Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 24-04-2019, 17:59   #1
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Question Cordless 1/2" Impact Wrenches

Thinking about getting a cordless impact wrench to assist me with removing wheel bolts in my old age.

There appears to be two different types of 1/2" fitting, Friction Ring or Indent Pin.
Any advice here on which one is better for this type of application?
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 19:40   #2
kitchenman

Vehicle: maverick 1994 2.7 TD

ryobi do one 400 newtons seen in b&q around £100
kitchenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 20:03   #3
GregT

Vehicle: 95 2.7TD SWB 98 2.7TI SWB

Pin type is meant for use up high and prevents the socket from falling of in the event of a knock or something. Friction ring is for everyone else. I personally have the milwaukee one and it works great, though I use it daily. I'm sure a cheaper one would be perfect for home use. Always rated Makita drills though never had experience with an impact
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 20:29   #4
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Have a mate who is a scaffolder, sure he has Makita, uses it all the time if you want details say and I will ask, personally I use a normal battery drill as I am constantly changing from off road to on road, I just crack them off and jack up and do the rest with the drill, finishing of with a torque wrench every time, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 21:07   #5
jims-terrano

B&Q and Screwfix sell a brand is it eberspaucher or something. They now do a range of cordless tools that all take the same battery, buy the tool without battery sort of thing. Problem with a cordless tool is that unless the tool is used regularly the battery goes flat so a single tool only used occasionally risks a flat battery every time it’s needed.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 21:18   #6
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Depends on the quality, I last year purchased used De Walt 36 volt kit with 4 batteries 2 dated 2009 and 2 2014, all still going strong, the circular saw is just like a mains powered version, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 22:18   #7
macabethiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
B&Q and Screwfix sell a brand is it eberspaucher or something. They now do a range of cordless tools that all take the same battery, buy the tool without battery sort of thing. Problem with a cordless tool is that unless the tool is used regularly the battery goes flat so a single tool only used occasionally risks a flat battery every time it’s needed.
If it's Erbauer I had a corded hedge trimmer from Tesco it lasted less than two seasons before the blades just jammed on the thinest twig as the motor just gave up on power so I will avoid that one.

TBH the new Li-ion batteries seem pretty good, either way I am looking at slowly changing so all my power tools share the same battery fitting albeit at different Ah's.
Old 24-04-2019, 22:31   #8
macabethiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
Pin type is meant for use up high and prevents the socket from falling of in the event of a knock or something. Friction ring is for everyone else. I personally have the milwaukee one and it works great, though I use it daily. I'm sure a cheaper one would be perfect for home use. Always rated Makita drills though never had experience with an impact
At present am looking at a Milwuakee as SGS Tools are based in Derby and do great prices, just not sure about the need to go for the high torque version I like the look of this one - it would be a one off purchase so would get the best I can afford.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/m18f...ench-bare-unit
OR lower torque.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/m18f...teries-charger

Might be an overkill GMC tools do some good priced stuff too.
Old 24-04-2019, 22:43   #9
GregT

Vehicle: 95 2.7TD SWB 98 2.7TI SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
At present am looking at a Milwuakee as SGS Tools are based in Derby and do great prices, just not sure about the need to go for the high torque version I like the look of this one - it would be a one off purchase so would get the best I can afford.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/m18f...ench-bare-unit
OR lower torque.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/m18f...teries-charger

Might be an overkill GMC tools do some good priced stuff too.
Thats where I get my Milwaukee stuff too. Have a tool truck come round every 3 weeks and he does them but just cant compete on price with SGS. Saying that mine is the version one and Im pretty sure I paid around £300 with 2 batteries, the one you linked to is the bare tool. Having a quick looks it's seems the Mid tourqe is now the same as the old high tourqe that I have and it's never failed to undo a nut, it's even out performed my bosses Snap On one and at more than twice the price I was a little smug...
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 19:58   #10
macabethiel

Thumbs up Decided to be sensible and go for a somewhat cheaper one!

After much mulling it over as I am only going to use a Cordless Impact for wheel changes (mainly) decided to go for a cheaper option than the Milwaukee that in the end as a non professional user was an overkill.

Bought a £209.98 Kielder 700 NM 1/2" impact driver on e-bay with just the one battery a 4.0 Ah one made by Samsung. I like the tool holder that fits inside a spare wheel might be a Christmas present from me to me. Comes with a 3 year warranty.

https://www.kielder.co/
Old 29-04-2019, 23:32   #11
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
After much mulling it over as I am only going to use a Cordless Impact for wheel changes (mainly) decided to go for a cheaper option than the Milwaukee that in the end as a non professional user was an overkill.

Bought a £209.98 Kielder 700 NM 1/2" impact driver on e-bay with just the one battery a 4.0 Ah one made by Samsung. I like the tool holder that fits inside a spare wheel might be a Christmas present from me to me. Comes with a 3 year warranty.

https://www.kielder.co/
You will have to let us know how you get on with it.

I bought a second hand Chicago Pneumatic air gun, but it was knackered, and would not even undo a stiff nut.

I then got a cheap Sealey one, from the Motor Factors, and it's a lot better, but it really does not cope with tight nuts, and I usually have to get the breaker bar out to loosen them first. Basically, it copes with anything up to about 75ft/lb, but tighter than that, and it just sits there knocking, but making no progress.

I have read of people using them to deliberately sheer off nuts on exhaust systems, but mine would never do that.
Lazy-Ferret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 07:56   #12
Rarche2002

Vehicle: Nissan patrol y61

I’ve got the dewalt one
Basically same as this it’s good for most things but I do find I need to get the big bar out for some things. However my mates got a Milwaukee one and it smokes everything not actually come across anything it won’t undo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rarche2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 10:24   #13
macabethiel

Thumbs up DeWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarche2002 View Post
I’ve got the dewalt one
Basically same as this it’s good for most things but I do find I need to get the big bar out for some things. However my mates got a Milwaukee one and it smokes everything not actually come across anything it won’t undo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You are right the Milwaukee one is a brilliant specification but for me at £400 with batteries I just could not justify the outlay. Fifteen years ago when I did all my own suspension work it would have been a no brainer but I have to face up to the reality that age etc has got the better of me. I had a DeWalt drill some years ago and it was brilliant as was my old Makita.

I will be interested to see how the Kielder performs although for me wheel bolts it should not tax it any.
Old 30-04-2019, 11:31   #14
RJL Services

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano 2.7 2003

machine mart also do the Kielder impact too and a range of various bare tool only options spare batteries etc
RJL Services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 19:54   #15
macabethiel

Thumbs up The Kielder Impact Wrench has landed its TOOL TIME !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJL Services View Post
machine mart also do the Kielder impact too and a range of various bare tool only options spare batteries etc
Thanks, good to know as we have a local branch in Derby as well as SGS Engineering being on the ring road.

My Kielder Gadget arrived today - two days earlier than expected in a nice plastic type case with steel latches. Leaflet enclosed to say that whilst it is running in the maximum torque will not be reached until it has been used a few times.

First impression is it seems a well made bit of kit - heavier than I expected but it is quite compact & weighty - with a decent looking charger unit.

LED battery indicator with variable speed trigger action for Low & High Torque, defaults to High when in reverse, then remembers if you selected Low when going forwards again!

I will post again after it has done some work - well chuffed. The Gaffer made a remark to the effect that when she buys more shoes I should keep my trap shut. lol