Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:39   #1
zephyr
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 2001 TerranoII SE+ 2.7Tdi
Default Been a while

Hello all, just thought I'd post a chat. I've been away from the website a bit and realised that my membership has gone. I paid and came back here again. Good see you all!

What happened since.... probably in the beginning or middle of last year was that my work got far busier, kids are growing, more time consumed for family activities, then I found myself that all kids stuff as well as mine are becoming too much for my T2. Having two baby car seats + scooter, trike, my toolbox, pushchair etc. etc., I had to start looking for a bigger car and decided to get 2005 Elgrand Rider in peal white - what we call it "Mini Van" in Japan.

Since then it's been serving me/my family well, Nissan at that time called it "First Class on the road" Although there was an option to get 4x4, I couldn't wait for all importing tasks, gone for the one stocked in UK. usually I put up 3rd row (2 seats) to the side to get generous space to store things, but when it needs, it can accommodate more than my family, so it comes in handy for extra load.

Now coming to my T2, it was kind of left behind but it's time for MOT again. I booked a timeslot yesterday but couldn't make it as (you can easily guess) the battery went flat. I managed to jump start it, but then handbrake warning appeared on the dash. I thought it might be brake fluid being low, but as there are heavy showers almost constantly, I couldn't check. They say if the brake fluid became low, the brake would not work?

Also when I pushed the side wing on the driver's side, all rust underneath almost came off making a big hole just over an arch. As a result there have been big cracks around it

I will need to replace the battery but within limited time. Thinking to go to Halfords to get it done there, then bring it to the nearby garage for MOT. After get MOT done at this time, probably I would need to sell T2 (anyone?). Not sure how much it should sell for with these potential issues (ABS, rusts, clicking sounds - relay disconnected at the moment etc.)
zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:15   #2
jims-terrano

Wow you have been busy.

Battery not difficult to fit even though I do remember that you were limited for working space on the truck. To pass MOT the wings will just need a little duck tape to cover the holes as all it needs to do is cover any sharp edges. Now problem with brake fluid is that you mist have a leak somewhere as it doesn’t evaporate like water based substances.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 13:57   #3
zephyr

Hi Jim, thank you for your reply.

To replace battery, it is just all plug off, then pull out, was it? I was looking at Halfords' website and probably I will do it by myself. Any recommendation? (Basically HSB096 or HB334?)

As for brake fluid, not sure if that's the case, but it would need to be something that I ask the garage. Could this make MOT fail?
Old 11-05-2019, 21:15   #4
jims-terrano

Have a look behind rear wheels and see if there is any sign of brake fluid, the rear wheel cylinder do tend to leak. Unfortunately any leaking fluids is regarded as a mot fail as per last years changes though I suspect most testers would use common sense on leaks. I suspect if you are losing brake fluid there will be an mot fail there somewhere.
Halfords do Yuasa batteries which I personally think are great, basically you need largest CCA (cold cranking amps) around 850 I believe but expect to pay around £100ish from memory.

Don’t forget cost of welding too which could prove quite costly to pay someone.

I always hate to see Terranos going to scrap man but you may need to think is it worth getting back on the road in your case.

From what you’ve said I would personally try and do the work but sadly I may be in the same position if my fitness doesn’t come back after my illness and operation.
Old 21-05-2019, 08:41   #5
zephyr

Hi Jim, thank you for your advice. Yes, you are right.

I feel Terrano is having some issues here and there including battery, a potential problem with brake, also haven't sorted old issue with ABS, welding for corrosion - I was thinking if I have to sort these out, let it go through MOT, but then any other issue might come - it might not be worth unless I use Terrano as a main car. Also my home has only space for Elgrand, have to pay for street parking permit for Terrano.

I had a chat my partner and probably we would be going for scrapping it with regret as Elgrand is serving me quite well and we would need to get a smaller one for my partner to drive around the town whilst I use Elgrand with really good space inside.
Old 22-05-2019, 20:47   #6
johnb5177

Vehicle: 02Terrano II 3.0 SVE Auto

Zephyr,

Be VERY careful of Halfords recommendation for battery fitment......they got it very wrong 3 times when I went through the same exercise.

Observe carefully the polarity fitment and dimensions, their recommendations are the wrong way around and too big......

I ended up complaining to customer services, who admitted a problem, and gave me a discount voucher (whooppee...&#128514

Good luck...
johnb5177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 20:57   #7
jims-terrano

Haha I had that with Halfords, their books aren’t correct for the 3 litre as the terminals are opposite to the 2.7.