Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 15-12-2007, 22:43   #1
holdall

Default Hello where has the heat gone?

Hi there. Holdall here from freezing York. And yes the heaters' just decided to go on holiday for the winter. Ive been reading the threads for both electrical & mechanical problems etc. Seems I may be in both categories. I have a 95 mistral 2.7 auto. Well here goes;
. the heater is rubbish, blows ok but hardly gets warm.
. the temp guage never moves off the rest position.
. I cant find the so called pollen filter behind the glove compartment.
. there are wires leading from beneath the front seats into the carpet, heated seats I wonder?
. and the gearbox makes a clonking noise when gently moving foreward or back but is fine once under-way.
Apart from these; the vehicle is great! the kids love it my wife likes it and the neighbours are scared of it getting too near their euro-boxes.
I backed it into a blokes house not long ago with no apparent damage to either house or 4x4. My eldest son has a discovery he's a keen "off-roader" and wants me to try out the mistral. Im' willing ,but as this is our family hack, taxi, holiday transport and my work van , Im reluctant to launch it down narrow rocky gorges; screw the rocks off it up impossible looking cliff faces or plunge it from 30 mph to 0 within the first 4 feet of a black swamp. It would be great though to see what she could do.
Have a great Christmas & New year!
Regards.
Holdall.
Old 15-12-2007, 22:45   #2
leo23
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

alright m8 welcome! have you checked your thermostat to get your heater working?
leo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 22:56   #3
holdall

Default cold feet

Hi Leo23
Thanks for the prompt reply . The stats probably the next thing on the check list. I think I remember that there may be two types ; 82 & 88 degree c' If Im right the 88 will take longer to open so the block should warm up sooner.
thanks
Holdall.
Old 15-12-2007, 23:31   #4
iandouglas

Vehicle: LANDROVER Disco 300TDI
Default thermostat

hi holdall.
just had same trouble swapped the thermostat again today put an 88deg
in gauge holds half way now .
have a look in downloads section for thermostat swap .
rgds.iandouglas
iandouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 08:43   #5
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

Initially looks like the thermostat.
There is no pollen filter on the earlier Mavericks and Terranos, it does take a long time to heat up the engine, there is a lot of metal, oil and water to heat up before you get any cab heat.
The viscous fan is excellent at overcooling the engine as well.
I have fitted a temporary plywood panel behind the front grille, held on by 1 M6 bolt straight into a threaded hole, behind the grille. I re-fitted it again last night. 5 min job. The front grille (on Mk I mav anyway) is held on by 5 plastic clips. You get a slotted screwdriver and turn the square headed plastic screws approx 45 degrees to the left. The 4 corners are easy, but the 5th one is in the middle and you can get to the back of the clip from the top near to the bonnet catch, press the top of the clip and out it pops.
I sprayed my panel black so it still looks good. To replace the front grille, you have to re-fit the 5 plastic clips back into the grille, twisting the clips approx 45 degrees to re-slot them in. Then align the grille, and simply press into place.

My thermostat is ok but this panel helps in keeping the top of the engine warm. I usually take the panel out again in March.
There is still plenty of cooling from the other gaps in the bumper etc.
Once I even blanked these off... Caution if you are towing though....
If you do overheat, then put the interior heater on....
Not been a problem so far..

I hope you warm to this idea.
Best regards, Rustic
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 17:37   #6
theduck

ops: now this may seem a really stupid question but OH well in for a penny in for a pound........... my temp gauge only goes up to about the 1/4 mark but the heater works fine :? does this mean my thermostat is on the blink or is it best left alone :?: ......
theduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 19:01   #7
bigjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck
ops: now this may seem a really stupid question but OH well in for a penny in for a pound........... my temp gauge only goes up to about the 1/4 mark but the heater works fine :? does this mean my thermostat is on the blink or is it best left alone :?: ......
No such thing as a stupid quetion without asking how can you gather info, and for the record mine is the same, it take forever to warm though must be a maverick, terreno thing, mine never overheated even when the water pump was naffed up just made lots of bubbles and lost water????? :roll:
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 19:11   #8
iandouglas

Vehicle: LANDROVER Disco 300TDI
Default where has the heat gone

hello duck
best advise i can give you is start your truck from cold WITHOUT HEATER BLOWER ON BUT HEATER CONTROLS SET TO HOT
Now watch the temp gauge it should rise to approx half way up the gauge before thermostat opens When it opens your gauge will drop back to 1/4 approx
have a look if its not doing the above then i would say your thermostat is opening to early or stuck open.
when its running at proper temp you will find your truck runs muck better and smoother
rgds.iandouglas.
iandouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 19:15   #9
Boggert

I had the same problem, new stat and now all is fine.
Boggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 20:57   #10
theduck

Thanks Ian and bigjim, thinks I may be going to the local motor factors and do a replacement, :idea: :!: 8O may have to wait till after x-mas .....cos next day off from 4pm x-mas eve. maybe santa will bring one. ..............Oh whilst on the subject of that bloke don't forget to google norad so you can track santa on x-mas eve
theduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 22:04   #11

Default Re: Hello where has the heat gone?

Quote:
Im' willing ,but as this is our family hack, taxi, holiday transport and my work van , Im reluctant to launch it down narrow rocky gorges; screw the rocks off it up impossible looking cliff faces or plunge it from 30 mph to 0 within the first 4 feet of a black swamp. It would be great though to see what she could do.
Hello and welcome to the club!! Many people, including myself green lane and off road in there everyday vehicle, as you say its great to see what they can do, as for rocky gorges and black swamp you can always go round
Old 20-12-2007, 21:04   #12
bigjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck
Thanks Ian and bigjim, thinks I may be going to the local motor factors and do a replacement, :idea: :!: 8O may have to wait till after x-mas .....cos next day off from 4pm x-mas eve. maybe santa will bring one. ..............Oh whilst on the subject of that bloke don't forget to google norad so you can track santa on x-mas eve
let us know how you get on duck because mine might be sticking a bit and also i did not know that there was a winter and summer stat available? :?: :roll:
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote