Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 29-01-2008, 20:00   #16
supertaff
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 1999 (V) Terrano II SE

tRUCK-CLEAN IS VERY GOOD FOR THE CLEANING SIDE OF THINGS ... GETS ALL THE BLACK STREAKS & ROAD TAR, GUNGE AND MUCK OFF, THEN GIVE IT A POLISH WITH "MER BODY WASH" WHICH IS A POLYMER THAT CLEANS & POLISHES. THEY STATE THAT IT CAN BE USED ON CARS, CARAVANS, MOTORHOMES, AIRCRAFT ETC. WITH METALLIC/CELLULOSE/PEARLESCENTACRYLIC/CHROME ETC. FINISHES.

Matt.
supertaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 21:26   #17
(RIP) PLANK

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

silky is the stuff for me cheap and effective and also kind to plastic windows! whatever you do 'NEVER' use a pressure washer of any discription on a caravan.

I hope that doesnt seem rude to other members but you are asking for problems of you do!
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 21:41   #18
andrewk

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinky
I use turtle wax car shampoo with a brush ,then silky to polish it twice a year,but wash it every time we use it.
I use Turtle wax car shampoo too. Many on the UKCS forums (ukcampsite.co.uk) think this isn't a great idea and that we should all be using shampoos and polishes specially designed for caravans (i.e. more expensive, probably). Turtle wax shampoo seems to work OK for me.

As it happens I have an almost full bottle of Simoniz Liquid Diamond polish/sealant stuff that works really well on cars (it's ace on the Patrol) - I never have yet managed to find time to try it on the caravan (Burstner S500TS), but just maybe I'll try this year.

Cheers
Andrew
andrewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 21:46   #19
(RIP) PLANK

i am in agreement, i like silky because it is efective and cheap, but be carefull as it is mildy abrasive, I have also used astonish cream cleaner in a tub and it sems the same as silky. folowed by cheap wash and wax

most caravan specific cleaners seem to be very exspensive for what they are!
Old 29-01-2008, 22:25   #20
Toolbox

Vehicle: Oh yes

Thank you all for your replies, there are some very interesting tips for me to try.

I didn’t want to go down the pressure-washing route for fear of causing problems with leaks, the van at the moment is lovely and dry and damp free.
I have previously washed it with Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner, but with the panels not being smooth found it very time consuming scrubbing with a soft brush. Perhaps I will try a spot of bleach in the water as suggested by BigG.

Never come across silky before a few of you seem to recommend it, may have to look in to see what its like. Just to clarify is this a cleaner or a polish?

The easiest thing would be to get the wife to do it, but I know that’s not going to happen. :
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 23:39   #21
jims-terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANK
i am in agreement, i like silky because it is efective and cheap, but be carefull as it is mildy abrasive, I have also used astonish cream cleaner in a tub and it sems the same as silky. folowed by cheap wash and wax

I agree with Plank and the others about Silky but then I used to give it a polish with turtle wax or something to help stop muck sticking.

Jim T
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 00:10   #22
JonathanM

I use Autoglym carshampoo/conditioner, but then in the rinse water I use Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler. This seems to discourage dirt & marks from becoming too stubborn, in fact the one part of the van that does not have a regular (2-3 times a year) wash & rinse with bobby dazzler (the roof) is the only part that looks particularly filthy.
JonathanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 17:26   #23
robobone

Vehicle: 1997 maverick gls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANK

I agree with Plank and the others about Silky but then I used to give it a polish with turtle wax or something to help stop muck sticking.

Jim T
jim your the expert in getting bogged with mud and cleaning it off so come down to my place and help me clean my van :
robobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 20:51   #24
Dustyboy

Hi Toolbox

I use a power wash cleaner from B&Q on my caravan and then hose off and it removes all green mildew. I then go over it with Mer polish and it comes up a treat every year. Best of luck
Old 31-01-2008, 13:39   #25
robobone

Vehicle: 1997 maverick gls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyboy
Hi Toolbox

I use a power wash cleaner from B&Q on my caravan and then hose off and it removes all green mildew. I then go over it with Mer polish and it comes up a treat every year. Best of luck
most carvan clubs advise against jet washing caravans can cause serious leaks
robobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 17:14   #26
andrewk

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by robobone
most carvan clubs advise against jet washing caravans can cause serious leaks
My guess is that they tend to expose rather than cause leaks.

Cheers
Andrew
andrewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 20:35   #27
(RIP) PLANK

i dont know, the pressure of the water hitting them could make the panels flex around the seams and open them up, also high enough pressure to blast out any seam sealer that is past its best. remember caravans tend to last a lot longer than cars and get serviced even less frequently.