Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 22-07-2007, 13:08   #1
eclipse
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Default Floods

This might sound a silly question but has any one been asked to assist by using your 4x4 with the flooded areas or if you have voulanteered?

I was thinking of offering help to the emergancy services.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 13:28   #2
jace

hummingbird has been helping in his local area jsut dont use the wifes rangie or youll need the help!
Old 22-07-2007, 14:31   #3
eclipse

Nope I was thinking of using a real 4x4 :P she is sooooooo going to beat me when she reads this :
Old 22-07-2007, 14:45   #4
jace

ha ha bet the dog luvs u more than ever all the hot dinners hes getting!
Old 22-07-2007, 17:18   #5
Terranosaurus

Vehicle: 2001 2.7 TDi T2 SWB

The problem the services have is the usual thing of insurance and liability. Humber and Yorkshire 4x4 Response had to be passed off by the top brass before we were allowed to go and assist, and even then it was only where we were requested to be and I think always accompanied by an officer (I had three in my truck at on point). From there side of things they have no idea who is offering help and whether they are competent etc It's all very well sending someone in with a 4x4 but if they don't really know what they are doing they could cause more problems by drowning their vehicle in a critical place, blocking access for others as an example.
Terranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 17:22   #6
Terranosaurus

Have to say that the we've had the usual disproportionate coverage of the things. Now that the weather has turned sour further south its far bigger news and gets more coverage for longer on the bulletins than when it was pretty much confined to Yorkshire, Humberside and Lincolnshire. Same when it snows, an inch or 2 around Birmingham is big news, but a couple of feet up here wouldn't warrant even a mention, mind you we'd just keep going as usual, everything wouldn't grind to a halt
Old 22-07-2007, 17:34   #7
Boggert

Default Re: Floods

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse
This might sound a silly question but has any one been asked to assist by using your 4x4 with the flooded areas or if you have voulanteered?

I was thinking of offering help to the emergancy services.
I haven’t been asked but being "Plod" I have spent a happy day closing roads on Saturday due to massive flooding.

Also Thanks to a mate of mine and his Navara who I commandeered at the side of the road, I rode in the back down a flooded road to check a stranded car was empty!

I know there is no South Lincs 4x4 responce, could do with having one set up! Would be very handy in snow and rain!

Oh while I'm here I can entertain you all with a funny story...

my self and my colleague were stood in one of my villages. we had arranged to close the road due to the flooding and were waiting for highways. The problem was it was hard to tell what was the road and what was river and all on a corner.
Well highways arrived put up signs and diverts and I stood watching the river rise. The locals lined the bridge with cameras taking snaps. I then hear a vehicle approaching from the other side at speed everyone looked around to see one of the local boy racers heading to the flood at speed!
He drove around the sign and hit the water with a massive splash. he managed to keep to the wrong side of the road where the camber made it a bit more shallow, but as soon as he saw me and the blue lights he hit the brakes, I think we would have made it if he didn't panic... the crowd gave a big cheer as his 53 plate saxo came to a halt in 2 feet of water! : and even a bigger cheer as his girlfriend got out yelling at him!
To be honest it made my day and my self and the chair of the parish council were in stitches!

I saw the lad this morning, he recovered his car late last night and its a gonner... And I don't think the insurance company will pay out as it was his fault. He also got a Section 59 from me for failing to stop and driving like a numpty!

On a serious not it amazing how many foke just don't bother to stop!
I spoke to 3 car loads who are all respectable foke who just felt the didn't need to stop.
Boggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 18:24   #8
Terranosaurus

There seemed to be some interest on either mud Club or Diff Lock in forming a South Links 4x4 Response group. All it needs is for a few like minded people to take the bull by the horns. Thats what happened with H&Y4x4R, a few members of Hull4x4.com set it up initially and then it rolled out over the internet and at shows etc to attract more members. Whilst disatserous for those affected the recent floods has been a source of good publicity and helped memberships and awareness increase. I say if you're interested in setting a similar group up, find a few lik minded individuals in your area, contact the National register and neighboring groups all of whom will be more than willing to help. If you're plod yourself you'll be able to find out the contacts for the Emergency Planning office and make contact. I'll leave it at that but if you'd like any more info please PM me.
Old 22-07-2007, 18:33   #9
Boggert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird
There seemed to be some interest on either mud Club or Diff Lock in forming a South Links 4x4 Response group. All it needs is for a few like minded people to take the bull by the horns. Thats what happened with H&Y4x4R, a few members of Hull4x4.com set it up initially and then it rolled out over the internet and at shows etc to attract more members. Whilst disatserous for those affected the recent floods has been a source of good publicity and helped memberships and awareness increase. I say if you're interested in setting a similar group up, find a few lik minded individuals in your area, contact the National register and neighboring groups all of whom will be more than willing to help. If you're plod yourself you'll be able to find out the contacts for the Emergency Planning office and make contact. I'll leave it at that but if you'd like any more info please PM me.
Thanks Hummingbire a few of us are looking into it. may shout up for advice!
Boggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 19:12   #10
robobone

Vehicle: 1997 maverick gls

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird
Have to say that the we've had the usual disproportionate coverage of the things. Now that the weather has turned sour further south its far bigger news and gets more coverage for longer on the bulletins than when it was pretty much confined to Yorkshire, Humberside and Lincolnshire. Same when it snows, an inch or 2 around Birmingham is big news, but a couple of feet up here wouldn't warrant even a mention, mind you we'd just keep going as usual, everything wouldn't grind to a halt
eh mate i think your getting paranoid :wink: when it happend the other week all we saw on tv in birmingham area was tollbar and doncaster then all about the forgotten town called hull opps city(even the newsreader got it wrong : )
i am not saying we had it worse than you you lot up there but the fact 100+ people were airlifted to safety by the RAF (who was quoted in saying it was the bigest single airlift rescue in peacetime since the last world war. does speak volumes

no matter where you live if your flooded out and stuff destroyed by nature it aint a nice thing. and personally my heart goes out to all those who have been affected to whatever degree
robobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 12:37   #11
robobone

Vehicle: 1997 maverick gls

just as an update

there is no let up in the flooding with upton on severn and tewksbury both cut off some of gloustershire has no water or electric..

raf still fishing people from roof tops and more rain to come.

i really feel for these people
robobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 14:33   #12
eclipse

I have been passed this web site if any one would like a look or even to help.

http://www.4x4response.net/

Chances are with Global warming this will only get worse.