Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 12-04-2019, 19:51   #1
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Question My Bradbury Jack has died it has the creeps!

About 35 years ago I bought a used Bradbury Trolley Jack it had new seals about 18 years ago as it was creeping now it is creeping again.

It was at least 10 years old when I bought it so am not going to spend any money on it it needs replacing. TBH it is very heavy.

I had a lightweight alloy trolley jack from CostCo about 15 years ago and gave it away to a friend's son who has just started out as an apprentice mechanic.

Our local CostCo does not stock them now so have been looking at a 2.5 T Liftmaster (Amazon) and a SGS one. My Budget I have set at £150

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tja2...m-trolley-jack

Anyone here any recommendations based on recent purchases ?
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 21:34   #2
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

I got a much older 2.5 ton Epco solid as a rock, I find the main issue is the ball bearing seals on the lower command (the valve that lowers the jack) I find the need to remove it and re seat it with a new ball and a drift with a couple of good hammer blows every few years, never put new seals in it ever, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 22:14   #3
jims-terrano

Ted, have you tried Machine Mart as they sell a lot of trolley jacks.

Rick, mines an old epco too and sure enough when I let the jack down oil seeps out of it.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 22:53   #4
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

Suz got me the lightweight Costco one for my Birthday just after I got the T2. First time I used it, I jacked the car up and stuck it on 4 axle stands, getting it as high off the ground as I could... I can't remember why now but it was to make life easier. Later that evening, cold and tired, I went to get the car back down.

The jack lifted the car a fraction, and then blew something with quite a loud bang, and would no longer lift the car. I had the car stuck up on 4 stands, 18 odd inches off the ground, and my only other jacks were either an old Halfords mini trolley jack, or the T2's own one. The poor Halford's Trolley jack was 35 years old, and only rated at a tonne, and neither of the jacks lifted high enough to get the car back off the stands....

After some precarious stacking of wood and bricks, and placing the little Halford trolley jack on them, I was eventually able to get the car off of the axle stands, by going round and round, lifting a corner, and dropping the axle stands a couple of notches at a time. Took ages to get the car down.

The Costco jack went back, and we changed it for their Heavier, high lift one. Much better, but it does creep down slowly, not even staying up long enough to change a wheel, so it is axle stands for every little job (I guess that is not really a bad thing, but a pain in the 4$$ sometimes). When it dies, I will not be buying another one from Costco. The Halfords one is still going strong 40 years on, and still hold secure, I just wish it was bigger.
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 23:03   #5
macabethiel

Exclamation This looks good value ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hilka-2-5...53.m1438.l2649

Hilka I have heard of Screwfix are selling these at around £127.99 looks the same ?
Old 13-04-2019, 11:21   #6
macabethiel

Talking Hilka Tools UK td

Decided to buy the Hilka as its a good price, known make, bought direct from Hilka, as new with damaged packaging.

As I only use a trolley jack a few times a year this should do me fine up until my jacking days are over.lol
Old 13-04-2019, 12:12   #7
jims-terrano

Looks like a great jack, racing jack does that mean that you’ll have a set of wheels replaced on your jeep in under 2 minutes
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 14:55   #8
macabethiel

Talking Help me work, rest etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
Looks like a great jack, racing jack does that mean that you’ll have a set of wheels replaced on your jeep in under 2 minutes
I wish, I suspect its called what it is for two reasons, one a reasonably low level but mainly as it has twin pump for faster jacking up. That will mean I can have longer Coffee Breaks between Wheels!
Old 15-04-2019, 09:39   #9
panelbeater

Vehicle: nissan terrano 2 2.7 tdi

my old 2.5t seely had the creeps then did not pump up proper took it apart but same,so as i cant realy use one now,cant get down,i let scrap man have it amungst a lot of other things,mind you over 40 years at a cost of 65 i had my moneys worth from it.i have a new 2.5t tall reach trolly in a case in the back of the terry unused in case of emergency but thats what rac is for now.
panelbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 18:27   #10
macabethiel

Thumbs up Jack arrived today at 8.30 am !!

New jack unpacked, two screws missing from top cover plate, one found in packaging, other missing. Finish not as good as the CostCo one I had but it's heavier and slightly shorter.

Left the car jacked up for overnight creep test. Screw is standard so not fussed about the missing one.