Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 15-07-2007, 15:01   #1
iandouglas
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: LANDROVER Disco 300TDI
Default TOURING CARAVAN EXTRA ROAD TAX/RADIO DEVON

HI
listerning to radio devon last week while on holiday at torquay .
local people ranting on about roads being blocked up by caravans /motor homes .
comment`s of they should pay more road tax ,should only be allowed to travel between 11 pm and 4 am.
caravans should be made to have an MOT .
drivers towing caravans should be made to take a driving test .

caravan owner on holiday down there replied with "we already pay more by way of extra fuel costs ,larger car /4x4 to pull caravan.

has his caravan serviced before holiday season.

impractical to travel late at night with young children.

drivers who passed there test after a set date ,have to pass a seperate test to tow a caravan .

ANYONE WOULD THINK CARAVANERS WER`NT WELCOME IN DEVON.

judging by some of the phone calls they recieved .

Coming home Saturday we counted 45 caravans/camper vans in 5 miles.

How much money was going into the Devon coffers ?

how much would they loose if we all sold our caravans, and took our holidays abroad.
rgds.iandouglas
iandouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 16:32   #2
jace

i do think trailers and vans should need some kindve test not everyone responsible enough to have vans serviced! just work how much youve put into devons coffers multiply that by 45 you saw soon be shocked if you 46 boycotted devon!
Old 15-07-2007, 18:48   #3
mr-gadget

I have to say my experience of Devon and Cornwall I would never go back.. as an outsider you are only welcome if you spend money. after that they are very rude and jumped up. I will NEVER return to the south west... Parts of Wales are very similar...
mr-gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 19:22   #4
jace

wonder if jeremy clarkson is from devon and cornwall lol
Old 15-07-2007, 22:29   #5
dexterlevi

Devon and Cornwall provide hundreds of caravan and camping sites so for some people we are clearly welcome. I am originaly from Devon so I can speak as a local. I am hoping to move back to the southwest in the near future and I will continue to welcome caravaners.

I am sure us vanners pour millions into the local economy.Whilst Devon and Cornwall are beuatiful counties, unfortuanatly the have very little else to offer except as a tourist attraction. How quickly the locals forget the boost to their economy we provide.

I have toured all over the UK and one area I have always received a very warm welcome is in North Yorkshire.I have always found the locals to be very welcoming on evey visit I have been on, so I would highly recommend this as an area if you have never been before.
Old 15-07-2007, 23:56   #6
drivewasher

I agree that all trailers wether a little box for tip or a caravan should have an mot test. As hgv trailers have to.
Just think about it if it wasn't for mot test on your cars how many of us would be riding round with faults and putting up with them till we get time, I think it's the same with trailers use em then put them away till next time

I am astounded that my sons minibuses have to have a strict vosa test and a certified and documented saftey inspection ( i think its evey 3 months) on time evry time and yet he can tow a box van trailer full of luggage for 16 or 18 passengers and the trailer can be a right old shed.
drivewasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 08:40   #7
jace

my mate runs minibuses has brand new luggage trailers vosa stopped him once measured distance from rear doors to trailer it had to be enough at any angle for passengers to escape from rear doors luckily for him it passed or they were gonna make him unhitch and leave on side motorway!
Old 16-07-2007, 09:31   #8
drivewasher

When my lad took his bus to vosa for its coif ticket (certificate of initial fitness) they saw the tow hook and gave him an advice sheet re towing a trailer and rear doors. It said basically that in the event of an accident if trailer hindered any rescue actions then he could be held liable, other than that no specific dimensions were given.
I suppose a stop and check would be just the same as if you had luggage in the isleways, they would make you move it
Old 16-07-2007, 11:58   #9
jace

he also had ticket of old bill for being in fast lane motorway with trailer!
Old 16-07-2007, 12:49   #10
robobone

Vehicle: 1997 maverick gls

i also agree to a certificate of worthiness but what would be better is a certificate to say it has had a yearly service by a recognised service agent appointed by the goverment like mot as apposed to just a mot.
that way it would depend on size, style etc not just a one figure cost also it would ensure all trailers are seviced by a recognised service agent
robobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 13:02   #11
jace

it would be a god selling point you could feel safer buying a van that someone has looked after and at least some govt input to say its safe of course everything is open to abuse some mot testers not as strict as others but think at least basics like tow bar and brakes tyres should be checked gas water electric just a dangerous but its your life most at risk with those
Old 16-07-2007, 21:43   #12
drivewasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by robobone
i also agree to a certificate of worthiness but what would be better is a certificate to say it has had a yearly service by a recognised service agent appointed by the goverment like mot as apposed to just a mot.
that way it would depend on size, style etc not just a one figure cost also it would ensure all trailers are seviced by a recognised service agent
NO NO NO!
We already have enough of this certificate rubish like part P for electrics
That would mean only a garage can do your service. I'm definatley NOT suggesting only professionals can do the work. Take the mot on your car anyone can do the work it just has to pass a yearly test of the specified components. That would be enough in my view to keep trailers roadworthy

The way we are going you'll need a certificate to put diesel in yer motor soon a complete load of rubbish.
Old 16-07-2007, 22:21   #13
robobone

Vehicle: 1997 maverick gls

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivewasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by robobone
NO NO NO!
We already have enough of this certificate rubish like part P for electrics
That would mean only a garage can do your service. I'm definatley NOT suggesting only professionals can do the work. Take the mot on your car anyone can do the work it just has to pass a yearly test of the specified components. That would be enough in my view to keep trailers roadworthy

The way we are going you'll need a certificate to put diesel in yer motor soon a complete load of b*****ks
a bit strong there it was only an idea as there is no regulations to cover caravans and just like the gas and carbon monozide you need qualified registered gas engineers in you home to work on your gas system so you should in a caravan

and quite a lot of caravaners are " senior people" who arnt agile enough to climb around vehicles.

a caravan is a luxuary so if you cant afford to service by qualified person then you shouldnt be pulling one.

and i wasnt saying you cant work on you van but have a registered service by a registered person once a year
is not a great hardship in my opinion.

as to regards cert for filling up your tank be sensible :!: :!: :!:
robobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 22:52   #14
jace

over on caravaning4u i was suprised to see disabled caravans wider doors fold down ramps etc i was ashmed to admit i never thought such a thing existed!
Old 16-07-2007, 22:57   #15
iandouglas

Vehicle: LANDROVER Disco 300TDI
Default TOURING CARAVAN EXTRA ROAD TAX/RADIO DEVON

hi play mates.
it troubles me that SOME caravan owners just collect there van out of storage ,maybe kick the tyres and then off they go .

i keep mine on a hard standing on the back garden ,and i still KICK the tyres.,the rear lights , the dog well try anyway keeps running of with the air line..
i jack it up spin wheels to check for free running wheel bearings .TAKE GREASE CAPS OFF PUT SOME GREASE IN AND REFIT shake wheel same as you would for checking wheel bearing free play on your truck. CHECK TYRES FOR CRACKING SIDE WALLS ,NAILS .ECT
take wheels off take brake hubs off ,clean out brake dust adjust brake shoes put hubs back on DO NOT TURN WHEELS BACKWARDS WHILE ADJUSTING >
grease hitch check handbrake operation and over run MAKE SURE BOTH BRAKES COME ON TOGETHER .
HAVE A LOOK AT RUBBER GAS PIPES ANY CRACKING ,PERISHING .
REPLACE.
HAVE YOUR GAS /ELECTRIC /MAINS CABLE/ PLUGS/ APPLIANCES CHECKED OVER .
SOUNDS LIKE A PRE MOT DONT IT.

LOOK IN YOUR CARAVAN HANDBOOK FOR THE DETAILS LISTED ABOVE SEE IF ANY SPECIAL RECOMENDATIONS./DIFFERANCES.

NEED ADVISE ASK ON HERE .CARAVANS AND TOWING .

RGDS.IANDOUGLAS
iandouglas is offline   Reply With Quote