetec 1.6i, black

'56' 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0TD, silver

2021 Bailey Pegasus Grade SE Turin caravan

Smile, its more likely to confuse.

One Life, Don't Just Live It, Drive a Nissan, or ...... a Jeep.

Owner of Nissan 4x4s 2005 to 2019, and maybe in the future too!
Thomas-the-Terrano2 is offline   Reply With Quote