Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 04-07-2007, 19:57   #1
Dalgety4

Default Any LGV drivers out there?

Hi Guys & Gals

Any LGV/HGV drivers (Tacho users) out there :?: ... I have a question......... or two :?
Old 04-07-2007, 19:59   #2
SteveN
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan Mistral

I'm an hgv driver but only work very local so don't spend a lot of time worrying about tachos, but I can always give you an opinion if it helps.

cheers
STEVE
SteveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 20:00   #3
chumba

Vehicle: nissan terrano se 2002

i drive an artic ill try an help if i can
chumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 20:12   #4
Dalgety4

That was Fast!!!!

Last year I had to retire early (after 20 years) from the fire service following an injury. Now I am fit enough to work again I thought i would use my HGV qualification for some part time work.

I never had the need to use a tachograph. I am a little confused about what modes a Disc type tacho should be switched to... when they should be switched and which symbols are OTHER WORK and P.O.A

any other info on hours etc would be good...i understand the rules changed in April 2007.

Cheers
Old 04-07-2007, 20:21   #5
chumba

when the card goes in it will display the bed symbol thats break .

press the button to turn on to work which is the small sqaure with a line through it.

the crossed hammers(other work) if you press the button again i never tend to use so cant say alot about it.

you can drive for four and half hours and then you have to have a 45min break(turn on to the little bed for this then back on to the sqaure after it)then you can drive for another four and a half hours.

you can split your break into two if you want eg stop put on break for 15 mins then have 30mins later.after your second break it restarts your 4.30.

do you want me to go on theres gotta be a website with all this lot on :
Old 04-07-2007, 21:00   #6
Dalgety4

I have been checking various web sites and printing info etc.... there seems to bee a lot of contradictory stuff out there. I need to get it straight in my head coz I have to take a wee test before I can start work.

Thanks for your help!!
Old 04-07-2007, 21:11   #7
chumba

you`ll be fine it dont take long to get in to the routine -welldone-
Old 04-07-2007, 21:31   #8
supertaff

Vehicle: 1999 (V) Terrano II SE
Default Any HGV/LGV Drivers out there.

Hi, I'm a coach driver, but the tacho and hours are similar. I would suggest you take a look at VOSA 's website ( They are the new version of the Department of Transport). All the information you need, including new legislation and any new or forthcoming changes to the law are available here.
Matt.
supertaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 21:58   #9
Dalgety4

I will give that 2 coats of looking at!

Thanks Pal
Old 05-07-2007, 17:10   #10

Don't forget that you MUST take at least a 30 min break within 6 hours of starting work, regardless of how much driving time you have accumulated. This is for the working time directive.

Any more question you have feel free to ask, I've spent the last 4 1/2 years instructing on LGV including tachos and working time directive.

Have you applied for your digi card yet, £38.00. Most firms now insist that all drivers have them irrespective of if they have digi tachos yet.

Most firms will provide limited instructional time to help you (they have to by law).

I have in the past found this web site to be usefull: http://www.transportcafe.co.uk/drivers_hours.html
Old 05-07-2007, 21:28   #11
Dalgety4

Thanks...

I will send you a PM with questions tomorrow. Right now i need to put my feet up and chill. I have just lost loads of money and the will to live during a mammoth trip to the cash and carry.

I will be applying for a digi-card.

cheers

Gray
Old 06-07-2007, 06:12   #12
terranokid

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7tdi

I was given a complete training pack by my works.Training cd a thick book on digital tachos three rolls of paper and a small carry with you ref book the pack was made by siemens and is very good. But in the end there is only a couple of buttons you need to press
"(@ )´(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )****(@)

1997 R/H/L 2.7 TDI LWB SE TOURING, A/C, ABS, GREEN /CHAMPAGNE
terranokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:38   #13
Dalgety4

I had a dig around following the help you all gave me and found this pdf doc. from VOSA

Drivers’ Hours and
Tachograph Rules for
Goods Vehicles
in the UK and Europe
Second Edition: Effective from December 2006
LGV

It does seem overly complicated but I think it has all the info in there :?

I may yet ask more questions... I always was inquisitive :
Old 11-07-2007, 20:40   #14
Mike_spy

I am the middle of doing my class c training, test in a few weeks. I feel just as confused about the tacho rules as you do and I passed my theory test

I have the general idea as posted above but it seems to be a bit of a minefield for me as I only intend on driving some sundays for an extra few £. It appears with will effect how long I can work in the week even though I dont drive much (and will never be with a tacho) at my normal job.

I am amazed how many people are breaking the rules without knowing. As tachos apply to all vehicles over 3.5 tonne for hire or reward, most of the small car / caravan delivery terms are driving illegally. You often see transit sized car transporters towing a trailer with a car on. Unless they have a tacho (and someone with an O license of course) they are illegal. You cant even charge for delivering a car towed by your 4x4 on a trailer.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:42   #15
supertaff

Vehicle: 1999 (V) Terrano II SE
Default Any LGV drivers out there.

The reason any other work is taken in to account is obviously to cover for work done elsewhere. What if you did 40 hours in a factory Monday to Friday, and after finishing work you did two 15 hour shifts on LGV/PCV , so thereby doing 70 hours work .... then fell asleep at the wheel, wiping out innocent people in a fatal RTA ?? Work is work, whether in a factory or behind a wheel.
Another weird point of law, is that if I am going to travel down to say Dover, to take a PCV over to the continent, if I drive or travel down in a works car, that is classed as working, but if I drive or travel down in my own car, that is not classed as work. 8O :? :|
supertaff is offline   Reply With Quote