Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:42   #1
hellhawk
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano
Default Hello to one and all

first off i want to say this is a great site as i do all the work on my cars.
so heres my story ( it my get to be a war and peace)
I bought my R reg 1998 lwb terrano Tdi se touring with 120000 miles from a dealer in manchester, he said it had been looked after very well. When i looked at the terrano it looked great blue over silver just the colour i (my wife) wanted manual leather, 7 seats. took it for a test drive it was great.
So i bought it for a good price. and drove it back home to Kendal where i live. Next day a trip to auto parts in kendal (best place for oil filter and parts etc.) got oil filters and new drop down links and water pump and it leaked water everywhere.
i stripped the inter cooler off with the air filter and the breather. this is where i started to worry, the old air filter had been marked with the last service milage of 98000 miles. the turbo had oil in it and the intercooler was full of oil also the outside of the turbo was covered in oil.
so two cans of carb cleaner later and all looks good.
The week after we go on holiday to our house in france (Dordogne) 14 hours of driving. the terrano never missed a beat all the way down. it sat at 80 mph with a 500 liter roof box on.
when we get there i did a little calculation of fuel and found it to be doing 21 mpg not good, also there was no oil when i checked the dip stick the following morning. so i buy oil and fill it up.
So we drive around france for two weeks and it starts doing 28mpg!
again when we drive home 21mpg and i keep putting oil in every few hours.
When we got home i investigate first the fuel. i remove the intercooler and what do you know its full of oil. when i checked the diesel return lines under the insulation covering them i find they are soaking in diesel, so a meter of fuel line and half an hours work and they are replaced.
As for the oil it turns out to be a breather problem the oil is being sucked through the breather and into the turbo, it then seep out of the rubber pipes that connect the intercooler to the turbo/engine and runs down turbo. Has anybody had this problem before and what is the solution please? would fitting a K&N filter help as in reduce the suction on the breather? the breather is clean and free from blockage.
Thanks in advance.
hellhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:16   #2
jace

sounds like either worn out engine or theres a seal gone in turbo be carefull it dont decide it likes the taste of its own oil and get away from you!
Old 06-09-2007, 09:35   #3
theduck

Hi and welcome to this great club :smile: . It sounds like you might be going to have a lot of trouble with your engine . If you read some of my previous posting you will see I have been experiencing simalar problems. Now the good (may be for you) news I am thinking of scrapping my truck which is a 1999 2.7 TDi LHD. Look in the mechanical section and read about engine managment light on so it running rough.
You never know we maybe able to help each other :wink: :?:

Regards

Dave the Duck

Quack Quack
theduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:09   #4
biffa

Welcome,

Yep I think Jace is right,

I'd pay close attention to the piston rings and turbo seals,

Hope for you it's the turbo, piston rings is engine out job,

Best not continue running it until your've solved the problem,
Old 06-09-2007, 11:13   #5
jace

reading it properly and saying its breathing heavy must be rings which is a real pain easier just to put new engine in probibly cheaper aswell.
if it catches on its oil itll be game over!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:51   #6
Deleted Member S

Hi & welcome to the club :smile:
Deleted Member S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:52   #7
theduck

if it catches on its oil itll be game over![/quote]

OH Dear I do hate to say this but thats what happened to mine :cry:

I am going to get rid of it either as one peice of break her down, I would prefer to sell it as a one peice. Mine needs a head for a 98/99 Terrano the it willbe be as sweet as a nut.

If any one wants me to explain in more detail then e-mail me and I will send you my phone number (home)

Dave the duck

Quack Quack

@ 13.00 off to pick up another Terrano 2 5dr LWB RHD :smile:
theduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:59   #8
jace

well at least youll be able to swap all good bits and some of the left h d bits to make the rhd bit different!
Old 06-09-2007, 15:21   #9
hellhawk

Sounds all doom and gloom.
I'm in mexico working at the moment, so i'll call the wife to leave it alone.
When i get home i will pressure test cylinders. If there ok will have to get a new turbo.
Thanks guys will let you know what happens.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:02   #10
iandouglas

Vehicle: LANDROVER Disco 300TDI
Default worn engine

hi hellhawk.
would be shocked to find engine worn out.is it smoking heavy from cold?
have you done the bypass on exhaust recycle valve ?
it helps with the engine breathing .
is turbo return oil pipe clean and clear?
is there a lot of blow by when you take the filler cap off ?
rgds.iandouglas.
ps. my truck has now done 173k still going strong hardly uses any oil between changes.

be interesting to see what the comp test comes out at.
iandouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:38   #11
hellhawk

It smokes when cold if you rev engine a little, after that nothing.
Don't think it has egr valve? couldn't find one.
I think the engine is possibly ok as it seem very fast for something so big, never need to change down on motorway even below 50 mph, just put foot down. (and it has a 500 litre roof box fitted)
will be disconnecting breather and connecting a filter so i can keep an eye on that.
If it needs a new turbo where is best and new or recon?
have been on diesel bob site and a few others.
Wondering if fitting an induction kit will help (after problems have been sorted) as the hole into airfilter unit looks a little small and all the air pipes look big.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:54   #12
jace

had induction kit on my maverick didnt notice any performance increase but gained few inches wadding depth over standard and it made people chuckle to see a k+n on a big oil burner!
Old 25-09-2007, 20:44   #13
wildbri

Vehicle: terrano 1997 tdi

Hi Hellhawk, I have a red 97 round headlight terrano and you will see me around kendal. I was wondering if you have solved your engine problem? I travel around the continent for three months each year towing a caravan and get 26 mpg and 30mpg solo, I must say that I never go over 70mph and 3000rpm. I do find that even towing I never have to change put of 5th gear on the motorway.
hope your problem is resolved and not to expensive. regards bri......
wildbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 20:50   #14
jace

i was talikin to pajero owner he reckoned 18mpg before he hitched van on hed never dared work it out after that!