Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 16-10-2018, 23:11   #1
Lazy-Ferret
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring
Default Overalls, changing my speaking pitch!!

I am going on a welding course, and need to have a set of fire retardant overalls for it.

The problem is, I am fairly long in the body, and in the past I have found all the overalls I have tried, tend to re-arrange my man parts if I try to bend or sit in them. I have a pair of 54" ones, but they do not allow me to bend over at all.

Now I am a big guy as well, so do need the larger sizes anyway, but they seem to think that fat people are all short as well... Probably balding as well!!!

So does anyone else on here have similar issues, and if you do, what overalls do you tend to buy?
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 07:23   #2
Terrano Steve

Vehicle: Terrano

I can't help much with the overalls, but I have done a welding course with my local college & there was no bending involved at all. Each welding bay has a small bench clamped to a pole which can be adjusted up & down so you are welding at a height that you are comfortable with even doing overhead and positional welds.

Are you doing a mig or arc class?
Terrano Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 10:36   #3
jims-terrano

I don’t have that problem. I just can’t get out of the things when they’re on

I doubt I’d survive long as an escapologist
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 13:02   #4
Lazy-Ferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrano Steve View Post
I can't help much with the overalls, but I have done a welding course with my local college & there was no bending involved at all. Each welding bay has a small bench clamped to a pole which can be adjusted up & down so you are welding at a height that you are comfortable with even doing overhead and positional welds.

Are you doing a mig or arc class?
This is a more basic course, showing a bit on all of them, and some of the fundamentals, which is what I am missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post

That I can relate too...

Getting out of them is even harder when they are tight across the shoulders, which is preferable to being tight else where!!!

I have cheated and opted for separate cargo trousers and polo shirt..
Old 17-10-2018, 13:12   #5
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Talking Were twins no other explanation - separated at birth due to hospital error!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post

We must be Twins !

I am identical !
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 13:13   #6
Wheelie

Vehicle: Nissan patrol 3.0 DI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret View Post
I am going on a welding course, and need to have a set of fire retardant overalls for it.

The problem is, I am fairly long in the body, and in the past I have found all the overalls I have tried, tend to re-arrange my man parts if I try to bend or sit in them. I have a pair of 54" ones, but they do not allow me to bend over at all.

Now I am a big guy as well, so do need the larger sizes anyway, but they seem to think that fat people are all short as well... Probably balding as well!!!

So does anyone else on here have similar issues, and if you do, what overalls do you tend to buy?
I have the same issue, these people only seem to cater for short fat people. I have a 58" chest flame retardant overalls which only just meet the crotch to shoulder criteria but look like I'm wearing a massive box of rags.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 15:11   #7
jonny

Same here, long body, short legs and a bit erm, cuddly. (im bubble wrapped because im precious, at least thats what I tell the boss). I got mine from Arco and they aren't bad. Had to try loads on until I found some though
jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 14:27   #8
Lazy-Ferret

I am so glad I am not the only one...

I went for separate Trousers and top in the end. They arrived today, and having seen them, I am glad I did, they are so much better than my experiences with overalls. No sprained shoulders trying to get them on.

I went for Portwest Bizweld cargo pants (BZ31), in 3xl, and to be honest, they are a bit big, but will work with a belt. They can be put on over joggers.

I also went for a Portwest Long sleeved polo shirt (FR10) again in 3xl for the top, and the only negative is that the polo shirt is a bit snug in the sleeves. It does fit over a T shirt, but I would not be able to wear a long sleeved fleece under it.
Old 20-10-2018, 19:23   #9
jims-terrano

Sounds like a great compromise and the benefit of not having to wait for mrs to come home to help you peel them off.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 19:59   #10
Terrano Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret View Post
I am so glad I am not the only one...

I went for separate Trousers and top in the end. They arrived today, and having seen them, I am glad I did, they are so much better than my experiences with overalls. No sprained shoulders trying to get them on.

I went for Portwest Bizweld cargo pants (BZ31), in 3xl, and to be honest, they are a bit big, but will work with a belt. They can be put on over joggers.

I also went for a Portwest Long sleeved polo shirt (FR10) again in 3xl for the top, and the only negative is that the polo shirt is a bit snug in the sleeves. It does fit over a T shirt, but I would not be able to wear a long sleeved fleece under it.
I don't think you will be wanting your fleece if it's anything like the course I did as there are several welders working at the same time creating a lot of heat in a closed environment.
On a side note I thought the course represented good value for money if you work out the hourly rate it is probably cheaper than using your own welder & consumables at home.
Terrano Steve is offline   Reply With Quote