Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Testimonials

Testimonials Here you can read what members have to say about the full membership.

Old 07-10-2015, 17:24   #16
jims-terrano
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Very true trols are nice motors Paul.

That Terrano on ebay looks smart doesn't it. Only problem I can see is that it is the large tax bracket, £500 but the slightly earlier are £285 and earlier still are cheaper but you can guarantee the really early ones will need welding. A very nice looking Terrano just the same and I prefer those headlamps with the chrome grill. My old 05 plate had that style and I think they are a lot better lamps too.
By the way if you get a Terrano with that style of alloy wheel I have one with abrand new tyre on it that I'd like to sell.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 17:25   #17
emjaybee

Vehicle: 3.0Di SVE '05 5 door.

My wife has horses, she uses my 3.0Di LWB 5 Dr manual. Once a month she tows a Ifor fully loaded with hay, the equivalent of two sturdy nags. She loves it, I was hate her using it, she always gets it muddy.

ON THE INSIDE.

Oh, yes, and she never feeds it!

Welcome to the forum, most of them are nuts on here...

...but in a good way.

emjaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 17:41   #18
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Askham View Post
So here I am bored at work scouting around on the internet.... and I have come across this.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2817861117...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks pretty good to me from the outside....
Several things to look for...
Front wings above those plastic sheel arches, can show a few bubbles.
Check sills especially near the rear, look on the inner sills too.
Front cross member behind front bumper.
Lift the carpets under the second row of seats, as they can rust through where the seat belt anchors are, and look at the seat belt points in the rear wheel arches too.
Rustic
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 18:51   #19
Paultrol

Vehicle: Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Askham View Post
I assume by TROL you mean Patrol??? - I've not really considered one tbh.... but from first view they look like they are twice the price !!

what would be the advantage of a patrol over the terrano's??

yes the mighty PATROL.
oh lets start a war
The advantages. room,comfort,refinement and capability
They might be twice the price but they were twice the price new
Paultrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 19:00   #20
emjaybee

Vehicle: 3.0Di SVE '05 5 door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultrol View Post
yes the mighty PATROL.
oh lets start a war
The advantages. room,comfort,refinement and capability
They might be twice the price but they were twice the price new
Nah, you wanna 3.0 Terrano, same engine as a 'Trol, but less bulk to lug around!

emjaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 19:04   #21
briggie

Vehicle: " alice "

if you can find one , you want a 2.7td ....... not tdi ....... virtually indestructible engine , no complicated electronics ....... and will run on veg oil
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 19:07   #22
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
Very true trols are nice motors Paul.

That Terrano on ebay looks smart doesn't it. Only problem I can see is that it is the large tax bracket, £500 but the slightly earlier are £285 and earlier still are cheaper but you can guarantee the really early ones will need welding. A very nice looking Terrano just the same and I prefer those headlamps with the chrome grill. My old 05 plate had that style and I think they are a lot better lamps too.
By the way if you get a Terrano with that style of alloy wheel I have one with abrand new tyre on it that I'd like to sell.
I'm confused on the VED costs here, I certainly didn't pay £500 on my 2005 plate. A quick check tells me I paid £290. Interweb says the change relates to pre and post 2001 vehicles.
Nice looking vehicle there Dave and a good price, I much prefer the black interior.

EDIT:
Quote:
if you can find one , you want a 2.7td ....... not tdi ....... virtually indestructible engine , no complicated electronics ....... and will run on veg oil
The TDi runs on veg too, doesn't it? Doesn't it?
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 19:07   #23
briggie

some members have had their 2.7 td since new ..... over 20 years I believe
Old 07-10-2015, 19:12   #24
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggie View Post
some members have had their 2.7 td since new ..... over 20 years I believe
Yes I have heard a rumour about that...

rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 19:25   #25
briggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by don simon View Post
I'm confused on the VED costs here, I certainly didn't pay £500 on my 2005 plate. A quick check tells me I paid £290. Interweb says the change relates to pre and post 2001 vehicles.
Nice looking vehicle there Dave and a good price, I much prefer the black interior.

EDIT:

yep
Old 07-10-2015, 19:31   #26
jims-terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by don simon View Post

EDIT:

Check the VED and you will see the tax band changed around 2005 and 2006, when it changed it went from the £290 to the £500 band. My 05 plate was in the £285 band as it was then but obviously gone up a fiver to £290.

Yes the tax bands changed around 2001 think it is around the £200 mark for the early trucks, both of mine will be in that band.

Depending upon the fuel pump tdi's will run on veg too. The td stopped uk sales around 1995 ish and yes it has less electronics but chances of finding one in good condition are very slim.

Dave will be getting very confused with all this information over load.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 19:44   #27
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

Quote:
Yes the tax bands changed around 2001 think it is around the Yes the tax bands changed around 2001 think it is around the £200 mark for the early trucks, both of mine will be in that band. mark for the early trucks, both of mine will be in that band.
Closer to £230, I can't see anything beyond the 2001 date change on the DVLA site. Looks like I got lucky with the 05 plate.
That would go some way to explaining why the linked Terrano above is so cheap.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 20:59   #28
Barrbeast

Vehicle: 1990 4.2 SWB Safari

I'm gonna stay out of the Trol or Terrano debate as I'm obviously gonna be biased

With regard to engines, don't discount the 3.0 because of the timing chain - the 3.0 is a hybrid timing gear/chain and all the chain drives is the camshaft. As a result it's understressed and shouldn't need replaced according to the Aussie's (same engine used in the Trols and the Aussie's know about Trols).

Early 3.0s had a bad rep but were sorted by the time they were used in the Terrano.

Only real downside is they won't run veg oil.
Barrbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:29   #29
Dave_Askham

Vehicle: 05 Terrano 2.7 LWB

Well it looks as though I put the cat amongst the pigeons with my question about the advantages of a TROL over a Terrano, I heard the collective 'sigh' from the masses as soon as I hit the enter key !!!

Thanks to all who have responded to my thread, your info, insight and advice is certainly very welcome.

Jim's comments on the VED cost of the terrano I saw on ebay are quite correct £500 per year tax - OUCH !!!! I think I'll give that one a wide berth, however it looks as though an 05 plate is £290 which is a little more acceptable. I'll have to unleash the power of the internet to see what I can find.

again, thanks to rustic for his advice on checking for iron worm, I have seen Jim's project thread and seen the fun that can be had finding and eradicating the little blighters, if I can avoid a load of grinder / welding time I'd prefer that, I don't have enough time as it is without buying ANOTHER project.

As for the veg oil debate, in all honesty it's something I had considered with my VW t4 van, but getting WVO and filtering and buggering about is just a load of hassle I can do without, I bought a little vw polo with LPG fitted for my daily commute, that was cheaper than anything I found in the end, and I didn't smell like a fish and chip shop rolling down the road !!!

again, thanks to all, and I'll keep you all informed of the progress and post some pictures of my purchase as and when it's here...
Dave_Askham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:30   #30
Dave_Askham

Vehicle: 05 Terrano 2.7 LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrbeast View Post
I'm gonna stay out of the Trol or Terrano debate as I'm obviously gonna be biased

With regard to engines, don't discount the 3.0 because of the timing chain - the 3.0 is a hybrid timing gear/chain and all the chain drives is the camshaft. As a result it's understressed and shouldn't need replaced according to the Aussie's (same engine used in the Trols and the Aussie's know about Trols).

Early 3.0s had a bad rep but were sorted by the time they were used in the Terrano.

Only real downside is they won't run veg oil.
When you say Early 3.0 engines, what year would they change to a 'newer' engine?
Dave_Askham is offline   Reply With Quote