Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 03-04-2019, 17:01   #1
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs down TomTom free update was it a sales con?

I bought a Tom Tom GO 720 many years ago and registered the device for the warranty but never bothered with map updates as they were not free.

Although the unit is probably 12 years old and has had the plug repaired it works just fine for going to France etc. Today I had notification that no more updates are available and due to GPS WNRO my device will not be supported so I need to have the free updates as WNRO is rolled out after 6th April 2019.

I duly went for the last chance saloon update - now my device has stopped working as it says no maps found. As I have never had an update I have no backed up previous maps. The help link on my display is a dead end.

I did though get an offer of a couple of new TomTom models at a discounted price - a coincidence? I have a newer Garmin and Satnav in our Jeeps but feel well miffed.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 17:37   #2
jims-terrano

What’s GPS WNRO?

I have an old tomtom one and love the way it works but like yours no updates as it was bought in 2006. Just sits in glove box hardly used but when I want it just fires up and works.
Got a newer model about 3 years old. Works totally differ and hasn’t got points of interested that are as programmable like the one was. Horrible device lives in wifes draw in living room.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 17:59   #3
macabethiel

Hi Jim,

This is what it says in the e-mail I haven't a clue what it means by week number roll over.

One-time update for your device

This message is regarding your navigation device with serial number:

M67307B03865

Due to the upcoming WNRO on 6 April 2019, the performance of your device will be impacted.

While we no longer offer content and service updates for your device, we have made an update available that addresses the GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO).

TO UPDATE: Connect your device to your computer. Click the ‘update now’ button for instructions​ on how to update your device.

Important note: When you connect your navigation device to your computer, you will see a pop-up stating that it is not possible to make the update. This is normally the case for devices for which we are no longer able to support, but as this is an external issue related to GPS WNRO, we are offering a software update. Close the pop-up and continue with the update.

I followed the instructions as they appeared.
Old 03-04-2019, 18:34   #4
jims-terrano

Oh right, bet mine won’t update. Suppose I’d better check the newer model first and ensure it’s updated. Then will have to see if my old tomtom one will update, to be honest that’s the one I’d love to update.
Old 03-04-2019, 19:05   #5
macabethiel

Thumbs up Map function restored - I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
Oh right, bet mine won’t update. Suppose I’d better check the newer model first and ensure it’s updated. Then will have to see if my old tomtom one will update, to be honest that’s the one I’d love to update.
Hi Jim,

If your device was registered and you have the same e-mail address you should get the e-mail all about it.
I have just spent an hour or mre with various options (re-set button did not change anything) and have managed to somehow install some maps so now it appears to be working again. I suspect that there was a backed up copy somewhere. It started to work again after I installed maps for the Netherlands! lol
Old 03-04-2019, 22:38   #6
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

I asked on a Jeep Forum if the built in SatNav will be able to cope with this GPS issue, but like most posts, I never got a reply.

Basically, the GPS system is having it's own version of the Y2K bug, and the Date and Time stamp will revert to 00000 or what ever on April the 6th. Most older SatNavs will be affected, but it does not seem to have been widely publicised, considering how many people it will affect.
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:43   #7
macabethiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret View Post
I asked on a Jeep Forum if the built in SatNav will be able to cope with this GPS issue, but like most posts, I never got a reply.

Basically, the GPS system is having it's own version of the Y2K bug, and the Date and Time stamp will revert to 00000 or what ever on April the 6th. Most older SatNavs will be affected, but it does not seem to have been widely publicised, considering how many people it will affect.
Yikes, I never thought about that messing up both of my in car SatNavs, I guess it will be a dealer update only if it's still a factory supported system. This link seems to say it might all be ok.

https://www.xyht.com/gnsslocation-tech/wnro/

Last edited by macabethiel; 04-04-2019 at 04:50. Reason: link
Old 04-04-2019, 08:29   #8
jims-terrano

I’ve still got the email addresses from when I got it but that was a long time ago so no idea about registration, can’t imagine not but there were no updates with it either. I still have the original SD card as it was small so copied original to a bigger card so that i had space for more voices and points of interest. At the end of the day if it doesn’t work just hard lines nothing I can do just bin it.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:06   #9
panelbeater

Vehicle: nissan terrano 2 2.7 tdi

i got a new tom tom 50 go,a few years ago about £120 ,reg it on line and updated it a few times a year free.the first thing to go wrong was the battery only lasting a few mins,i put up with this for a couple of years untill it kept craching on boot up even though it was on power.it also lost the speech side of it as well.
i bit the bullit and got a battery from flee b,managed to get it apart without damage and fitted new battery.
it booted without crashing and i put it on power to charge for a few hours.
but what prompted me to do this was an email saying it needed updating from tom tom but as it kept crashing i decided to new battery it.
now i connected to tom tom site and installed the update and now it works like new,i even have speach back so for under a tenner it is fully working unite.
i am pleasefd.
panelbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:37   #10
macabethiel

Thumbs up Fitting batteries etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by panelbeater View Post
i got a new tom tom 50 go,a few years ago about £120 ,reg it on line and updated it a few times a year free.the first thing to go wrong was the battery only lasting a few mins,i put up with this for a couple of years untill it kept craching on boot up even though it was on power.it also lost the speech side of it as well.
i bit the bullit and got a battery from flee b,managed to get it apart without damage and fitted new battery.
it booted without crashing and i put it on power to charge for a few hours.
but what prompted me to do this was an email saying it needed updating from tom tom but as it kept crashing i decided to new battery it.
now i connected to tom tom site and installed the update and now it works like new,i even have speach back so for under a tenner it is fully working unite.
i am pleasefd.
Always good if you can fix it yourself. A few years back I put a new battery in the wifes Sony e-reader by following a U tube video. She has never used it though I read the free books. Read yesterday that e-books are finished / finishing ! Kindle stole the market I guess.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:57   #11
Lazy-Ferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
Yikes, I never thought about that messing up both of my in car SatNavs, I guess it will be a dealer update only if it's still a factory supported system. This link seems to say it might all be ok.

https://www.xyht.com/gnsslocation-tech/wnro/
Fingers crossed, I have just got the hang of aĺl the steering controls, would hate to loose their function fitting an aftermarket unit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2019, 16:45   #12
macabethiel

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret View Post
Fingers crossed, I have just got the hang of aĺl the steering controls, would hate to loose their function fitting an aftermarket unit.

I guess you mean those sneaky little buttons on the underside of the steering wheel hub - three on each side - both our Jeeps have them.
Old 04-04-2019, 16:52   #13
jims-terrano

This has prompted me to check updates on our newer tomtom, much as I don’t like the way it operates compared to older unit I know that we have it so better to keep it updated. Just taken ages to update, about 700mb so I’m guessing one of the updates would of been for this gps glitch.
Will take a look at my older tomtom one later and see if I can update it or if it is bound for the bin on Saturday.
Old 04-04-2019, 17:44   #14
Lazy-Ferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
I guess you mean those sneaky little buttons on the underside of the steering wheel hub - three on each side - both our Jeeps have them.
Thats the ones, the amount of times a good track would come on and instead of turning it up, I skipped it.. so frustrating... lol 1st world problems!!

Old 05-04-2019, 16:50   #15
macabethiel

Exclamation The power of advertising & doubt !!

Well took stock regarding our loose SatNav units, one very old TomTom & a cheap and cheerful Garmin that I used for work.

The Boss offered to buy me a new Satnav for my birthday next month so this morning we purchased a TomTom GO 6200 the modern day equivalent of our old unit.

The loyalty deals offered by TomTom were worthless as the prices quoted were based on US prices, looked on Amazon but decided to buy local from Halfrauds. I have been pondering on a new Satnav for the last 6 months plus I had no idea what I wanted for my birthday.