Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 18-07-2007, 17:34   #31
Terranosaurus
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 2001 2.7 TDi T2 SWB

Spoke to one of my customers about this (caravan sales and servicing oufit) and they have heard nothing official, only rumours.
Terranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 18:56   #32
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by robobone
http://www.nationalcaravan.co.uk/search/searchdetails2.asp?id=24

intesting web page
This is not just confined to caravans, boats on inland waterways have to have a boat safety certificate, this is like a safety MOT and is required every 4 years.
If your boat has a petrol outboard, gas cooker, heater, gas fridge, then the inspector really goes for it. With pressure testing, leak testing etc. Also checking there is adequate ventilation, there have been many instances of Carbon monoxide poisoning.
It has been known that a few boaters have filled their petrol tank while in a lock and the vapour has been ignited by the pilot light in the fridge or water heater, or in fact by a cigarette held in the lips of the guy pouring the petrol.. ok not a problem in a caravan, but if there is a gas leak the same applies..

Several people have been killed on boats, so safety is taken very seriously indeed.
The problem is with DIY bodgers, the sort of guy who wraps a piece of foil around the fuse and insets it again... or uses the wrong type of gas hose that perishes when in contact with LPG
Batteries not secured, no fuses or the wrong gauge of cable or cables that run over sharp edges...
240 volts is another issue, on boats you can have 240 volts next to water, provided the correct isolation equipment is used, just like with a caravan.
All in all, maybe an inspection every 4 years for a caravan may be a life saver.. especially if you have bought a second hand one.
Any thoughts...?

best regards, Rustic
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 19:20   #33
robobone

Vehicle: 1997 maverick gls

thats why i totally agree in leglistration there is a need to ensure the saftey of all arouund not just the owners of the van.

i really think the idea of a safety cert given with an annual service is the way forward as it then varies on the amount of stuff needing checking ie mains 12v gas etc.

then a small trailer which is basicly a pair of wheels and a fram(poetic license) wouldnt cost the same to service.

a fairer way alround.

also scrap the mot and include it as a saftey cert again with a full and proper service from a goverment recognised garage.

sorry dishwasher we will have to agree........to disagree on this one :wink:
robobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 23:37   #34
SteveN

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan Mistral

I can't see the problem with tests to be honest, just a fact of life once you get used to them.

Our fairground rides, like all of them have to have three separate tests to get a safety certificate for a year. There are some rides that have to be tested after x amount of hours use, although these rides involve high stress levels on certain parts.

cheers
STEVE
SteveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 09:21   #35
Terranosaurus

Vehicle: 2001 2.7 TDi T2 SWB

Don't think theres anything wrong with an MOT style test for trailers and caravans, bt compulsory servicing by an authorised body - sorry but no see my earlier post about qualified mechanics etc

Have you seen the mechanics the tech colleges are turning out? Some are fine but others only end up on the course because they are basically regarded as too stupid to do anything else - I've seen them myself but I used to rent a room fom the head of the department at a certain midlands college and that was what he said.

As for boats, they do tend to have a bigger problem with gas and petrol fumes as the the vapours are denser than air and sink into the bilges, where there can't be direct venting because that would mean a hole in the hull. This is much less of a problem with a caravan.
Terranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 09:41   #36
rustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird
As for boats, they do tend to have a bigger problem with gas and petrol fumes as the the vapours are denser than air and sink into the bilges, where there can't be direct venting because that would mean a hole in the hull. This is much less of a problem with a caravan.
When we first got our boat, before the Boat Safety Scheme started, the metal petrol tank sat above the battery with a piece wood acting as a loose shelf and insulator. It was like this for all of 5 minutes after I bought the boat.. I then set to work constructing a suitable locker that drained to the outside. (yes above water level) The same with the gas locker.
When gas leaks do occur on boats, which can happen from the cooker hob, as flame failure devices are NOT compulsary on older boats.. I have seen people bailing out the gas with a bucket, it must look very odd for someone tipping what looks like an empty bucket over the side..
And they thought 4x4 drivers were odd.. : :
Also the main problems for boats is that there may be no where to go if there is a fire.. can't always run away...

So if 4 years for a safety certificate is ok for a boat then why not 4 years or more for a caravan, as there are less risks.
Of course brakes and corrosion and hitch wear are a major issue on road safety and so every 4 years may not be enough for the running gear..

In USA the trailers (caravan, camping, boat) each are registered and have their own registration number. Better tracking can be made. I'm not sure if they pay a fee for road use or not.
Old 19-07-2007, 13:41   #37
drivewasher

Thanks Rustic,
As Iv'e said before I'm all for saftey and even a compulsory test.
But I am all aginst the notion that the work required to meet that saftey standard has to be done by a garage.
The mot for cars and trucks works well now even more so with the police number plate recognition camera systems, as long as your motor meets the ministry minimum standard a cert is issued.

WITH THE EXEPTION of gas and electrics especially in caravans and boats as bottle gas has different properties than natural gas ity's even a different section of CORGI regs to do work o bottled gas (It's heavier than air so settles in low places a boat is just a big empty gas bottle!)
drivewasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 14:35   #38
rustic

I did all the work on my boat for the boat safety certificate, and the exact words from the boat inspector was.. " I wish you checked all the boats before I inspect them, then I wouldn't have to fail them"
Mine was the first boat that passed first time. I do all the servicing on my cars and they pass MOT first time as well.
It is attention to detail and understanding the "spirit" of the regulations, too many people go "overboard" (sorry about that) with getting everything to the letter of the law doing more work than is required. Typical British bureaucracy, that's why we cannot compete in Europe. Europe give us guidelines, the government then make the law. This law will differ from how the French say interpret it.
What do the Europeans do re trailer MOT's?
Poland don't seem to bother with their trucks let alone caravans, since 60% are unroadworthy when the stopped them at Calais last month..