Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 20-04-2011, 21:09   #1
kbekl
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Ford Maverick 2.7 LWB GLX
Default number plates

right can i take the rear plate of the car and attach it to the trailer and not have one on the tail gate ?

also is it ok to use the square plates on a trailer ?
kbekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 21:12   #2
ssteve

Smile

no and yes

ssteve
ssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 21:22   #3
magsleon

Vehicle: t2/2inch lift. Vectra100t

No you need a plate on both
magsleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:32   #4
Thomas-the-Terrano2

Vehicle: Terrano2 R20 lwb 2.7TDi

yes and yes, but its impractical and means moment you unhitch tug is illegal

unless have move plate back to it from trailer.

well thats what i read some time ago

there are many trailered outfits where the trailer is so close coupled to the
tug the tug's plate isnt visible

'60' 2010 Ford C Max Zetec 1.6i, black

'56' 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0TD, silver

2021 Bailey Pegasus Grade SE Turin caravan

Smile, its more likely to confuse.

One Life, Don't Just Live It, Drive a Nissan, or ...... a Jeep.

Owner of Nissan 4x4s 2005 to 2019, and maybe in the future too!
Thomas-the-Terrano2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:44   #5
kbekl

well as i thought lol mixed reaction some say it fine others say no lol

reason is thinking about going away friday and cant get one posted to me straight away due to bank holiday friday, and forgot about the camp's plate untill today and i saw the maverick's plate on it lol

the regs say the most rear part of the unit should have a plate so tailgate or the trailer which ever way round it is
Old 20-04-2011, 22:54   #6
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

seems to me that the system makes it very hard for honest people to get a plate made but as always the dishonest types do not give a toss anyway and just nick em or carry on regardless, my view is that the back is the place to have the plate and when you un hitch transfer it to the car again, the trailer does not require a plate till it is connected to the car, I have some yellow plastic that is the same shade as a plate and have cut some out same size and use black insulting tape to make the numbers, perfectly readable, that after all is what it is about, Rick
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 23:04   #7
Thomas-the-Terrano2

can you not get one made, plenty places do them though technically
need to see some id and cars reg doc.

or make one again many places still sell stick on numbers despite
law and as presume is old trailer who is going to prove wasnt made
some time ago.

yep just checked towsure.com sell parts, plate and characters still.

last ones i got, got pair on ebay no questions as such, though did ask
for two yellow plates, as listing was one white one yellow. said one
for caravan one for rubbish trailer. no issues.

Old 21-04-2011, 07:57   #8
Deleted account DD

Just be careful regarding the onlne ones. If Mr Anal stop checkes you most of the online no docs "these are show plate" types do not carry the BS mark and the producers details are often changed to "my plate". On both counts this is technically unlawful.

But as TTT2 says re the original number plates no problems So long as you have a lawful style of plate showing to the front and rear of the rig (kbekl reckons) you shouldnt have any probs.

I'll be honest, dont know if thats statutory or good will (will find out today) but Ive never seen anyone knocked off for doing so

I cant understand the problem in getting hold of a plat if you have all your docs the local motor factors opens in about 5 minutes, last time i got one from him i was sticking it on the car 10 minutes later
Deleted account DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 08:01   #9
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
use black insulting tape to make the numbers, perfectly readable, that after all is what it is about, Rick
and even if the black tape is cut and stuck to the correct dimensions its guaranteed to stay on in the pissing rain............not.

Im not saying I agree or disagree but theres no point in trying to be clever for the sake of a fiver when your giving some keen black rat type the chance to pull you and fine you shed loads more then that and of course it is NOT simply about being able to read them.

Anyway try using nice tape instead of the rude "insulting" version

As regards making it hard for the normal folk, it doesnt. You need to source either a plate or materials to make one from somewhere. A check of the docs by the bloke in the shop adds what, 2 minutes? onto the process..................if you have those docs of course hurdle number one for some folk

Youre correct of course, some crims continue regardless but there is hard evidence to show that when the regs came in for producing number plates ringing offences started to drop. Most crims put minimum effort in. Make it harder some will go find something else to do.

Relating back to my early comments , a non std plate will get you pulled because any LEGITIMATE car owner for the sake of 2 minutes documents check can have a 100% outwardly lawful appearance, the crims may or may not and if they havent, well worth a tug, youve got a clue that something may be amiss right in front of you. The same applies to Captain Sticky tape. The devils in the detail when you know what youre looking at
Old 21-04-2011, 08:54   #10
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Oh it would be nice if things were as simple, I have a Brian James car trailer and the number plate is in the middle under slung on springy brackets cos the design accepts that it is going to ground at every opportunity and I have lost count of the number of plates that I have made and lost or damaged, I have tried looking at another place to hang it, but there is just nowhere, and have you ever tried to prove address when you have no services whatsoever = no utility bills, Rick
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 09:35   #11
Thomas-the-Terrano2

regarding ebay plates, and mine look good proper font, gb euro badge
are these as unlawful on a trailer as they would be on car. oh and
screw it to trailer light board as i lost one that was stuck on really well
so glad my spare was yellow too.

i wonder when you see so many european trailers that have rolled on rolled
off by ferry with uk tractor units with a a plate held on by a chain, ok correct
for tractor but not lit and bouncing around.

Old 21-04-2011, 10:25   #12
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by daved View Post
and even if the black tape is cut and stuck to the correct dimensions its guaranteed to stay on in the pissing rain............not.

Im not saying I agree or disagree but theres no point in trying to be clever for the sake of a fiver when your giving some keen black rat type the chance to pull you and fine you shed loads more then that and of course it is NOT simply about being able to read them.

Anyway try using nice tape instead of the rude "insulting" version

As regards making it hard for the normal folk, it doesnt. You need to source either a plate or materials to make one from somewhere. A check of the docs by the bloke in the shop adds what, 2 minutes? onto the process..................if you have those docs of course hurdle number one for some folk

Youre correct of course, some crims continue regardless but there is hard evidence to show that when the regs came in for producing number plates ringing offences started to drop. Most crims put minimum effort in. Make it harder some will go find something else to do.

Relating back to my early comments , a non std plate will get you pulled because any LEGITIMATE car owner for the sake of 2 minutes documents check can have a 100% outwardly lawful appearance, the crims may or may not and if they havent, well worth a tug, youve got a clue that something may be amiss right in front of you. The same applies to Captain Sticky tape. The devils in the detail when you know what youre looking at
In the interests of intelligent debate, I'd just like to say...

BOLLOX!!.....

There will always be some fekwit statistician somewhere who can bend the figures to justify the next pathetic, mean-spirited, bureaucratic bit of shite-arse legislation like "having a BS mark on you number plate" - just like they did with speed cameras for years.

FFS this country is run by a bunch of school prefects intent on squeezing the little man on the street into a little mental cube so that he can be managed to perfection by the state........

Well they can all F*CK OFF!!

lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 10:38   #13
kbekl

my local motorfactors dont do plates did a google search and only the online ones came up, didnt think halfraud's did them anymore.

so went out this morning to find one £20 down i now have a plate

i was just asking the question just on the off chance that i couldnt find one for tonight not bothered about doc check get that when i go to cowm leisure centre
Old 21-04-2011, 19:40   #14
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
Oh it would be nice if things were as simple, I have a Brian James car trailer and the number plate is in the middle under slung on springy brackets cos the design accepts that it is going to ground at every opportunity and I have lost count of the number of plates that I have made and lost or damaged, I have tried looking at another place to hang it, but there is just nowhere, and have you ever tried to prove address when you have no services whatsoever = no utility bills, Rick
So you have flawed design on the trailer, not fit for purpose. Modify the damned thing. Theres always a way.

Youre telling me you dont have either a bank acount, deeds to land, credit card, savings/investments or pay council tax. I find it hard to believe you have none. Any one of which will suffice with an explanation.
Old 21-04-2011, 19:43   #15
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbekl View Post
my local motorfactors dont do plates did a google search and only the online ones came up, didnt think halfraud's did them anymore.

so went out this morning to find one £20 down i now have a plate

i was just asking the question just on the off chance that i couldnt find one for tonight not bothered about doc check get that when i go to cowm leisure centre
actually it looks as though you, TTT2 and myself are wrong the chances of you getting stuck on for the swapping number plate thing is slim. But (after being accused of asking wtf questions) I was reliably informed for a vehicle to be road legal you need plates front and rear. if youre towing you then need the same vrm on a plate displayed on the back of the trailer.

all good shit