Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

View Poll Results: AA or RAC
AA 7 35.00%
RAC 7 35.00%
other (please state in a post) 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2009, 21:40   #1
Adz
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 1995 SWB Terrano
Question AA or RAC ?

Just curious as with the millage I'm doing in the old girl & having me 2 lill 1's plus still not knowing enough about the engine...
I'm gonna get myself some breakdown cover...
Which would you advise & why.?
Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 22:04   #2
tezzer

Vehicle: transit camper van 1987

hello adz, do you know which type of cover you need?, best to go to their site and type in your requirements and see which is best for you.
tezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 22:22   #3
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezzer View Post
hello adz, do you know which type of cover you need?, best to go to their site and type in your requirements and see which is best for you.

Yeah done that ta mate
Bit of a price difference though
So i thought I'd do this thread to see which one is better really

i.e.
response time...
helpfullness...
customer service...
etc
Old 08-08-2009, 22:28   #4
Terranosaurus

Vehicle: 2001 2.7 TDi T2 SWB

AA over RAC

Used to have RAC - got messed about and left stranded for hours in the middle of the night whilst Alison was pregnant. We could quite literally have walked back faster. Control centre never called back I ad to chase them and chase them etc

Whereas in the last 2 years I've had the AA out 7 times, 6 for my van and 1 for the Maverick (LPG tank fell off). Everytime they have told me a time they will have someone with me and its been right. Followed by a text message to confirm and if an outside contractor who it will be, each time with the van 1hr or less and they have sent heavy enough recovery when I've asked each time so no waiting for recovery after some numpty (my experience) has diagnosed it (hah). The one time with the Maverick they also sent recovery straight out and I was in the thick of the dales and they still got to e pretty promptly on a sunday afternoon.

Wherever you go, check the online price and also try ringing them, also try cash back websites etc or can your insurer offer you preferential rates on cover through them. Its fairly easy to pay a bit less than stated if you try.

Sorry if theres any patrol men on here but its just my experience of them. Last twice I've needed em they haven't had a clue about basics of engines, last one told me he wasn't sure why my diesel van wouldn't start but that there was fuel but no ignition at the cylinder - at that point I suggested being recovered.

I used to work on the basis that if I can't fix it by the side of the road its a pretty good bet they can't and I was never going anywhere that important. But now with a young child and a nbusiness dependent on the van I have cover. But only normal domestic cover btw, they'll cover up to 3.5T on normal cover.
Terranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 22:44   #5
Adz

Thumbs up

AA over RAC

Hoping this would be the winner

(LPG tank fell off)

sorry,shouldn't laugh thats the sort of thing that i would normally say it could only happen to me

I am now intrigued how the hell did it happen
Old 08-08-2009, 22:54   #6
Terranosaurus

Straps rusted through - the std fitment LPG tank straps are pretty weedy. The replacement one I put on will probably outlast the rest of the maverick - wasn't going to have it happen again.

When it fell off it fractured the line and being an old tank it didn't auto shut off so I had a big gas leak, couldn't get near to it for plumes of gas to start with but as it started to frost up it slowed down a bit and then I could, problem is the frist was also obstructing the manual shut off valve eventually managed to slow it donw an dthe shut it off altogether but in the meantime we closed the single track road we were on. Was on a laing trip and i was in the middle of the convoy so it was easy for people to go each way and shut the road. Once everything had warmed up a bit, I slung it on the roof rack and strapped it down, then got a tow to the nearest village. Of course this was the day that the fuel pump connections on the petrol tank played up so I couldn't just switch onto petrol. Hence the AA trip home - pub in village was open to start with though at least ;-)
Old 08-08-2009, 23:04   #7
Adz

I bet ya didnt live that one down for a while

Well at least ya didnt have ya family with ya or on ya tod

Diesel from now on ah

Think i will go with the AA as alot of people seem to say the same
RAC don't apear to give a shit about there customers
Old 08-08-2009, 23:07   #8
extreme-4x4

is AA still relay as opposed to point to point with RAC

the relay always put me off AA
extreme-4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 23:59   #9
bensonsnuts

I wouldn't touch the AA with a bargepole as several years ago after an amateurish recovery on my old Toyota Surf they took it to an AA service centre in Loughboro and tried to charge me megabucks for a head repair .
I removed the car at my own expense to another garage only to find essential parts were missing .
They admitted liability but then when I ordered replacement parts they denied all knowledge and refused to pay.

I'm with Brittania and have used them several times and they have always been excellent
They are one of several firms that use local recovery firms rather than there own trucks , but the clerical and admin service can't be faulted and the local firms ensure a quick response
bensonsnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 00:01   #10
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme-4x4 View Post

AA
Your Breakdown Quote

Single cover
You as the driver or passenger in any eligible vehicle. Joint cover – 2 people living together
As the drivers or passengers in any eligible vehicles. Family cover – up to 4 people living together
As the drivers or passengers in any eligible vehicle. Vehicle cover
Cover for one particular vehicle, whoever is driving. Roadside – this is the minimum level of cover and provides roadside assistance in the UK, 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Relay – national recovery to a UK mainland destination of your choice, if we're unable to fix your car at the roadside or arrange a prompt local repair. Home Start – a quarter of breakdowns happen at or near home, and Home Start provides assistance in these situations. Stay Mobile – if you've broken down and we can't arrange a prompt local repair, Stay Mobile provides alternative travel arrangements. Single cover
You as the driver or passenger in any eligible vehicle.
Roadside – this is the minimum level of cover and provides roadside assistance in the UK, 24 hours a day, every day of the year.
Relay – national recovery to a UK mainland destination of your choice, if we're unable to fix your car at the roadside or arrange a prompt local repair.
Home Start – a quarter of breakdowns happen at or near home, and Home Start provides assistance in these situations.
Stay Mobile – if you've broken down and we can't arrange a prompt local repair, Stay Mobile provides alternative travel arrangements.

Price

Includes no discount
Pay £190.50 per year
Annual membership
or
Pay £18.57 per month
Continuous monthly membership

Parts and labour
Breakdown Repair Cover – helps cover costs for replacement parts and garage labour up to £500 (including VAT; less £25 excess) following a breakdown attended by the AA. Adding this costs from £69.50

RAC
Step 1: Award winning Roadside Assistance as standard

Roadside Assistance
We'll fix your car at the roadside, as long as you are over ¼ mile away from home. If in the unlikely event that we can't fix it, we'll tow you to an approved garage within 10 miles.

Included

Step 2: Choose additional options

Cover OptionDetailsSelection

(Available if you select Nationwide recovery)

Step 3: Choose your type of cover?

Cover type

Step 4: Your chosen cover

Single cover Roadside assistance with:
At home, Nationwide recovery, Onward travel.

Standard price£184.00
Online Discount£49.37
You Pay£134.63

Old 09-08-2009, 01:24   #11
iceman

Vehicle: nissan terrano 2.7 tdi

AA for me, i went as a passenger in my bro-in-laws jeep upto belfast to pick up a chip van on the way back on the M1 the chip van wheel burst and the spare was flat, so bro called his RAC and fobed him off because the trailer was not covered, i flicked out the AA card and without hesitation was with me in 20 mins loaded the chippy van and we carried on our way home in the jeep and the next day the recovery truck brought the chippy van 70 miles to my house with a new tyre.

Bro-in-law paid monthly for about 10years, i have had mine free through lloyds tsb for a about 5 years so freebie AA all the way

Now my mates have decided if they travel any distance they ask me to go for a spin as AA have to get me home lol.
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:58   #12
Terranosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme-4x4 View Post

When the gearbox on my van went in Kent, AA took me back to Yorkshire, they did "relay" me but only as the guy was running out of driving hours, it was quicker to swop recovery trucks than to wait for him to have hi daily rest period etc - 2nd truck was waiting for us at a service station took 15mins max to transfer. If they can get you thee in one go they will, I fell unlucky, the guy was already on shift when he picked us up and there was an accident at Dartford that delayed us, otherwise we'd have made it in one hop.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:33   #13
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranosaurus View Post
there was an accident at Dartford that delayed us, otherwise we'd have made it in one hop.

Accidents & or delays at the Tolls... never...

Bloody M25 is a NIGHTMARE 24/7 now & the truckers WORST drive

Friday i was making my way back from Cardiff...
Joined the 25 at J16...
5 LONG BLOODY HOURS LATER i finally got onto the A12
Went over my drive time by 47 minutes & my duty by 30 minutes
1st time I've ever driven illegally & i wasn't happy nor was my boss
So unlike a tacho where you can write on the back the reason... With a card we had to do 4 computer print outs & write down the reason why...
1 to stay with the lorry
1 to stay with me
1 to stay with me boss
& 1 to be sent off with all the other print outs & tachos...

Operation 'stack' is becoming more common on the 25 now where they allow all hgv's to rest in the hard shoulder...
Old 09-08-2009, 09:36   #14
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensonsnuts View Post
I wouldn't touch the AA with a bargepole as several years ago after an amateurish recovery...
I'm with Brittania and have used them several times and they have always been excellent
They are one of several firms that use local recovery firms rather than there own trucks , but the clerical and admin service can't be faulted and the local firms ensure a quick response

Umm,there is always 1 patrol that lets the side down

Got a website or anything for 'Brittania'.?

At the moment though i must admitt,i'll be going with the AA
Old 09-08-2009, 10:31   #15
Deleted account DD

Why limit the options to AA or RAC ?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ins...dside-recovery

I'm with http://www.vehicle-rescue.com/ as are others from this site. One of whom used them abroad and rates their work
Deleted account DD is offline   Reply With Quote