Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:09   #1
jims-terrano
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Default Tread Depth Guages

Can anyone please tell me exactly where on a tyre you are supposed to check the depth of the tread on a tyre.

Do you simply check the depth in the tread pattern a ross the tyre width.

Or

Do you check the depth on the wear indicators.

Reason I ask is that my son won’t take my advice to replace a punctured tyre. He’s got a screw in the centre of the tread so obviously needs a repair at least. I’ve looked at the tyre and to be honest it feels and looks very close to the wear indicator. My son has got a tread depth guage and the tread is around 3 to 3.5mm across the width. On the wear indicators it reads 1.6 to 1.8mm.

Obviously he knows best and wants it repaired but I’ve said although it’s within legal limits it really is getting to the point that it needs replacing. Given that it’s a Golf GTTD and has a hell of a lot of grunt and cornering ability I think it needs replacing. When tyres have got to that stage I’ve always replaced anyway as I think they are passed their best at that point.

What’s other people’s opinions.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:53   #2
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
Can anyone please tell me exactly where on a tyre you are supposed to check the depth of the tread on a tyre.

Or

Reason I ask is that my son won’t take my advice to replace a punctured tyre. He’s got a screw in the centre of the tread so obviously needs a repair at least. I’ve looked at the tyre and to be honest it feels and looks very close to the wear indicator. My son has got a tread depth guage and the tread is around 3 to 3.5mm across the width. On the wear indicators it reads 1.6 to 1.8mm.

Obviously he knows best and wants it repaired but I’ve said although it’s within legal limits it really is getting to the point that it needs replacing. Given that it’s a Golf GTTD and has a hell of a lot of grunt and cornering ability I think it needs replacing. When tyres have got to that stage I’ve always replaced anyway as I think they are passed their best at that point.

Ignore the tread depth indicators measure the depth elsewhere on the tyre if they are low profile tyres by that I mean anything below 65 aspect ration I would always replace the tyre or use it only as a get me home spare.

A life is worth more than any tyre no mater how expensive the rubber.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:16   #3
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:

Or

I'm with you Jim

Swap both on the axle and have it done with

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:20   #4
jims-terrano

He’s just set off now before work so no doubt He’ll tell me tonight.

Incidentally I agree with you Ted, I don’t like puncture repairs either. I’d rather have a good set of boots end of.
Old 02-03-2020, 13:11   #5
macabethiel

Thumbs up Mercedes Benz Guidelines say ...................3mm

Merc advise replace at 3.00 mm to maintain safety etc.
Old 02-03-2020, 15:07   #6
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

The tread wear indicators are, or should be a 1.6mm raised bar running through the groves of the tire, and usually their locations are marked by "TWI" on the wall. Once the TWI is no longer able to be felt as a different in height between the treads, the tyre is at/past its limit.

The law now is, you have to 1.6mm in a continuous band around the central 3/4 of the tyre.

I must admit I would never want to run a tyre anywhere near that low.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 17:20   #7
jims-terrano

That’s exactly how I understand it too. I think this mornings disagreement between me and my son is that he is trying to save money so is trying to avoid replacing the tyre.
At he end of the day he is an adult and it is up to him whether he takes my advice or not.
Old 02-03-2020, 17:49   #8
macabethiel

Quote:
That’s exactly how I understand it too. I think this mornings disagreement between me and my son is that he is trying to save money so is trying to avoid replacing the tyre.
At he end of the day he is an adult and it is up to him whether he takes my advice or not.
You can take the Horse to water but you can't make it drink - as my late father used to say!