Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 16-08-2011, 13:34   #31
Kamsin
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Maverick 4x4 2.7 TDI 97

Not to pee on any one parade, but when i had an accident and had a claim for injuries, it took 18 months to sort out. Hospital after hospital visit so the other insurance where sure i was not scamming them.

I still have a clicking in my neck when i turn my head, their doctor said it could be my "Party trick"
Kamsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 14:14   #32
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsin View Post
Not to pee on any one parade, but when i had an accident and had a claim for injuries, it took 18 months to sort out. Hospital after hospital visit so the other insurance where sure i was not scamming them.

I still have a clicking in my neck when i turn my head, their doctor said it could be my "Party trick"
You're right....the insurers are stamping on this bigtime, I've even read that they are starting to use some special software that they input all the accident parameters to and it determines the actual likelihood of an occupant having suffered whiplash, as well as the voice recognition software they already use to detect bullshitting claimants on the phone...and about bloody time too.

All depends who the insurer is I think as to how long it will take, but given age and infirmity in this instance, the odds are more in their favour than if it were a younger couple.

Its time these stupid older drivers were tested before licence renewal. I had a brand new car written off a year or two ago by some old f*ckwit who fell asleep in his car on a two mile journey from town, and drove into my parked car at 60mph, totalling it. He was 84 years old and could barely stand up (nothing to do with the accident because of the way he hit my car)....in fact I called the police as I thought he was pissed but his son turned up and said he'd been like that for years and the family had been trying to stop him driving....
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 16:57   #33
TONUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroupade View Post
Its time these stupid older drivers were tested before licence renewal. I had a brand new car written off a year or two ago by some old f*ckwit who fell asleep in his car on a two mile journey from town, and drove into my parked car at 60mph, totalling it. He was 84 years old and could barely stand up (nothing to do with the accident because of the way he hit my car)....in fact I called the police as I thought he was pissed but his son turned up and said he'd been like that for years and the family had been trying to stop him driving....
Crikey that's a rather scathing assesment of our senior citizens. There a plenty of F*ckwits under the age of 84, who also shouldn't be driving. Likelyhood is that they never had bail europe out of the hands of the third Reich either.

Alan
TONUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 17:11   #34
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

where are the pics briggie??

whats teh insurance man say? any news there??
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 17:15   #35
Kamsin

Vehicle: Maverick 4x4 2.7 TDI 97

I agree in part, i think after 60 you should have a medical to ensure your still fit to drive, then one at 65 and so on.

LGV drivers have to have one at 45 (I think, iv not had mine yet) to make sure we are safe and before you say it, yes we have bigger trucks. But a Fiesta hitting you at 40 mph could kill you.
Kamsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 18:01   #36
briggie

Vehicle: " alice "

didnt really have any chance to take any decent piccies , the insurance company came to take sally away for a " assessment " , the guy said if it is structural/chassis damage its highly unlikely they will allow me to have the car back .

dont laff , but i was welling up as the transporter drove away with sally on the back of it .

thanks everyone for the good wishes and comments , im bruised and n battered a bit , but sheila is worse , even though she insisted on going to work , she can hardly walk ffs

but thats sheila for you , ask anyone whos met her lol
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 18:34   #37
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONUP View Post
Crikey that's a rather scathing assesment of our senior citizens. There a plenty of F*ckwits under the age of 84, who also shouldn't be driving. Likelyhood is that they never had bail europe out of the hands of the third Reich either.

Alan

Come and tell me that again when one of them runs over one of your children.

Licence renewal at 70 years of age without a medical is lunacy. You can't fly a light aircraft like that so why should you be able to pilot a ton of metal around at 70mph without hindrance?????
Old 16-08-2011, 19:25   #38
clivvy

Vehicle: Terrano 03 LWB

Quote:
Come and tell me that again when one of them runs over one of your children.

Licence renewal at 70 years of age without a medical is lunacy. You can't fly a light aircraft like that so why should you be able to pilot a ton of metal around at 70mph without hindrance?????
this is a fair point, and at the end of the day, if a 70 odd year old is capable of driving, then they will pass.
clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 21:53   #39
Deleted account DD

Quote:
You're right....the insurers are stamping on this bigtime, I've even read that they are starting to use some special software that they input all the accident parameters to and it determines the actual likelihood of an occupant having suffered whiplash, as well as the voice recognition software they already use to detect bullshitting claimants on the phone...and about bloody time too.
still comes down to an assesor taking a look at the end of the day. Took 14 months for them to settle my claim for that silly cow running into me. At first they claimed low speed shunt, air bags not deployed = not enough to hurt him. In the end the solicitors invited them to check out the damaged parts the repairer had kept , they looked at them and settled a week later

as far as tests go, compulsory test every ten years for everyone. Not to be treat as a cash cow by vosa but definitely a good scheme
Deleted account DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 22:03   #40
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by daved View Post
as far as tests go, compulsory test every ten years for everyone. Not to be treat as a cash cow by vosa but definitely a good scheme
I agree, we check our cars every year, why not the drivers.

Also re test if the driver has 6 points, or causes an accident.

May be cheaper insurance as an incentive for those who have a more recent test.

But we would have to follow what Europe tells us.
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 09:25   #41
briggie

Arrow im shocked

just had a phone call from the people who are examining my car .

they are going to repair it !!

new bumper /bumper supports/lights/sparewheel bracket and cover

theyve checked the alignment and its perfect

the guy couldnt believe it had been hit at speed , he said its in very very good condition for its age .

chassis is not damaged

rear diff is ok

they are also going to adjust the drivers door as it has dropped on its supports due to the impact , but is not damaged

sally lives again !!!!!!!

he reckons it will be the end of next week when i get her back
Old 17-08-2011, 09:42   #42
briggie

he also said they are not allowed to fit used parts , so how and where are they sourcing a new bumper /parts from ?
Old 17-08-2011, 10:02   #43
briggie

must admit im shocked , didnt think they would repair her , must be costing more than the cars worth , plus consider the cost of 2 weeks car hire too
Old 17-08-2011, 10:59   #44
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggie View Post
he also said they are not allowed to fit used parts , so how and where are they sourcing a new bumper /parts from ?
I seriously doubt they will....but even if they do it will be special order from Nissan and on current performance take around six weeks to ship from somewhere in Europe (Amsterdam I think). The guy at Nissan 1st said he regularly has people coming to him for parts they can't get new until October!!!

I'm stunned frankly.....the damage is clearly minimal but with new bits, any delay getting parts puts car hire up significantly, so I wouldn't count your chickens just yet.....the assessor sounds like a bit of a plonker TBH.

Since you have a no-fault claim either way, why not persuade him to write it off, get the payout, buy the truck back cheap and fix it with s/h parts and keep the change?
Old 17-08-2011, 11:01   #45
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggie View Post
must admit im shocked , didnt think they would repair her , must be costing more than the cars worth , plus consider the cost of 2 weeks car hire too
They simply wouldn't if they believed that to be the case.....I forget the exact figures but if repair + hire is more than about 80% of market value they normally write it off as they get more than 20% just for the wreckage.