Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:15   #1
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Question Looking at a new cordless drill anyone here tried Milwaukee?

After many years of great service from a Makita cordless drill due to all 3 batteries failing I replaced it with a Hitachi Unit that has just 2.

TBH it was a cheaper option than another Makita or a DeWalt unit but now regret not going for a 18 v unit

I keep on seeing the Milwaukee range on promotion at Screwfix and am very smitten.

Has anyone here used one of these ? I know they are not cheap but they seem really light & compact.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milwaukee...53.m1438.l2649

I made the mistake a few years ago of buying an Eurbauer Hedge Trimmer as I only have a small hedge but it turned out to be close to useless after a few outings. I went back to Bosch as my original unit was just crazy money it was a "Little Wonder" double sided 12 volt unit that ran off a car battery (made in the USA) that my Father bought used at a Garage Sale it lasted for almost 30 years - it cost £15 as a used item in 1979! The motor burnt out as a result of lending it to my brother who probably tried to cut a tree down with it. lol
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:09   #2
GregT

Vehicle: 95 2.7TD SWB 98 2.7TI SWB

I use Milwaukee for work, a 1/2" impact gun and a cordless angle grinder. I find them to be very good, and a bargain compared to Snap on, with a better warranty.
also they dont change their batteries every time they come out with a new gen.

The one you linked to is an older model, the newer stuff is labeled 'Fuel' i thought that it meant it was brushless but it says that one is as well so I'm not sure.

Battery life is excellent on the angle grinder, much longer than you would expect.
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:41   #3
RJL Services

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano 2.7 2003

i prefer dewalt 3yr guarantee battery life is excellent i have never had a problem any i have i have just bought the 1/2" impact gun which came with 2 x 5amp batterys and charger so i can use them across the range and bare tools are cheaper plus the charger does all the different battery voltages my prefference but have looked at the ones you have mentioned the last dewalt 18v drill i got from screwfix was £99 combi drill,2 x 2amp batterys , case ,charger

does seem a good price with the 4 amp battery
RJL Services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 15:03   #4
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

You answered the question to your thread in the first line

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 15:46   #5
macabethiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
I use Milwaukee for work, a 1/2" impact gun and a cordless angle grinder. I find them to be very good, and a bargain compared to Snap on, with a better warranty.
also they dont change their batteries every time they come out with a new gen.

The one you linked to is an older model, the newer stuff is labeled 'Fuel' i thought that it meant it was brushless but it says that one is as well so I'm not sure.

Battery life is excellent on the angle grinder, much longer than you would expect.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwaukee...bi-drill/832fj

Wow that is some drill !
Old 12-10-2018, 15:49   #6
macabethiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
You answered the question to your thread in the first line
So you are saying Makita, thing is what was good 10 years ago can become left behind by new product from other manufacturers.
Old 12-10-2018, 15:54   #7
macabethiel

Default DeWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJL Services View Post
i prefer dewalt 3yr guarantee battery life is excellent i have never had a problem any i have i have just bought the 1/2" impact gun which came with 2 x 5amp batterys and charger so i can use them across the range and bare tools are cheaper plus the charger does all the different battery voltages my prefference but have looked at the ones you have mentioned the last dewalt 18v drill i got from screwfix was £99 combi drill,2 x 2amp batterys , case ,charger

does seem a good price with the 4 amp battery
I have a DeWalt corded SDS hammer/chisel it was good value. My old Bosch burnt out after a couple of years of light use.
Old 12-10-2018, 19:53   #8
Terrano Steve

Vehicle: Terrano

I can't comment on the Milwaukee other than I have only heard good things about them. I have an Erabuer at the moment which doesn't have anything like as much torque as previous 2 Hitachi's.

I totally agree with manufactures being left behind or even using a name which was built years ago to sell sub standard products now.
Terrano Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 20:39   #9
Banshee

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
So you are saying Makita, thing is what was good 10 years ago can become left behind by new product from other manufacturers.
They are still the best in the business mate

Old 15-10-2018, 19:43   #10
Terrano Steve

Vehicle: Terrano

Quote:
After many years of great service from a Makita cordless drill due to all 3 batteries failing I replaced it with a Hitachi Unit that has just 2.

TBH it was a cheaper option than another Makita or a DeWalt unit but now regret not going for a 18 v unit

I keep on seeing the Milwaukee range on promotion at Screwfix and am very smitten.

Has anyone here used one of these ? I know they are not cheap but they seem really light & compact.

I made the mistake a few years ago of buying an Eurbauer Hedge Trimmer as I only have a small hedge but it turned out to be close to useless after a few outings. I went back to Bosch as my original unit was just crazy money it was a "Little Wonder" double sided 12 volt unit that ran off a car battery (made in the USA) that my Father bought used at a Garage Sale it lasted for almost 30 years - it cost £15 as a used item in 1979! The motor burnt out as a result of lending it to my brother who probably tried to cut a tree down with it. lol
Did you buy the Milwaukee?
Terrano Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 20:45   #11
macabethiel

Question The final two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrano Steve View Post
Did you buy the Milwaukee?
Not purchased one yet its a final between these two.

or this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-DH...53.m1438.l2649

Will not buy it until the Insurance Final Payment comes through, it will be a Christmas pressy from the Boss.
Old 15-10-2018, 22:09   #12
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

I use 12v Milwaukee stuff, impact driver, sds drill, reciprocating saw (sawsall), combi drill etc.
Its very powerful stuff and I reckon the 18v tools will be unstoppable, apparently the current 18v out performs the old 28v they did.
I've used a friends Makita stuff he got last year and I thought it felt cheap and nasty, compared to my Milwaukee stuff at least, performed ok but lacked the refinement and quality of Milwaukee.
I recommend you find out exactly what model you are buying and do some research on it, I once nearly bought a new Milwaukee "bundle" but when I did a bit of digging they were lesser models of what I wanted eg. not all metal gearbox, not brushless etc. The brushless stuff will say FUEL on it, check chuck sizes too!!
My Milwaukee stuff has taken a proper beating over the years and is still going, the only issue I have is with one of my batteries that likes to fall out but I just use that one in my speaker, the 18v lock in though somyou won't have that issue.

Hope this helps
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 23:51   #13
Banshee

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranosaurusdoug View Post
I use 12v Milwaukee stuff, impact driver, sds drill, reciprocating saw (sawsall), combi drill etc.
Its very powerful stuff and I reckon the 18v tools will be unstoppable, apparently the current 18v out performs the old 28v they did.
I've used a friends Makita stuff he got last year and I thought it felt cheap and nasty, compared to my Milwaukee stuff at least, performed ok but lacked the refinement and quality of Milwaukee.
I recommend you find out exactly what model you are buying and do some research on it, I once nearly bought a new Milwaukee "bundle" but when I did a bit of digging they were lesser models of what I wanted eg. not all metal gearbox, not brushless etc. The brushless stuff will say FUEL on it, check chuck sizes too!!
My Milwaukee stuff has taken a proper beating over the years and is still going, the only issue I have is with one of my batteries that likes to fall out but I just use that one in my speaker, the 18v lock in though somyou won't have that issue.

Hope this helps
How's that for a product review Day to day living

Old 16-10-2018, 08:41   #14
macabethiel

Default Fuel Range Milwaukee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranosaurusdoug View Post

Hope this helps
That's useful information the one I am looking at is definitely brushless, the Fuel models I researched are double the price it looks as though it's fully aimed at the professional market. The one below is 5 amp as opposed to 4 amp battery. It is also quite a bit heavier as you might expect.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwaukee...bi-drill/195fj
Old 16-10-2018, 14:20   #15
macabethiel

Quote:
That's useful information the one I am looking at is definitely brushless, the Fuel models I researched are double the price it looks as though it's fully aimed at the professional market. The one below is 5 amp as opposed to 4 amp battery. It is also quite a bit heavier as you might expect.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwaukee...bi-drill/195fj
Found one at this price very tempting !!

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/m18f...BoCisIQAvD_BwE