Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 06-06-2011, 22:53   #1
laurieash
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: TerranoII /Discos/Landrov
Default Solar Panels

Thinking or gettig a solar panel to keep caravan battery toped up when using it on Holidays, What size do i need,any tips as i Know Jacksh.t about them.
Laurie.
laurieash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 22:55   #2
briggie

Vehicle: " alice "

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurieash View Post
Thinking or gettig a solar panel to keep caravan battery toped up when using it on Holidays, What size do i need,any tips as i Know Jacksh.t about them.
Laurie.
solarman 216 is the man to ask
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 22:55   #3
R1cho

Vehicle: 1997 LandCruiser Colorado

theres a few trickle charge ones on the bay like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-Solar-Pane...item3ca5991b7b dunno if they any good tho, was thinkin of getting one myself, you buy it first and let me know
R1cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 23:00   #4
96terrano

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano 2.7TD LWB

But what if it's not sunny
96terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 23:02   #5
R1cho

Vehicle: 1997 LandCruiser Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96terrano View Post
you shine a torch on it
R1cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 23:11   #6
laurieash

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1cho View Post
theres a few trickle charge ones on the bay like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-Solar-Pane...item3ca5991b7b dunno if they any good tho, was thinkin of getting one myself, you buy it first and let me know
Nar dont bother with the little ones i have one there crap.
Laurie
Old 06-06-2011, 23:13   #7
laurieash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96terrano View Post
you come south of the border to get out of the mist
Old 06-06-2011, 23:27   #8
geoffdown

Vehicle: terrano 2.7tdi SE+ (X)reg

Quote:
you come south of the border to get out of the mist
i have a 80w pannel with regulator charging a 110ah lessure battery went to the lakes 4 2weeks with no ehu and it kept battery full at about 9-10ish each morning and we do use alot of gagets 19" led tv 12v, 2 laptops phones, gps for walking then all the 12v the caravan needs i.e lights water pump i have a device called a nasa charge/discharge device fitted to battery show how many amps charging and discharging and tells how lon the battery will take to charge or discharge at that rate on sunny day 80w pannel would kick out 4amp an hour on cloudy day just push 1amp but it works for us we now only go to caravan club cl sites with no ehu and pay £3-£6 a ite for two of us not bad really hope this helps oh the pannel cost £169 del from ebay
geoffdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 00:46   #9
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

I am not up with the smaller stuff, other than the £60 fold out thing from Maplins and did not rate that very highly at all, you will need to spend £200 plus to get something reasonable, but it does depend very much on your requirements, you need to get an amp hour rate of usage per day for your comfort and then rate a battery to give that rate for the number of days you will need it, but it is a very complicated calculation that really can only be done on an individual basis, I had a narrow boat and talking to other boaters they were either lying or they went to bed at 7.30 pm as they were saying they could manage 24 hours on two 100 Ah batteries, I had 800 Ah traction batteries @ 12 volt and could only go 48 hours without running the engine, but each to his own, but it is very complicated, if you want long battery life and short engine run time, = charge time and even then it is not straightforward every now and again you need an equalization charge which car alternators cannot provide, this is not hear say, I run on batteries here and have done for over 8 years, the controllers to manage my battery system are not cheap, but then I expect to get 15 years plus from my batteries, OH and when choosing batteries go for wet with top up facility, I use around 30 ltrs of distilled water a month, I will stop here as I could go on for ever, suffice to say batteries take a very long time to fully understand, Rick
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:46   #10
Duggysdad

Vehicle: Terrano3.0 sve auto
Default Solar energy is free

Free power, but costs are high to start,before I purchased mine I did lots of reserch and ended up with a ready made up pannel of 40 wats wich was recomended if I needed to be without hookup for more than 3 days.
mine was £240 all in all I do when I unhitch from the car is plug this into the 12v system and my power is free and all we do is go on C.C. cl or ccc cs wich are £3 plus, in a year I expect it to have payed for itself.
That is good for the envirament and may pocket as these things last a long time.
Hope this helps you!
Duggysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:53   #11
4wheel

Vehicle: Terrano 11 2.7Tdi SWB

Don't know if this will help.A good few years ago we made a wind charger from an old alternator.Used the plastic fan from a car and some other bits and pieces and as I recall it did the job. Quitelot of fiddling about though.Perhaps there is a wind charger available out there at a reasonable cost?
4wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:52   #12
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

This season we have 3 x 10 watt panels and a regulator on the boat charging an 85Ah battery.
Last season, without the panels we flattened the battery on several occasions

When on the boat we do supplement the charge from an outboard engine.
However we are cruising less these days and the 30 Watts keeps the battery well topped up over a week.

Most panels will give a charge even in just daylight, but the angle to the sun also makes a difference.

You will need a regulator (for panels over say 10 watts depending on battery capacity) otherwise you will over charge the battery and it will loose water.
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:55   #13
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheel View Post
Don't know if this will help.A good few years ago we made a wind charger from an old alternator.Used the plastic fan from a car and some other bits and pieces and as I recall it did the job. Quitelot of fiddling about though.Perhaps there is a wind charger available out there at a reasonable cost?
The Sturmey Archer "in wheel dynamo" from the old bikes are often used as wind generators, plenty of info on the web, so they sell at quite a premium when sold on ebay.
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 22:33   #14
laurieash

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
I am not up with the smaller stuff, other than the £60 fold out thing from Maplins and did not rate that very highly at all, you will need to spend £200 plus to get something reasonable, but it does depend very much on your requirements, you need to get an amp hour rate of usage per day for your comfort and then rate a battery to give that rate for the number of days you will need it, but it is a very complicated calculation that really can only be done on an individual basis, I had a narrow boat and talking to other boaters they were either lying or they went to bed at 7.30 pm as they were saying they could manage 24 hours on two 100 Ah batteries, I had 800 Ah traction batteries @ 12 volt and could only go 48 hours without running the engine, but each to his own, but it is very complicated, if you want long battery life and short engine run time, = charge time and even then it is not straightforward every now and again you need an equalization charge which car alternators cannot provide, this is not hear say, I run on batteries here and have done for over 8 years, the controllers to manage my battery system are not cheap, but then I expect to get 15 years plus from my batteries, OH and when choosing batteries go for wet with top up facility, I use around 30 ltrs of distilled water a month, I will stop here as I could go on for ever, suffice to say batteries take a very long time to fully understand, Rick
Like you say Rick its a can of worms ive opened.need to find out what battery i have then usage, would a Lesure battery or a terrano one be better?
Old 07-06-2011, 23:59   #15
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Quote:
Like you say Rick its a can of worms ive opened.need to find out what battery i have then usage, would a Lesure battery or a terrano one be better?
there is no such thing as a leisure battery, they are start batteries and call themselves something different, a start battery, you can only take to 50% discharge without damage, a full traction battery can go 80% and will do this 350 times a year for more than 15 years, but cost a lot more, a start battery will only survive a few tens of full discharges before failing, so it really depends on usage, for a caravan used only occasionally, and not taken below 50% then you may well get two or more years from it, but simply get the cheapest battery you can find, wet flooded with caps, if you go for sealed, and they tend to be dearer, then you can only charge it at a slow rate 5 amps or so or you will loose electrolyte and will not be able to top, gell batteries are another matter altogether, hope that helps, Rick
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote